Notices

Wow!!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow!!

I'm only about 40+ days sober. Maybe 2-3 times in the last week or so I have been having these little bursts of "joy". Usually when I'm driving in my car listening to a song I like on the radio. All in a span of about 1-2 minutes, I feel happy, confident, lucky, healthy and my body just tingles. It's definitely a natural high that feels great! And when I come down off my little natural high, I don't have nausea, regret, headaches, embarrasment, etc.... I think the music has something to do with it, but I know the soberiety definitely has something to do with it. Pretty cool stuff!! Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time, and, yes, I know what you're talking about.

I just walked to the store and passed a guy with a puppy. We chatted while I petted the pooch. A simple thing, but I got so much joy out of it.

Also went to church this morning, while their was no mass. Prayed, looked around at the beauty of the stained glass and felt the presence of it all. It was very moving, and I've done this the last three days.

Simple things. But if I were drinking, I'd be laying in bed riddled with anxiety and fear of everything.

Keep at it, it only gets better. Thanks for the uplifting post.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly Ghostlight, and thanks! I guess it can be summed up as just feeling the joy of being alive! I remember in 1988 my girlfriend at the time and I had met two of the members of the my favorite rock band (back then) Metallica. They were just sitting at an outdoor cafe in NYC and we walked right past them. I stopped, and went right up to them. They were really cool and I was lucky enough to get an autograph and picture. I was about 21 years old at the time and already a pretty heavy drinker. My girlfriend said to me the next day that in all the time she knew me, my meeting those guys was the first time she saw me "genuinely happy". Now we had known each other at that time for about 4 years. I didnt really make much of what she said, but always remembered that statement through my life. Now I do know that even with the booze, I've had "genuinely" happy occasions in my life. But I also know for a fact that in all my years of drinking, the booze has reduced considerably those random feelings of true happiness and joy. I'm sure with my newfound sobriety, those moments will get more and more frequent!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I know exactly what you mean. Well done on your sober time. I love natural highs, I know they are the best.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's great to hear, Betterlife. I do know what you mean, but it took me longer to feel that way - so you're doing great.

Why do we cling to our drinking habits - thinking we're enhancing our lives? We think we're making things fun & exciting, when it really sucks the joy right out of us. Glad you're finding yours again, Better!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Life is good for sure betterlife1

D
Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know just what you mean. At least once a day I find myself just smiling for no reason - I used to do that all of the time, but in the last few years every smile was forced, because of that dark cloud of "I know that I am killing myself and I can't stop" was hanging over me. When I drank, I knew that I would feel terrible the next day, so any joy I got while drinking was always dampened with that bad feeling.

Life is a lot more fun when you don't feel the shame and lack of self respect that drinking leads to. I love being free.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes i noticed this on my last sober stint, amazing!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A natural high is so amazing, I love them too.

I was driving home last night at around 10 - 11 pm and I had a brief moment of "This feels great!" because I was sober and I wasn't worried about cops or other drivers.

Keep it up Betterlife1 .
Old 11-19-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think we all of us sober folks know exactly what you are talking about. 'Smarvellous, ain't it?

I just wish I could better describe this feeling to the new members who are stuck on the fence about quitting, and still drinking. You did a fine job.