Notices

One Week Sober

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week Sober

It is Friday night, and I am sitting at home... Sober! As a matter of fact, I have now been sober for exactly one week. The first four days were very hard, but I have really started feeling better, both physically and mentally, over the past few days. However, tonight was a little more difficult because I am so used to getting absolutely hammered on Friday nights. I am very proud of my accomplishment so far, but I realize that I have a long way to go. Even though I have made it through the past 7 days without drinking, I feel a slight sense of emptiness inside. Like something is missing. Maybe I am just hungry. Haha! Anyway, although I do not feel completely happy tonight in my sober state of mind, I do feel a sense of satisfaction that I did not give in to the temptation of drinking on a Friday night. And i will take that as a victory for today. I am really looking forward to waking up sober on a Saturday morning for the first time in a very long time.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats to you. Stick with it and best of luck to you.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jester

I drank for 20 years - it was pretty central to my life...pivotal even - take that out and there's likely to be a bit of a hole there for a little while at least.

It takes a little time to learn exactly how to live sober.

A week is great - but it's the start of the journey I think - keep it up - you're doing great

D
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last friday i drank enough beer that my BAL was approx. .36. This is conservative as I slightly understated my actual consumption and overstated the time period. Here are some BAC generalizations:

.30% Stupor - Likely to pass out involuntarily (as opposed to lower BAC's where you may decide to stop drinking and go to sleep); if pass out, may be difficult for others to wake you; possible to die from alcohol poisoning or choking on vomit at this level and higher
.35% Equivalent to general anesthesia, breathing may stop.
.40% Coma likely, breathing and heartbeat slowed to dangerous levels due to slowdown in nerve activity.

I am lucky to be here and will NOT drink again. EVER
Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratualtions on a week!
That day 4 is a killer, isn't it? That's the day that always brought me back to drinking. Glad you made it past it.

Weekends are tough, too. Wish I had some sage advice to offer, except this, don't drink no matter what.
Do what you have to do to stay sober. Put it first in your life. Think that first drink through and what it leads to.

You can do it, and best to you.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jester, congratulations! Isn't that pride in yourself a wonderful feeling? Keep that feeling going and try to engage in activities that you used to enjoy. As far as a void is concerned, face it honestly. I would think a void would be a terrible hangover, anxiety, shame, guilt, self loathing and the inability to enjoy your day. A lot of people (non-alcoholics) have voids in their life. Sobriety gives you the opportunity to discover how to fill that void and how to give your life meaning. Keep strong and keep going
Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It feels so good right now to be able to enjoy my Saturday sober, without suffering from a hangover. I am so glad I didn't drink last night. Today is Day 8, and I am doing well.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on 8 days, that is superb!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8. It isn't easy for some of us that is for sure.

Keep strong.
CaiHong
Old 11-19-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 8!!! Drinking is so not worth it. I hope you had a great Saturday!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The first week is a big transition and can be hard but you've over came it with your chin up and a good attitude - Keep it up!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When you get cravings, or feel 'empty', eat some good food. A full stomach works wonders.