Notices

drinking in the morning

Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking in the morning

Is this the cardinal sin of alcoholism? How many of you have actually done this? When I was drinking I admit, I drank as early as my girlfriend would let me, but I had to at least spend a few sober hours with her everyday in order to maintain the relationship.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly did it, in the last few years of my alcoholism.
I couldn't function otherwise.

D
Old 11-05-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On the weekends yes, even before I had anything to eat. Disgusting really.

I never got round to drinking at work during the week, thank the Lord. But I did have awful withdrawl symptoms at work. Why do we put ourselves through this? There are better ways to live let me tell you. Anything is better IMHO.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would drink anytime I wanted to, whether it was the morning, afternoon, or night. In the end it didn't matter what time I started drinking. Alcohol was causing a problem in my life and I needed to stop.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been at stages in my addiction I would stop on my way to work not for coffee but one of those "energy beers." I also wake up every morning counting the hours to when I can drink. I am still fighting that habit.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

My alcoholism got so bad, that drinking was the last thing I did before I passed out and the first thing I did when I woke up.
Simply hell!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh God yes... I had to give up my coffee in the morning as it made my daily withdrawal anxiety so much worse. Instead I'd drink wine to calm down, and usually more than one glass, so I'd end up drunk in the middle of the morning and pass out. So glad those days are gone...
Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh, not *just* in the morning....i would drink *in bed*.
i just could not handle a second without enough alcohol in my blood stream.
as long as i wasn't sleeping, i was drinking.
and if i could drink in my sleep, believe me, i would have.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would drink by 11 am on weekends (except sunday after I moved due to alcohol laws in NC). I would heavily drink after work every day and the weekends were a free for all. The earliest I ever drank was probably 8 or 9 am, but it only happened once but I'm sure it would of progressed if I allowed it to.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i think several times i kep a jug of wine near my bed as i knew i would need it immediately upon wakening. but i also recall some utter hilarity from being drunk so early and laughing my ass off watching some early morning silly cartoon or such!

but over all, pretty scary stuff at that point
Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The last couple years before I quit I drank every morning, had to just to "function". Like pipedreamer, it was usually an "energy" beer on the way to work & then whatever I could use to maintain while at work.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Towards the end of my drinking I drank in the morning to function, to "smooth" things out for the day. I would start with wine and hit the hard liquor by noon, I always had my "water bottle" at my side. Wow, just thinking back to that makes me glad it's over.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didnt, I sometimes wanted to but I thought as long as I didnt drink before lunch I was not an alcoholic, I made up for it later in the day though.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would also drink in bed. I even kept a mixed drink or two ready under my bed so that when I woke through the night I could reach for it. It got really ridiculous in the last several months.. drinking to survive, before I ended up in the hospital - I mean constant drinking right around the clock, including at work and eveywhere else, because withdrawals would begin if I stopped even for an hour or two to sleep. I "had" to keep a stash in my purse, for fear of getting stuck somewhere for too long. I even had a "drinking bag" just for the office ... It was HELL 24/7, and definitely not enjoyable in ANY manner.... some mornings I'd be struggling, after getting up at 5:30 to get ready for work, to mix a drink while desperately trying (often failing) to keep the puke from coming up until I could finish assembling my drink and then get to the bathroom.. and trying to be so quiet about it - NOT very pretty, huh? Gross in fact. Sad..... and no one ever knew.

It is good(?) to know I am not the only one who got to that point .. it's scary.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep. If I had enough wine I wouldn't get out of bed for 2 or 3 days, sometimes if my housemate was home I'd even pee in an empty wine bottle so I didn't have to stumble past him to the toilet.

And eventually it was that behaviour that put me in the ICU.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep. My daily routine was to grab a cup of coffee and the bottle of Jack. 50/50 odds on which one I'd gulp first, and 50/50 odds on whether I'd vomit out my garage window with that first gulp. Most days I'd make it to work after I calmed down, but some days I'd over do it and be too drunk to stumble in by 9am.

In my experience, drinking in the morning is not the cardinal sin, but only a step in the progression of alcoholism. It gets worse. Thankfully, I have a solution today that's kept me peacefully sober for many years.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been living with roommates or boyfriends or a combination of the two for most of my adult life. There is no way I would have gotten away with heavy drinking in the morning. However, if I was living alone for however long and had a schedule that allowed it, I would eventually get into a routine that involved drinking as early as socially acceptable(usually around noon). I always dreaded my family finding out that I had a problem and did the minimum I needed to to stay normal and functioning.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sometimes I would drink in the morning to get rid of my anxiety. If I knew I didn't have to drive the kids anywhere for the day it was a free for all. I told a women in AA that I drank at 7:00 am once. It was ridiculous there was a snowstorm and school was cancelled so in 10 inches of snow I drove to the store right when it opened. She replied that my your really an alcoholic. I just looked at her and thought well what are you.

It's horrible to look at all the time and energy I wasted on drinking, getting my alcohol and all the crazy thinking of planning when I would drink.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Yes, but most of the days I would invariably end up not being able to keep it down. It got to be a lot of work to drink, vomit, have the dry heaves for a while, get my bearings, and then try drinking again.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Yes, but most of the days I would invariably end up not being able to keep it down. It got to be a lot of work to drink, vomit, have the dry heaves for a while, get my bearings, and then try drinking again.
I had the exact same problem. It's amazing how one part works so hard to protect you from harm while another part is trying it's best to destroy you.