Notices

I WAS Doing Good

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I WAS Doing Good

I was 8 days sober and feeling great both physically and mentally. I was starting to truly appreciate the "new me". Last night a very long-time friend called me and needed/wanted to talk. I got very nervous because of His drinking and knew that when we met up he would most likely already be intoxicated and have beer with him. I had not informed him that I had not been drinking. I did not binge but did drink 7 beers. I guess not too big of a deal other than I have to re-start counting the days again. I did not feel very good this morning. Interestingly I get a worse hangover when I drink 6 drinks than I do when I binge and have 15 or more. I was very disappointed in myself but it did reinforce my desire to completely abstain and recognize that for the time being I can not place myself in situations where people are drinking. This site has been very helpful during the past 8 days but have concluded that I need to search for a sponsor. Someone I can call when confronted with those types of situations. I should have known better and wish I could have exercised better self-control. I hope I can get control over this without hitting a rock bottom.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It was my first relapse, at 14 days, that convinced me I TRULY had a problem. I have been successful since, almost 14 months sober.

If I may suggest something. Tell this very long-time friend you've quit and that you'd appreciate if they'd respect your decision by not coming to see you drunk or with alcohol and the intent of getting drunk. Or else you won't see them! You must set boundries that have your recovery as the priority. Not the feelings of your friends, who, if they are your friends, should respect your request.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. Very good point. If they can not appreciate what I am trying to do then I should not consider them a friend.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Valuesobriety View Post
Thank you. Very good point. If they can not appreciate what I am trying to do then I should not consider them a friend.
Very true, VS. Your survival and your life depend on this understanding.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

These little relapses can make our resolve stronger---just don't do it again! Lol.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

It is a journey and we are learning all the time. There is always a reason to drink.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we have to be very, very careful in early sobriety about who we spend time with and where we go. I couldn't be around people who were drinking for many months when I began recovery. There are some hard choices to be made.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here VS. Good to have you back

D