Notices

Hey everyone

Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone

About two or three months ago I started realizing that my drinking had increased to daily and earlier and earlier each day to the point that I knew that I had a problem. If I don't stop drinking it will only get worse until it's completely out of my control. I started drinking this way as a relief for anxiety and panic attacks I was experienced, but as I'm sure most of you know, this only makes things worse in the long run. I have totally lost my desire to drink, but I am so afraid to quit because I'm not sure if I have been drinking long enough to cause some serious withdrawal symptoms. I just want to stop and not feel so attached to this addiction anymore. It's only been a year or so and I look forward to starting over before it's too late. Good luck to everyone on their journey to freedom as well.
Mike
Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. If you are drinking daily you should get some medical assistance with your detox. Abruptly stopping your alcohol intake can be dangerous.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I did figure as much from what I have read lurking around this forum. (really good honest info) I guess it should be noted that before I was drinking everyday, whenever I would drink I would binge like crazy. This goes back to my teen years and the first times I ever drank, addiction is in my nature. I just have a lot of trouble during the day when I start feeling super anxious in determining whether it is alcohol induced or just my anxiety that I have had since I was 8 years old
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're here chedwerks. Talk to a dr for sure and keep on posting!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi chedwerks

Good to have you here

I agree that seeing a Dr is the safest move - at least you can set your mind at rest. You could ask them about the anxiety too?

You'll find a lot of ideas and support here about staying sober - welcome!

D
Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes. I appreciate that. I'm really nervous because I start a new job tomorrow. I haven't gone until eight pm without drinking in a long time. Definitely anxious
Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mike. You sound motivated to get control of your life again. Starting a new job is a good time to reconsider what you've been doing to yourself. You'll want a clear head and calm nerves. You're so right - drinking only makes our anxiety worse.

Wishing you a good day tomorrow as you start your new job. Glad you reached out for support and encouragement.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first few days can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster Mike - but you'll always find support here

If you can keep moving forward and not drink, things will get better

D
Old 11-02-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Please seek medical help if your withdrawals become bad, if you're feeling really awful or strange. Detox can indeed be dangerous. Be safe.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chedwerks, welcome.

My anxiety was off the charts - and the reason I kept drinking. I highly recommend letting your doctor in on what's going on (and that in itself is a good way to help with the anxiety). Once you stop with the boozing, and give your body and mind a chance, you WILL feel better...the bloody booze is causing the dread. It's keeping you in HELL. You can do this!