Notices

I forgot how good this feels. Day 8 and no hangover today.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I forgot how good this feels. Day 8 and no hangover today.

I am a weekend binger. Usually Fri night, Saturday from pre-noon to wee hours, then Sunday a.m. to mid afternoon. Sunday night/Monday is unbearable, followed by bearable but crappy Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday, I used to think I was feeling "good", and Friday, even better. Just in time to start again.

Well, this week, I DID NOT drink this weekend, and found that on Saturday, Sunday and today, I feel about 20 times better than even my best Friday where I thought I was fully physically recovered and feeling quite spiffy (and technically, on day 5 without the booze in my system).

I think I had this same experience when I quit drinking a year and a half ago for the first time (only had 4 months then). But I had forgotten all about that once I started drinking again.

I realize this is only day 8, and I'm likely to feel even better than I do at the present moment (which is pretty darn well and good), but I had a little realization...maybe a big one. I realized that even though I told myself that I ONLY drink on weekends, that 1) I was recovering from the effects all the rest of the week, so, does it really matter that I only poured the booze down on weekends...oh, and "only" weekends equals 43% of the week, by the way. Also realized that 2) I felt like hammered dog poop even on Friday without even realizing it. And finally 3) All this combined was why I couldn't ever seem to manage to get to taking care of many things that needed attention. Everything from my eating habits to making doctor's appointments. I was using all available energy to do just the very bare minimum of everything. How could anyone ever improve anything in that state??? You can't! At least I couldn't. I did a lot at work, (and who knows how much more I could even do now?) but everything else pretty much went to hell in a hand basket. I have done more stuff in the past two days than I've done in the past 8 months, easily. And I'm not even exhausted today. It's quite amazing to me.

Again, I know it's very early - but wow. What a difference from day 5 to day 8. I would've never believed it had it not actually happened to me. I hope I can hang on to this.

HS
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations on day 8, keep enjoying that feeling. It only gets better from here on out!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool, I wish I felt that way. I feel like crap when I get off the booze. I'm tired, can't sleep, no appetite, wanna sleep ALL THE TIME (but can't), irritable, in pain all over and bored....I'm happy for you!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is how it is for me too humble. Day 7 or 8 is pretty darn good. Day 10 or 11 is my scary day because I am feeling way to good and those are the days I fell back into it. Done with that though. I need to get busy again. The hooch used to jump start my ambition and creativity until it took it away.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rooblet - I am fearing exactly what you describe. I am making some plans to avoid doing that very thing. My brain just feels so clear today. Even my work, which I usually look upon as drudgery, is feeling quite "easy" to me today. I don't want to lose that! The clarity is just so stark in comparison to what has become my "normal".
Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stick it out and congrats! I've made my plans too.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8 humble.

Are you working a plan if you intend to stop drinking? This can be very tricky if that's your goal.

I have repeatedly relapsed so I can't say my plans have worked out to where I need to be but the first few times with just sheer willpower never lasted much more than 2 weeks. That's just my experience. Last year I had several long stretches of being sober but the recovery part was and is still a work in progress. Clearly if I relapsed I missed something along the way and need to work on it.

Things do get better the longer you stay away from alcohol but for me , alcohol is just a big piece of a puzzle of how to live and deal with problems without going back to the bottle.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling good HS

D