Notices

Let me formally introduce myself.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Let me formally introduce myself.

I drink uncontrollably. To the point that I have shakes so bad I can even put on my makeup without getting pissed at myself. My husband is back from prison, because he was so abusive he almost killed me a few times. He is a new man, alcohol is poison, and i respect that, because its killing me slowly, but surely. I am 25. My alcohol dependance is insane. I want to be rid of this sick disease. I was hoping for rehab through my job, it was rejected. So, back at square one. (I was really counting on rehab). have wrecked 3 cars, ran over my husband with a car on accident, and the sad thing is, I still dont put the drink down. I am completely lost. All I know is, I want to see my litle girl grow up. Anyway, thats just a PART of my story, but I had to get it out. Thanks for reading.

Dom.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery, it sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to quit, but in the end you need to quit for yourself. You can do it!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dominica I find the support here great.

Have you any support at this time? Withdrawals can - and do - kill people. Have you checked in with a doctor yet? Please take care of yourself.

M
Old 10-22-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I am working on getting medical help, my financial situation at the time is definitely not optimal. but thanks for the support. This forum is amazing.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear your rehab was rejected. You seem to have a good handle on what the issue is and I pray that you can find good program that will get you the assistance you need. Hugs
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I thought your job offered you the option of rehab? Now you say it's been rejected - why? I'm confused. I thought the offer of rehab was to save your job... What reason did they give for rejecting/withdrawing their offer of rehab for you?

Your husband went to prison for almost killing you "a few times" and you're back with him?? I'm really confused...
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dominica, welcome. I've been reading your posts and I am sorry to hear your rehab option is not available anymore. I would strongly suggest you don't give up hope, as a solution may be just around the corner, but only if you make a concerted effort to quit drinking.

It is probably a good idea to go and seek medical advice as cutting back from your current levels of consumption could be life threatening. Continuing to drink at these levels or higher should not be an option to you right now. Do something. Anything you can, something that is a step in the right direction. Even if that's a medically supervised tapering down, it's still a step forwards.

I am not going to give advice concerning your husband because I do not know the whole story. Relationship decisions should be made with a clear sober mind anyway. Good luck and please keep posting here.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm new here today so don't have any words of advice or encouragement yet but I just wanted to wish you all the best good luck x
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

You probably already know this, but there are plenty of us who drank and drugged who did not try and kill anyone...let alone a few times. I'm assuming you put that piece of info in there either consciously or not because you are reaching out in that regard.

If anyone tried to kill me once, that would be it. Sober or not.

Do you have any sort of plan in mind for quitting?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm going to back up Least on this one, I thought your job offered it to you but you could not afford it? I really hope that you can find a free clinic in your area that will offer immediate help because you really need it (and you want it, which is awesome). Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

There are probably other rehab options.. I know the Salvation Army offers rehab at no cost to folks who can't afford it. A lot of counselors will also work with you on a sliding scale fee. Course, AA is free and I think you've been to some meetings if I'm remembering correctly. I know I was stuck in the same deadly cycle, until I was willing to do anything in the world to get and stay sober. My work offered me 'treatment' (whatever was recommended by our mental health providers), well that didn't include rehab so I was a bit on my own. I found an addictions psychologist near me that accepted my insurance and worked w/ me on copays, but couldn't get in to see him for a week.. although AA wasn't the program I worked, I went to a meeting every night during the 'witching hours' of my normal drinking time until I could get my butt in to see someone about this stuff. Almost 3 years later now, I saved my life.. and created a life that I'm incredibly proud of, and a serenity that is precious to me. I hope you find it in you to save your life, it really can be a beautiful journey.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do check out your local Salvation Army which will offer free rehab for anyone who is interested.

It sounds like alcohol has caused a lot of problems in your life, so I hope that you can begin to live a sober life.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So please update us on your situation. Are you still working? What did they tell you about 'rejecting' their offer of rehab for you? I certainly hope you get into rehab before you lose your job and even possibly your family or have an accident or something equally awful.

If your job won't send you to rehab are they still going to keep you as an employee? I hope you can get this all worked out soon.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Several people have suggested contacting The Salvation Army. Someone even looked up the number and posted it for you. Have you contacted them?

The Salvation Army offers free rehab to anyone who wants it.

This is the contact info:

2228 Broadway St
Galveston, TX 77550-4640, United States
(409) 763-1691
If you want to see your little girl grow up, you will have to take some action. No one else can do it for you.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

yes, today actually. I am waiting on a call back by tomorrow. Until then, drastically reducing my intake. Thanks, Paper.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Least, yes I will still be keeping my job, as long as my attendence is up to par. They still have couselors calling me everyday, trying to talk me through it. I contacted SA today, and they will give me medical leave if the SA accepts me. Until then, I am just waiting. Thanks for the concern, havent been online in a couple days steadily.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

To clear everything up with my husband, He was a very abusive alcoholic, that would drink a bottle of rum a night (we both did). It would escalate into something horrible, almost every time. He has done his time for that, and now he is completely sober and wont touch a drop. He has changed dramatically. The only time he was like that was during his terrible benders. We have worked long and hard on everything and we have almost been together 10 years in Feb. and I am happy to report, he is the person he was before, not the monster he was when he was drinking.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the awesome update! So very happy you're doing everything to better yourself Dominica.