Notices

Hello, new to this...

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello, new to this...

Hi there

I'm Stephen, 23 years old living in the UK and I've come to terms with the fact that I'm an alcoholic.

I started to drink a bit more than you're usual person at 18 (at home mostly), various things ended up escalating my drinking, smoking and caused serious depression at 19. It wasn't too much but for a skinny guy it was more than enough for me - maybe 8 to 12 bottles of lager a day.

Let's just say a 4-5 years later and I've drank away most of my money, I'm at the stage where I drink almost every single day and it's generally 20 to 40 units. I've gone from 11 stone to 17 stone in the space of 2 years. My fiance was very upset with my drinking, we'd argue and I felt imprisoned by her so I would hide my habit when she's at work or sneak it in the house for when she's asleep. If there's alcohol in the house, I HAVE to drink it, even if it's 7am.

All the while I am self employed and became incredibly lazy! I no longer work much at home, my bank balance hasn't seen much activity over the last few months. Mostly because I was drinking and put off my responsibilities.

I've finally come to admit that I have a problem with alcohol and it's affecting me and others around me. I decided to go sober a few days ago, I've been unable to share this with anybody but my other half because I kept my drinking secret to most. This is why I've come to this forum to share what I am doing and hopefully to relate and help others if possible. I know some of you may have had/have experiences with alcohol 10x more severe than my own but I feel it's still a major problem for anybody at any stage. So that's why I'm 3 days sober hoping for 300 more, and then 300 more!

I apologize if this is a long introduction, I wanted to make it a proper introduction, hopefully it isn't depressing!

Kind Regards
Stephen
Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Stephen! I'm so happy you are here!

I know what it is like to be enslaved to alcohol, and it sure does create a feeling of laziness, or a feeling like you are unable to change.

I would suggest seeing a doctor to consult on the side effects of withdrawal, because it can be very scary, but with proper planning under medical advice you've nothing to worry about.

You have definitely found the right place; SR has helped me tremendously in my sobriety. I was 23 when I first decided to try to get sober and it took me a couple years to figure it out. Now I'm 26 and I've been sober for 6 months and life is so much better. It's not perfect, but I wouldn't trade my life now for how I was living back then for ANYTHING!

Keep posting here, and best wishes in your efforts!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oh and btw, after quitting drinking I was really able to start tackling my own depression and mental health issues. For many people they clear up or get a lot better by not drinking, and some like me require further efforts (medication, therapy) but I can assure you that as long as you are drinking you won't be able to address it.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

The only person I'm in competition with is my self. Everyone's story is their own.

Are you thoroughly convinced you're done? Or had enough? If you drink again, do you think life is not worth anything? Are you willing to go to any length to stay sober?
AA would help at this point. Otherwise try another program. There are many available!
Best Wishes!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Stephen

Most of what you've written certainly resonates with me.
There's no hierarchy to misery really

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here - welcome

D
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome

I really feel the desire to ride this out by myself with willpower and determination, prove to myself that I am in control of my life and I can change my future. A doctor may be a good idea but I want to hold off any meetings unless I feel like I might cave in. Even if it's a 10% chance.

My fiance really has little faith in me, especially after I confessed everything she already suspected. My parents were angry at me for confessing and saw it as me trying to ruin their lives - they're not speaking to me now. I've tried to quit before but for some reason, this time, it feels so much different. I feel like this is it and I can't wait till I'm 10 years sober and enjoying life without the aid of alcohol to make me feel good.

Sugarbear I think if I drank again it wouldn't be the end of the world, say in 1 years time I have a drink at a wedding etc, but I don't want to drink at all ever. I wouldn't want to risk going back into my habits, I also see no reason for me to drink to have fun or socialize or even to feel good - life has other pleasures that can't be found at the bottom of a bottle.

I put my depression aside almost 2 years ago, I did see a doctor and get medication but I don't use it now. When I drink it sometimes makes me feel depressed but that's usually the alcohol reminiscing with me.

In short, I want to do a lot of things in my life, especially in business so I need to overcome my problems and move on. I think this forum is a great community and I already feel more than welcome.

Kind Regards
Stephen
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Stephen. I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Welcome aboard, Stephen. I'm glad you found us.
Thank you
Old 10-01-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Stephen, you sound like someone with their head screwed on right. You know that this drinking has got to stop, even with the misgivings and lack of support from those close to you.

Keep at it, looking for your solution to your puzzle. Lots of great folks here a SR to talk to and encourage you. Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Stick around here! Great support at SR.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Stephen! Thanks for sharing your story!

SR has been a HUGE source of comfort and support to me in my early journey and I know you will find the same.

Keep that commitment and resolve going strong and you will most certainly succeed!! All the very best to you!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Stephen,

I am so grateful that you found SR....it has helped me immensely. As far as parental support and support from your SO goes, let it be. You will prove to them, by your sobriety, that you are stronger than they ever thought you were. More importantly, you will find the self-esteem that comes along with conquering the desire to drink. I am happy that you realize this at such a young age! You have so much to live for and give to others. Oh, and did you know that anti-depressants don't work when mixed with alcohol? I didn't believe that until I stopped drinking for awhile and experienced the difference....was it not drinking that was making me want to live again, or was it the anti-depressants working? Probably both. Please take care of yourself, and keep your head high. You are doing the best thing you could possibly do for yourself. And keep in touch with us....we care and understand.

Last edited by sissy07; 10-01-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Stephen - we're glad you're here!

Coming here every day keeps me grounded, and I know you'll find lots of support and inspiration here too. It really does get better and easier to resist the urges to drink as time goes on.

Stay focused on you, and like sissy's post said: after you get some sober time behind you, your loved ones will see the difference.

Keep reading and posting - you can do this!:day6
Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!