Notices

Is This A Relapse??

Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Is This A Relapse??

After 18 months of being clean my friend decided to use and bought crack. The thing is the crack was fake (drywall) & he was ripped off. After getting home he called me and a few other friends and he did not go back. I believe this is considered a relapse because he actually purchased the drug, put in the pipe and tried to smoke it. Any advise?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

More importantly figure out why he decided to do it in the first place.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, it's a relapse. He intended to use. Relapse is much more than just the action, it is the frame of mind. He took all the steps to use, so yeah, I'd consider it a relapse.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No relapse, didn't use
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not again

Yep, relapse...and as was so kindly pionted out, it's the actions and behaviors prior to picking up aka; relapse mode.
Had your friend actually found the real thing that would have been active using.

I am always confused by people who say they relapse after being clean for a week or two, because I can't phathom what changes actually occured in such a brief period of time. Our attitudes and behaviors which took years to instill cannot be changed overnight. It takes time and effort to become a "different" person. The way we act and react to all the situations life presents. Relapse is a returning to old behaviors, a slip is picking up after a sober spell.
That's my take on the whole thing.

Hope your day is a pleasant one
Larry
Old 09-29-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, that was a very bad move, but it wasn't a relapse. In order for a relapse to occur the person has to actually use the substance. Maybe the best way to put it is that he TRIED to relapse.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

When you ask our opinions, that's what you get...opinions. Relapse occurs in the brain long before any substance is introduced to the system. His brain relapsed, whether or not he actually got any crack in his body or not. Semantics can kill an addict.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Here's what I wrote on another forum when we were discussing the concept of relapse/sobriety:

For me, if sobriety simply represents the time span measured between drinks, then there is no sobriety there without a mindset. I realize that a lot of programs measure sobriety that way, and maybe they have to so that "they" can quantify it.

For example, when I tried to quit drinking with limited "successes" of a few days, weeks, or months between, I failed each time because I had never truly made the decision that I was a non-drinker. I have been a non-drinker many years now, and I consider myself sober. By my definition, if I make a dinner date with my husband that includes wine tasting tonight, I am no longer sober even before I get there.

You could drive yourself crazy with semantics. I don't know what AVRT has to say about this, but for me the concept of sobriety becomes trite if it is viewed as just a physiologic state and not a psychological construct.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
When you ask our opinions, that's what you get...opinions. Relapse occurs in the brain long before any substance is introduced to the system. His brain relapsed, whether or not he actually got any crack in his body or not. Semantics can kill an addict.
Well put, Suki!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Your friend is an idiot, which in this case appears to have played to his advantage, but to answer your question, no. He might do well to ask himself WTF was going through his mind, however.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a degree in Criminal Justice. When I got my degree (many moons ago LOL) I learned the definition of CRIME. Opportunity + Desire = Crime.
Guess what, the same applies to addiction. Opportunity + Desire = Addiction. If you eliminate one or the other... You can't have the sum. This is why I do not, nor do not want to know, anyone who deals... W/D will cause the best people on earth to do things WAY out of character.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If a tree falls in the forrest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

relapse is the action of using, not the action of buying the drug and not using
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

With my history, relapse definitely started with my intent...the act of relapse itself was the end of the process, not the beginning....so I'd have to disagree with those of you who feel otherwise

D
Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just out of curiosity - what kind of damage can smoking drywall cause? Doesn't sound too appetizing or good for the lungs....

(I was going to make a joke about whether or not you can get high from drywall but knew I would get lambasted for it on this board - and rightly so ...therfore apologies for the thought -- my mind is a wee bit off - no sleep in a VERY long time....)
Old 10-01-2011, 03:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My opinion: The act of relapse involves physically using the drug or substance so therefore in this case he has not relapsed. However, your friend is still an addict (not a recovering addict) there is a difference! The fact that he was actively trying to use is confirmation that he is not in recovery (physically and mentally). Sooner or later his addiction will drive him straight back to the same place.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by mrjive55 View Post
relapse is the action of using, not the action of buying the drug and not using
He did perform the action of using; he bought it, loaded the pipe and smoked it. It just wasn't what he thought it was.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

M opinion...I don't believe he relapsed. The more important thing is that he only did it once and didn't get high.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have another friend who was arrested for attempting to buy crack from an undercover cop. He had been 14months clean & even showed his 1 year NA tag to the cop. I guess it goes to show you that it is always dangerous buying illegal drugs off the street.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

If he wanted to drink, found a bottle, drank and discovered it was water...relase, yes, but that started before he acted on it. Change sobriety date, no. realize his higher power stopped him from dying? Definitely Divine Intervention, work those steps now. Or choose not living