Notices

New to this web site

Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rob

New to this web site

Good morning, I'm new to this web site but not new to alchoholism. I've been sober 6 years +. Long story but I'm willing to share if you ask. 2 things caught my attention as I read some of the posts. 1) Concerns about what people think if you admit you have a drinking problem. You will find your real friends will support you, the others will just fade away. 2) letting your mind tell you you can controll your drinking. Alcoholism is a physical and mental addiction it is one of the reasons you need support. Your mind is going to try to rationalize your drinking and you will not be in controll. You can not drink. I'm here for support or to tell my story which ever you prefer, just let me know.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for that because all morning that's exactly what my mind has been doing. Telling me I can control it. It wasn't that bad. I can't stop drinking while living with my husband who is a heavy drinker so I might as well keep going and be very careful about it til we either divorce or he gets sober too. I'm so scared of what my head is doing I am in tears. If it helps any the short version is I'm 45 year old housewife, 47 days sober. I have lupus and am in a lot of physical pain. A husband who drinks. A lot. 4 kids. One of whom has brain cancer. I first went to AA at age 20, have been in and out with longest period of sobriety 14 months. So I am a chronic slipper. I come in with the best of intentions and then after a month or two my brain tells me I'm fine that I'm just depressed or something not alcoholic. Plus to be honest there's an awful lot to cope with right now without alcohol as my crutch. I'm afraid I'll drink again. Have high anxiety about it and am in constant tears. I could use any words of wisdom you or anyone has. Would also love to hear your story. Thank you for reading this.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rob

my story

I'm 56 yrs old man, and was a social drinker most of my life. Eight years ago stress from home and work be came too much my drinking became an escape (I thought) all it did was make the stress worse, so more drinking, more stress, more drinking- you see where this is going. I went on a year long bender, broke my marriage, had to transfer to a new position to keep my job, lost my health. Went into detox week before Christmas 2004. it still took 5 more months to beat the beast, by then It was to late for my health. My liver was shot, doctor said I could not drink for 1 year before I could get on a transplant list, if I live that long. Sobering thought. They do not give liver transplant to alcoholics. I had to 2 very good doctors and good health insurance, otherwise I would not be writing this. It has been 6 years now (first 3 were in and out of doctors offices and hospitals). I have been on a transplant list for 5 yrs. A stent in my liver called a T.I.P.S. keeps me going and I may someday get off the list but will always have the stent, which has to be checked every 6 months. Stress does not bother me now, I have faced it sober and I know I can deal with it with out the need to drink.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Neldon - congratulations on your 6 years.
I hope you get that transplant soon

D
Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Neldon. I tanked badly in my 50's, too. I'm so sorry to hear of your health troubles, & pray you'll have relief soon. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tuesday

Welcome Neldon. The chat rooms are a great way to meet people. Hope to see you there.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!