Notices

Possible to go through withdrawl after one serious bender?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Possible to go through withdrawl after one serious bender?

Hi everyone. First time poster. I've been a problem drinker for about ten years now. I don't drink daily anymore, and a two years ago I was sober for six months straight. I didn't experience much of a withdrawal, just some insomnia. I went back to the booze after those six months, thinking I could control myself. I'm going through a divorce and not in the best place psychologically at the moment. I just also turned 35, which I'm not happy about. Anyway, I took this past week off from work. Over the course of four days, I sat alone in my apartment and had 91 drinks. (I did an inventory of the empties this morning.) Eventually I hit rock bottom. I'm now experiencing the worst anxiety I've ever felt in my life, I'm sweating a lot more than usual, I have no appetite, my skin is cold and clammy, and every time I try to lay down, my head is filled with all sorts of random nightmarish things (which is not normal for me). Does this sound familiar to any of you? Should I be seeking medical attention?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. Alcoholism is progressive. 91 drinks in 4 days is alot of alcohol. Those feelings you describe do go along with alcohol withdrawal. I would suggest getting checked out by a Dr if you are concerned. There is a first time for everything, and alcohol is no respecter of persons. Certainly if the symptoms continue or become worse, I would strongly recommend that you seek some type of medical attention--including the ER if you need to. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I'd expect to feel the way you do after that kind of bender, BirdHockey.

I do think getting checked out by the Dr is the sensible thing to do - detox can be tough sometimes - even when we've done it many times before.

D
Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been there and it's not pretty, but I didn't drink near as much. we're not allowed to give medical advice here, but I think you might be feeling quite craptastic for the next few days....both upper and lower GI upset, sweaty clammy, increased HR and unable to sleep...you are probably also dehydrated?

You should consider the local ER and tell them how much you drank and how long it's been since your last drink. they may need to admit you or keep you for a few hours and discharge you to home...do you have anyone who can stay with you?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that's a lot of alcohol, so please do be careful and talk to your dr.

There is lots of support here too, so let us know how you're doing.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

"Possible to go through withdrawl after one serious bender?"

You don't even need a bender, serious or not. What do you think hangovers are? (hint, hint, hint; the answer starts with 'w' and ends with 'l')...... LOLOL

NoelleR
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

It's definitely possible. Withdrawal gets worse and more intense each time (it's called "kindling"). You should definitely see a doc.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was there 16 days ago. I'm nervous, sad, and my stomach is going in circles just to imagine what your experiencing.....It brings me back to my last detox. Hang in there it will pass. Try to drink some soup not eat drink..take sips....lot's of juice, gatorade, try to stay away from pure water......drink Tang. Try to walk the anxiety and keep hydarting yourself. Eventually you'll be able to eat. If you feel you can't handle it go to ER. It will pass I promise, tomorrow will be a better day. What ever you do don't take another drink. Try to think positive. If you believe in a Higher power (god) and you have a Bible....try to read PSALMS 42:2,3,5..PSALMS 91 for sleep without nightmares...God loves us..He wants to take us out of the darkness and bring us onto the light.. Drinking is no longer fun...It just brings us pain and more pain...I'm here for you!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your posts. They gave me great comfort. I've been given benzodiazepines as a precaution against seizures or DT's for the next few days. I've always been averse to abstinence-only approaches, and I'm generally under control when times are good, but the past few weeks have taught me that I have little or no control when things are bad. Someone once told me that a brick house can withstand hurricane winds, but you can't build a brick house during a hurricane. Maybe it's time to try AA.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yep thats withdrawl.
i feel for you..i have been there many times..
it never gets any better.
hope this is your last time..
i wouldn't wish wd on my worst enemy.
good luck and just think in a couple of days you will be feeling soo much better.
i found that it ususally took a hundred hours of being very uncomfortable,before i started feeling a whole lot better.
hang in there and take the advice given on this site
Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BirdHockey View Post
Hi everyone. First time poster. I've been a problem drinker for about ten years now. I don't drink daily anymore, and a two years ago I was sober for six months straight. I didn't experience much of a withdrawal, just some insomnia. I went back to the booze after those six months, thinking I could control myself. I'm going through a divorce and not in the best place psychologically at the moment. I just also turned 35, which I'm not happy about. Anyway, I took this past week off from work. Over the course of four days, I sat alone in my apartment and had 91 drinks. (I did an inventory of the empties this morning.) Eventually I hit rock bottom. I'm now experiencing the worst anxiety I've ever felt in my life, I'm sweating a lot more than usual, I have no appetite, my skin is cold and clammy, and every time I try to lay down, my head is filled with all sorts of random nightmarish things (which is not normal for me). Does this sound familiar to any of you? Should I be seeking medical attention?
Just ride it out....withdrawals do pass.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

posting here helps my anxiety too.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BirdHockey View Post

Over the course of four days, I sat alone in my apartment and had 91 drinks. (I did an inventory of the empties this morning.) Eventually I hit rock bottom. I'm now experiencing the worst anxiety I've ever felt in my life, I'm sweating a lot more than usual, I have no appetite, my skin is cold and clammy, and every time I try to lay down, my head is filled with all sorts of random nightmarish things (which is not normal for me). Does this sound familiar to any of you? Should I be seeking medical attention?
That's nearly a case a day four days in a row. That definitely would have given me the DT's.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

If you keep messing with your blood pressure like this you're just stressing your heart. Best wishes.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting tonight and met someone with almost my exact story. We both went to the same college. We're roughly the same age. We both got sober for six months, then thought we could go back. Then we both lost our wives. He told me about a lot of other local meetings where I'd fit in. I feel lucky tonight. Thanks to all.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thrilled you are being pro active and wish success as you move into sober healthy future....