Notices

Are they real?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are they real?

It's easy to shut off our computers and go about our merry way, and seldom think of those whom we relate to in cyberspace. But the reality is that the people we meet here at SR are as real as the neighbor we speak with daily or the clerk at our local grocery. Many even pass the threshold of casual acquaitance and become true friends, even though we've never physically met. That's truly special, that's a gift we have today that is often taken for granted. I'm good at taking things for granted, I do it every day. I have to remind myself often that gratitude is a building block of my recovery, and sometimes I fail miserably. But to think that people from all walks of life and varying locations around the globe would take a few minutes of their time in order to encourage me to keep the faith and stick with the winners is truly a blessing to me and it's as real as it gets.

So to all the newcomers, hang in there and stay in touch. You never know when that one post you were considering would make a major difference in your outlook, until you give it wings.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I so agree with you! I love this post. Thanks, Dallas.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post! Xoxoxo!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow what a great topic. Thanks

Prior to coming to this forum, I was and still am on another forum, regarding verbal abuse. The people there were great. They were with me when I was happy, when I was sad, when I thought there was nothing else. They kept me sane.

I have also talked on the phone to many of them, especially on my birthday, and on New Years Eve, when my ex ran away from home. They made those days special for me.

I have met quite a few of them over the years, probably about 20 or so, we would meet up for a weekend. They came from all different states. I am truly blessed with cyberfriends, and I can never thank them enough. I have only come to this forum recently, and already I feel like I am home, and safe. Thank you all.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really was worth posting again
thanks FS

D
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What Dee said !!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

*Pinch* Ouch, yep I'm real Great post!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Oh, I know some are definitely real, because I recognize their stories from my time in a certain recovery group. It's a large part of why I do not share too much personal information on here myself.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My SR friends are as real to me as my real life friends from long ago. I rarely see them, but we're good friends anyway. My SR friends are just friends I haven't met in person - yet.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel the support I receive here is as real as it gets. And not just about recovery. I see people supporting each other through health scares, relationship troubles, parenting situations—supporting each through life, basically. I cannot thank my friends here enough for the kind words I received this week when my dog died. I wasn't going to drink over it, but I was hurting, and SR was a real comfort.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Firestorm, just to reiterate what you said in your post: I have thought about you quite a bit recently. Thanks for checking in!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Funny you should post this. My dad (who I live with) understands nothing about addiction or recovery, but he says "you've got some pretty darned good friends on that recovery thing you've got" I've actually got to meet a few friends from here, e-mail a ton of them, and they have a huge part of my heart. Funny thing, my dad got to meet one of my SR friends that I haven't even met yet as she gave me a spare laptop and he was in the area.

SR rocks...now two ways about it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Great post as when I first posted on here you guys all posted back. It made me feel so welcome. Thank you all...........

Blessings,
Kahlia
Old 09-17-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's all enjoy another day of recovery.....

Last edited by CarolD; 09-17-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i'm a newcomer, and i'm still here. i agree, that it would be easy just to check back in whenever i "had the time". but it's becoming much more of a routine to "make the time" to check in here on a daily basis. even if i don't have much or anything to say, it's just nice to read that people are trying to better their lives, and there are three times as many people here to cheer them on.

good post. thanks.

hope today is a good and productive day. i'm off to my wife's school fundraiser to work the grill for 8 hrs.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Do you grill first and then put the sauce on....or ? I've been a female griller across continents, including being told by Chileans that "women shouldn't grill" and then in Texas when I was told that Texas was better than New Mexico chili...and now I am starting to thing that in sobriety grilling is a past time of the Gods and I am perfectly willing to let go and let God grill.
Heeee
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So true! I have only been here about 2 weeks and the caring and compassion of the people on this board is indeed a humbling experieince. So many good people in this world! God Bless you all.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This made me cry happy tears. I am so grateful everyday for SR - you guys have helped me save my own life.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I second that emotion. Good to see you, firestorm!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post Firestorm!! At AA yesterday a very sweet lady asked how my early recovering was going, I told her about this site and how helpful it is, she asked if I wanted a "real person" to talk to. I laughed on the inside and accepted her number, everybody here is real and their words mean more to me than some of the "real people" I see everyday!