Notices

lonely and want to stop binging

Old 09-18-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lonely and want to stop binging

Hello. I want help to stop drinking. I am feeling lonely, and don't feel i can do this on my own. I feel i need support, but not sure from where. Am sober today. But that isn't so remarkable, since i'm a binge drinker, and binge an average of 3 times per week. The day after a binge, i feel massively depressed. And decide i'm not going to drink again. Then, when i feel ok, i hit the sauce again. It's terrible.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Breester, I can empathise as I was a binge drinker for some 30 years until I found this forum. I've a long way to go but I've been sober for nearly two weeks, the longest spell of sobriety since I first drank as a teenager. The support available here can help change your life so stick around.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker as well...i was always amazed at how awful i felt the next morning, but by the evening i was ready to start drinking again-crazy!

Welcome-read lots and post lots...you will make friends here in no time
Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I was a binge drinker also, and as soon as I started feeling okay, I would drink again. It's a horrible cycle.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Breester -

Welcome! It's a terrible cycle that I have been through as well. However, you've found this place and it has done wonders for keeping me sober. When you fee like drinking, log onto this site. I promise, it'll help. All the stories of success will keep you strong. You can succeed!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate to you and with you breester and the exact same reasons brought me here a week ago. I've met some really great supportive people on here that have have helped me immensely. Also reading threads gives me hope from others that share their experience and wisdom. And it being Sunday with a completely clear head makes it so worth it Good luck and congrats to getting where you are right now.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Breester - I'm also a binge drinker (1-3x per week) and black out almost every time. I came here last week after a binge that almost killed me. I'm 10 days sober today. Tomorrow will be my big test though - I have a weird schedule and Mon/Tues are my weekends. I'm taking it day by day and trying to remind myself how horrible I feel the next day, the lost productivity due to feeling crappy = lost money, I'm usually real crabby the day after drinking, my body feels horrible, my kidneys hurt, etc.

My boyfriend will say "alcohol is nobody's friend" - I repeat that over and over in my head.

Hopefully today is a new day for you
Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

This is a great place to get support. As a binge user myself I know it was really helpful to have people I could call on when I came up with some half cocked idea about why I HAD to use...Sometimes immediate feedback, even something as simple as "no actually, you don't HAVE to." helped a lot.

Patience was not one of my strongpoints and delayed responses I just added to my "excuse pile".

I was able to find real time support in NA. I was real dishonest with myself back then, not on purpose, but because I'd been telling myself crap for so long, and had stopped trying to seek good solutions, that I believed the nonsense myself.

I went to my first meeting and someone said to me "you don't ever have to use again"...and though I chose to use again a few times since that, those words stuck in my head...I never HAD to use again, if I did, it was because I chose to, that was my first real dose of honesty.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your supportive words, encouragement, and sharing. I feel much better, knowing i'm not alone. Have registered my sobriety date as yesterday, to make myself accountable. Hope i can do it this time -- tonight i met a friend for dinner, and desperately wanted a glass of wine, but knew that would be enough to make me want to pick up a bottle of wine (or two!) on the way home, so opted for fresh juice (orange, carrot and ginger) instead. It was easy, but as the week progresses, I'm scared it's going to become more difficult to resist. It feels like a nice reward to come home from work and relax with a drink -- too bad i can't stop at just one glass. Will keep reading posts. Sharing seems to help.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Breester,
You're def. not alone; ..... here on SR.

This place , along with some face to face support meetings, really helped .

After years of blackout drinking, quitting last year was the best thing I've ever done.

Hundreds of us here have done the same. You can do this.

Welcome to SR !!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR, breester.

There are a lot of ex-bingers here, including me, and you are getting great advice. There is a saying quoted often that I hope will help you. It is that nobody ever wakes up and thinks, " I sure wish I had gotten drunk last night."

The first few days can be tough, but it definitely gets better with time. Best wishes.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello I have done the same for 30 years, as time passed I realised I had to do something.

I was sober since Wednesday, but fell off the wagon yesterday if you can call it that I had 4 pints of standard lager and food whilst watching the football over a 4 hour period.

What was pleasing is I felt wrong after, so I am back on the wagon.

I am new here but even reading have helped me, many thanks for that.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi breester. I just reached one year sober over the weekend. It's a good time of year to start

It will be difficult, but you can do it. Try to tell yourself that sobriety is the reward, rather than letting your brain tell you that a drink is your reward after a hard day.

Every day gets easier, and you may feel tempted, but the strength is in you. Treat yourself to another night of sobriety tonight
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I never fell off the wagon, I always jumped. Now I realize that the bumpy wagon ride is still better than stumbling around wasted.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When drinking turned me into a depressed woman my doctor said to quit and find local AA groups.
I was not thrilled at either idea...but I certainly was miserable as a drinker. All the fun bottles were empty..and so was I.

Soooo..off I went and there I have stayed..... It was the wisest move I ever made to find a non drinking life with purpose and joy.

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Probably sounds corny, but this forum is inspirational it really is.

Thanks to you all.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

i'm a binge drinker as well so I know how it feels. I don't feel alive or creative when I don't have it in me and then when I don't have it I feel like balls and never want to do it again. Good luck to us all
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

welcome breester my girl friend introduced me to this sight what a life changing experience sr has done for me,i read alot of ppls threads and they pretty much all fell into what i have done in the past. i'm now 44 days sober i never thought i could get past the first weekend sober but then i thought to myself **** everyday was a weekend for me why should friday or saturday being any different then mon-thurs. my binges were friday through sunday and when monday rolled around i thought how a'm i going too make it to work i'm still drunk and feel like ****,for me i just couldn't keep putting my body through the abuse this disease had on me. hang in there this site is very helpfull wished i found it years ago good luck!!