Notices

New here, pregnant and supposed to introduce myself.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, pregnant and supposed to introduce myself.

Hi to whoever sees this, I'm pregnant and having problems quitting drinking so that's why I'm here. I don't drink more than a glass of wine a day, and I don't drink more than 4-5 times a week. I also don't plan on continuing this from this second on, I'm 9 weeks 3 days. Hopefully I haven't done any permanent damage...

I'm not the type of alcoholic who gets drunk. In fact I hate that feeling. I'm more of a HAVE the have alcohol after work every day to unwind type of thing. I just think it feels good... I don't have any huge problems I'm trying to heal I really just enjoy my wine. I think over the last 5 years its become a habit though and hard to stop even being pregnant.

When I pretty much quit when I found out, nothing happened. No withdrawals or anything so I am assuming I'm not as bad as I thought I was but I know I have a problem since I can't give it up - or its really hard to.

Again, hoping that if I stop from this minute on that my kid is going to be okay. I honestly haven't had more than one drink a day and not every day. Not sure if that matters. No binges or anything like that.

So that's me, just looking for people who maybe were or are in my shoes....

Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on your new commitment to sobriety, for your sake and the sake of your unborn child!

I'm no doctor, but I would think that only one glass of wine a night would not cause a problem (of course it's great that you are not continuing it just in case.) My sister went off birth control the week before her wedding because she had been on it for years and had heard it took several months to get fertile again. But she must have gotten pregnant on her wedding night, because she had my niece 9 months almost to the day later! She fretted while pregnant because she had not realized and had drank at the wedding and on her honeymoon, and then the month following before she realized she was pregnant. But my niece turned out just fine. I hope that's a little bit of a comfort. Keep coming back here to keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HAHHA!!! Crazy! I just got married July 30th 2011 and admittedly didn't really drink much that day, but on the honeymoon I must have had about 7 drinks a day for about 5 days, then it was my birthday when I got back and then my husbands birthday. I still never got trashed but did totally drink regulary for a few weeks. I found out I was 5 days pregnant at the wedding.... but your story definitely makes me feel better I just hope I didn't hurt him/her!!! Poor kid...
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Praers that your child has not been harmed....please do check with your OB and be honest about your drinking and concerns

Blessings to the 3 of you as you move into a sober future..
Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sincerely hope that your baby is unharmed and I also hope that you talk to dr about your drinking problem. Try to keep your positive attitude.

There is lots of support here, so please keep reading and posting.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

Wishing the best to both you and your baby.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Real pregnancies are closer to 10 months...glad you're qutting!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a little insight, my mother drank while carrying me and I turned out just fine, except for the small abnormality of having five eyes, lol. Just kidding!!!

Congrats on turning your lifed around and welcome to SR.

I'm sure you and your new family member will be fine, just stick around and keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Apologies for my horrible grammar/spelling etc. I have "pregnancy brain" and seem to make less sense than normal

Anyway, I have told my doc everything. She just said "Well its in there now! We can't take it out!" and seemed not too worried. I won't know until its born I guess.

Its just annoying to not be able to drink. Everything is more boring, less relaxing and all around more tedious. Its these feelings that make me feel compelled to drink. Hopefully through this board I will be able to reconcile some of these feelings sober.

I should also add that WHEN i found out I was pregnant, I realized I was about 5 days along when the wedding took place. I worded that poorly in my last post making it seem like I found out I was 5 days pg at the wedding, durrrr....
Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome genuineyouth

I'm glad you've checked with your Dr and they seem unworried. Don;t hesitate to get a second opinion tho if you're still concerned.

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you with us

D
Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't had much to drink at all since I was 4 weeks pg, and that's not even really an issue. My issue is that its hard to stop a bad habit - I'm here for support and to meet people in my situation or people who were in my situation, not people telling me to see a doctor... whats done is done, a doc isn't going to fix anything.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

The reason that members suggest that you see a dr is because people are concerned to hear that you are drinking while pregnant. There is potential for fetal alcohol syndrome.

Of course, we offer you support and I encourage you to keep reading and posting.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

If you knew at the wedding, why drink so much on the honeymoon? I'd try aa meetings. Best wishes on staying stopped, especially when your first child has issues, without your drinking...sounds like playing with fire. AA has a solution.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

If you knew at the wedding, why drink so much on the honeymoon? I'd try aa meetings. Best wishes on staying stopped, especially when your first child has issues, without your drinking...sounds like playing with fire. AA has a solution.

Have you increased folic acid? I believe that alcohol consumption interferes with getting enough vitamins in both of you. Make sure you eat right. I'm sure all is well. I'm not trying to be harsh. Just take care of both of you & the other young person. Your life is full. Take care.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Sorry, phone problem.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Genuine, I don't advice having not been in your situation, however I would like to think that knowing you are carrying a fetus would be the best reason and motivation to stop drinking. Maybe you could speak to your Dr. again and tell her what you are struggling with.