Notices

First day here and sober

Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face First day here and sober

Today is my first day Sober and on this board im happy to be here and I am glad I made the first step so as you can see I am clapping for myself . I am looking forward to meeting some good people here that know what I am going through who will pass on any wisdom they have with this sort of thing! I would greatly appreciate that. Oh I guess you would like to know what got me here right?

Long story about 10 months ago after I had my son is when it all started.. I finally was able to get some medical issues checked out because I was no longer pregnant. My back is a mess herniated discs and all, maybe fibromyalgia because my whole body aches all the times, I also have cysts on my ovaries that keep growning and rupturing causing immense pain!! Also, I am now being told that I prob have rheumatoid artheritis in my hands, knees, and feet really bad.

I was basically just thrown Percocets to take care of everything instead of looking into other ways to manage the pain or what to do. I was like well whatever they are the doctors .. so I go home and start my pills "AS prescribed" and end up at not so as prescribed in a matter of months and then I got to the point where doctors weren't taking me seriously so they didn't even want to give me much meds anymore or do anything else, they just wanted to pass me off to some other doctor because "HEY your 24 you cant be hurting this bad" well guess what you can and I WAS!

I started buying them from a friend I knew and then another friend I knew for less so I was getting 10mg/325 percs for cheep it was nice.I also dabbled into some 30 mg roxis and would take 3 to feel any kind of effect.. however I started to worry about the dose I was taking which was up to like 10 pills of the percocet a day so most of you will probably say I am on my newbie/mid phase into addiction and thats as far as I want it to go.

I realized I was hurting my liver and with two beautiful babies that was enough for me to say ok I am done now and thats what got me here. I am sorry thats not the best addiction story probably! I know you may be looking for my crash and burn but I was glad it stopped before that happened. I guess the crash and burn for me was buying them off the street or considering stealing them from someone was the neon light I needed. About two weeks after that my family came forward saying they were seeing things and they were concerned so that further pushed me to get clean although I was and still am angry at how my sisters accused me of doing things I hadn't done and will probably still be mad for a long time about this. I am not sure how I will forgive them for any of the lies they told to my father causing his deeper concern in to all of this. Who cares though right? I am taking care of myself !!

Soooo thats my story! I am very new to all of this and have no idea what I am doing or where I am headed next but today is my first day clean so I have a long way to go... E-mails are appreaciated or any helping advice I can get. THANKS! Oh and PS sorry if I broke any rules! I haven't read them yet.. will get on that right now!!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One day at a time is all it takes. Congrats on taking the first step.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I highly recommend you discuss your addiction to te painpills with your doctor and determine the best course of action to safely ween you from the pain medications you were abusing. Also what helped me was getting involved with a recovery group concurently. Your doctor can also assist in pointing you in the right direction for that as well. What also helped me was finding a therapist to work out the issues of dealing with chronic pain and family issues etc.

I wish you the best of success. Keep posting!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Trying - Welcome to the family. Thanks for telling us your story. It's good to see how enthused you are to have pills out of your life. Congratulations on owning up to the problem.

I have a friend who's addicted to painkillers of all types. She has 3 different dr's filling her prescriptions. It all started with a rotator cuff operation over 10 yrs. ago - and she's never been off them since. I wish she could see what's happening to her. Be proud of yourself for taking charge of the situation before it goes any further. You can do this!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Trying4soblife

It's certainly not necessary to crash and burn before we do something about a problem, so I'm glad you've decided to do something now

You'll find a lot of support and idea here - we also have a substance abuse forum you may be interested at looking at:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SeekSob- Thanks! I actually am working with a dr but instead of tapering on the pills I am on suboxone. I know a lot of people dont think that means I am actually clean/sobber but I dont get a high from it and its just helping with withdrawals. I kept relapsing when trying to withdrawal from them mysellf. I would make it to about 4 days and say "Enough of this!" and get more meds. I am glad to be on the suboxone although its a little strange..
Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you're here and wanting to deal with your addiction. You deserve to clap for yourself!

I know you'll find lots of support here - do check out the substance abuse section that Dee posted. All the best......
Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may also be interested in this forum here as well trying4

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trying4soblife View Post
SeekSob- Thanks! I actually am working with a dr but instead of tapering on the pills I am on suboxone. I know a lot of people dont think that means I am actually clean/sobber but I dont get a high from it and its just helping with withdrawals. I kept relapsing when trying to withdrawal from them mysellf. I would make it to about 4 days and say "Enough of this!" and get more meds. I am glad to be on the suboxone although its a little strange..
I am really happy to hear you are working on this with your Doctor. Keep up the great work!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know what it is but damned if it doesn't seem like presciption addictions have skyrocketed lately. It use to be just alcohol, coke, heroin...ect.