Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I am a drunk, and the only time I can admit it is when I am drunk

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So that is my predicament! I have to be drunk just to admit the fact that I am a raging alcoholic! How the hell does one correct a problem like that!?!?!??!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Write a letter to your sober self. Tell your sober self that you want to stop drinking and to get help. When you are sober, read and re read the letter. It may help you make that step to find help to stop drinking.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

jUST WROTE A LETTER AND IT FELT REALLY GOOD BUT I DUNNO IF IT WILL SOLVE ANYTHING
Old 09-10-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found having posts here was really helpful.

When I tried to rationalise that I wasn't that bad & I was over-reacting, all I had to do was look back and read

D
Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very similar situation here Tyler. For 2 years I knew I needed help. Everytime I got drunk I couldn't believe it happened again. I tried to find an AA mtg drunk, but it had moved and I ended up sitting drunk through a mass in Spanish.(I don't speak Spanish but it didn't matter) When I woke up the next day I decided I could do it myself again. Another time I showed up at my doctor/friends house drunk, ready to beg for help- he wasn't home so I slept it off and again decided I could handle this. The final time I knew I was going to get killed or worse, kill someone else. I drove to a detox and although they don't normally take people in my condition and without dr referrals, they let me in. If I had been turned away I'm sure I would have woke up and decided I could handle it, one more time. Sometimes our rational mind only comes out when we're enebriated, believe it or not.
I suggest you tell someone your close to who will help about your situation when your drunk or sober and ask them to help you find the resources we need.
Best of Luck.
Sobahs better.
SH
Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, eventually the wreckage became such that I couldn't deny it anymore, drunk or sober. It is unfortunate that it has been that way for some of us. Getting off the crazy train before it crashed and burned would have been preferable to me...I hope you can find a way, tyler, before a way finds you.

p.s. soberhooligan LOL love the screen name and I agree, "sobah" rocks!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

The only time I would admit it was when I was hungover. Eventually I got sick of feeling like crap and wasting days.
Remember that saying "A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts"
Maybe the sober you is in denial...
Old 09-10-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drink more then come post. Don't worry ill drink with ya.

A
Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Like me, you can drink another 25 years and then realize you have a problem and need to quit!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think your on the way to realizing the alcohol has to stop. You wouldn't be here seeking help sober or drunk, if your not coming to terms with your alcoholism. Before I quit for good, I knew alcohol was destroying my life. I needed help....SR gave me inspiration to get sober. I hope you read some of the posts here...you'll find your situation is not unique to you.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Army11b View Post

A
THis doesn't seem to helpful to me... not on a recovery forum anyway.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
aaahhhhh how misery loves company...would be really funny if it weren't so sad...

fortunately joy loves company too...
Old 09-10-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you would like support, you can find it here.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also could only admit that I needed help after I was already drunk. I would "forget about it" the next day usually. I went on like that for about 2 years. Thankfully I didn't physically injure other people or myself in a random blackout.

Eventually that feeling you can only experience when you're drunk, the self pity, fearfulness, anger, etc. will penetrate your sober self. I hope you don't have to wait years like I did. Best of luck to you!

I hope you can get some help.