# 1 (permalink)  

where do i start

i need help
i have no idea where to go or how to get sober
i dont want to lse my kids and my husband but if i don't stop i am gonna
i am scared, i have never done this before
Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this is a good start. I think most of us started out afraid. Fear is a natural reaction to facings truths we'd rather not have in our lives. There is a lot of support and information on this site provided by members all dealing with recovery in their lives. Doesn't matter if you haven't done this before, what matters is you're ready to do it now.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks mycoolfitz, i am so terrified
i can't imagne changing. i dont know if i am ready
but i know it is time
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! You have lots of options for recovery. I think there are links sticky'd at the top. The easiest way to approach it for me (a year ago!) was "don't drink no matter what, ever". I told myself I'd do whatever it took to reach that simple goal. I used Rational Recovery/AVRT.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR.

Glad you are here.

When I started on this journey of recovery I was terrified, confused, lost, and felt so very alone. What I did was keep putting one foot in front of the other. I reached out for help. I found a program of recovery. There are many of them out there. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html I found a support group. SR is a wonderful place to find support and encouragement. These are the things that have worked for me.

You are not alone and as you read more here at SR I am sure you will come to see that. You do not have to do this alone as there are many who are willing to help you. Again glad you are here and do hope you stick around.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might want to think about what kind of support you have now that you can reach out to for support, family, friends. In stopping drinking you should also check with your doctor, be open about what you're doing and why, he/she can be a great resource. Don't know what plans you may have for supporting your sobriety, there are many resources at your disposal--enough of us alcoholics to generate a parcil of them. I know others will have suggests so stick around. It's fine to be frightened, just don't let it paralyze you. and imagine yourself changing, doesn't it beat the heck out of the mess you're in now. You can and will get better, the fear will transform into faith in yourself.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We do understand how alone and scary it is to know you have to stop drinking, but not know how to do it.

Please know that you can do it and we are here to offer support.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome to SR! You'll find a lot of folks here who have been through the same thing—folks who have been a huge help to me.

I couldn't imagine quitting either—didn't know how I could possibly get through a night without drinking. But guess what? It turns out life is great sober! It took some serious commitment and solid plan (some here are in AA, others use SMART Recovery, others like me rely on SR and a mixed bag of tools picked up from the various programs).

I know it's scary, but believe me, you will be so glad you did. Life is so much better now that I don't have to spend all that energy trying (and failing) to moderate my drinking.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i wanna thank you all who answered
i don't hve a plan, i just know i have till the weekend to not be drinking or he leaves with my kids
so do i just not drink tomorrow? i have been drnking for 15years or so.
how do i learn this ocernight. it is so overwhelming

i am sorry for the questions. thanks for helping me already
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
so do i just not drink tomorrow? i have been drnking for 15years or so.
how do i learn this ocernight. it is so overwhelming

i am sorry for the questions. thanks for helping me already
You don't have to learn it all overnight. I have been sober 10 years now and am still learning. Just take the steps that you can do right now and tomorrow do what you can do then and so on. It took 15 years for you to get to this point all of that will not go away in one day. Be patient with yourself but don't let patience be an excuse to drink.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lost4Now

I remember when I quit I was terrified too...I literally had no idea of how not to drink.

In the beginning I simply made a commitment every day: 'today I will not drink', and did everything I could to stick to that. No excuses no special circumstances, nothing.

I knew I had to be done drinking.

This place, and the support I found here, helped me a lot. Coming here to SR daily, reading and posting, helped me....

If you think you need more support though - there are many group and many methods available - you'll find a lot of them linked here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Counselling might also be an option for you - and there are of course many varieties of rehab, both inpatient and outpatient.

If you haven't seen your Dr I recommend it as a good first step, especially if you've drunk regularly for a long time.

You can do this

You'll find a lot of support here - you're not alone
Welcome!

D
Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I was scared too about not drinking ever again. But I was more scared of what might happen if I kept on drinking. With the help of my addiction counselor and the loving caring people here I have over 20 months sober and am enjoying my life for the first time in a long while.

Give a look to that link about support groups. The most available is AA but it's not the only way to get and stay sober. There are people here who have good long term sobriety without any formal 'program' at all. It IS possible to stop drinking and live a better life.

Here is a link to a thread about our experiences with alcohol withdrawal. If you start feeling really bad or strange, please get medical help.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you all
i have sat in silent contimplation and know that it is time.
my best friend is the bottle, sad but true.
thanks for the links, i will look those over and pray i cn find a way out of the darkness
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

lost4now - You don't have to be scared - you're not alone anymore. Be more scared of continuing life the way you were.

After you get the alcohol out of your system you can begin to heal. Give yourself a chance to see how great life can be without being numb, or relying on alcohol to get you through the day. You don't need it - that's just a lie you've told yourself for 15 years. I did it for my whole life, so I know. I never dreamed I could live one day without it, but now I have almost 4 years. I know you can do this. You are among people who understand exactly what you're going through. Keep posting and let us know how you're feeling.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

how do i stop, ths i don't know how to do
how do i function when i am not drinkng?
i dont eat, i drink
i dont leave my house, i drink
i blackout and my i miss the whole day
how do i change what i haev become when this is all i know?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

lost4now,
Stopping now ; you will avoid all the bad things that may happen.

I could hardly imagine living without booze until I made the decision last april. Finding this forum was a real life-saver. Coming here everyday, every night was a huge help.

I found AA meetings too.

Just being able to learn new ways , ...and new methods made all the difference. Trying to get sober by myself just never worked for me.

Wanted to chime in and say; WELCOME to SR !
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

welcome and know that you are not alone. You are reaching out to us here and we are here for you.

It's hard, but it's doable, and we understand where you are coming from, the fear that you are feeling, and the new thought of trying to live without it.

These boards are a wonderful resource, glad you found us and hope you stick around and post more about how you are doing. (((HUGS)))
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Try a county rehab or AA meetings. Give time time. Put the bottle down!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lost4now... Right now all you have to do is WANT to quit. You've already reached out here and that's great! There are a ton of people reading your words rooting for you and praying for you and wanting you to stay safe!! That, in itself, is HUGE! I would encourage you to be really honest with yourself about what's going on with you and what the next step should be. Obviously there are some problems with your drinking or your husband wouldn't be threatening to leave. Please take a good hard look at yourself and what's REALLY going on. More importantly, though...please remember that whatever you're going through, we are all ready to listen and help when we can.