Shortcomings? What shortcomings?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shortcomings? What shortcomings?

When my AGF went into residential treatment on July 14, I went into my own treatment. I started attending Al and Nar Anon meetings on a regular basis.

I went to a meeting recently when they were having a step discussion. I am just beginning to work Step One, so I was a little lost. I think it was step 4, about making a list of our shortcomings. At that time I was racking my brain to come up with anything on my end that I did wrong... I mean I put up with all the crap right?

This week has been full of light bulb moments. Even though I'm not ready to work that step, I am starting to see my behaviors (shortcomings) and how they contributed to the disease. Some of the things I've done automatically I now realize are controlling. For example, I "helped" my AGF with organizational skills last weekend. Since she's in treatment until Oct, I thought I'd organize her paperwork (she's a packrat) and streamline things for her. I tossed out a LOT of stuff that I considered unimportant and marveled at how much better the room looks now that her "pile" is organized. What I failed to realize is how she will feel coming home and all her papers are gone... b/c I decided for her what was to keep and what was to throw away. I have contributed to her low self esteem in many (unintended) ways through my "helping". I've subtly taught her that she can't do for herself, that I do it better, she's not capable, all through my efforts that until now thought were caring and helpful.

So when it comes time for Step 4 I think I'll have something to start with :P

And I plan to confess my transgression to her on our family visit tomorrow
Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yeah, we codies love to control everyone else, we just somehow forget to control ourselves, our actions.

You are on the right track, keep working on you!