Notices

My Introduction- I'm an alcoholic etc

Old 08-05-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Introduction- I'm an alcoholic etc

Hi.

I am a 37 year old male, I've had trouble with drinking for many years, and for many years I have been battling the drink, which is probably my number #1 demon.

I improved for a couple of years but the last several months was slipping back heavily into drinking.

I just went 8 days without drinking, then had a relapse last night. I had a horrific type hangover today, felt horribly ill, and very depressed, unable to cope.

I am determined to stop doing it. I HATE ALCOHOL. I am a binge type drinker. I drink very fast, and once I have a couple in my system nothing stops me.

I am quite appalling when I am drunk, I become more out of control than most alcoholics perhaps. I always wake up the next day with those awful realizations of the horrible things I have done the night before, what I can remember anyway.

I become really irrational, manipulative and dramatic when I am drunk. I ALWAYS forget how bad it is, and I convince myself it will be okay, that I will just have a couple of drinks. I fall for this over and over.

I have mental health type problems as well, so when I am sober I find that I am stuck with my problems 24/7 with no escape.

i have been diagnosed with depression and borderline personality disorder. I am also a fairly anxious, uptight sort of person. I don't cope well with pressure at all, though I do have some positives, I believe I am very caring towards others, and very supportive of the people I love. Luckily I am not alone, and a lot of people value me. Although I am single, as in not in a relationship, being obese (I weigh 125KG), I am not very appealing sexually.

I am very impulsive, which makes it hard to stop drinking. As you all would know you can be strong 99 out of a 100 times, and it only takes one brief moment of weakness to relapse. This is often when I feel depressed, or unable to cope.

I don't currently work, this is something I eventually want to remedy, but the truth is, I am currently too unstable to hold down a job, and most likely the pressure of working would make me want to drink more.

Well I am really determined to stop. I don't want any more relapses. I don't want to let the people I love down any more. I don't want to wake up with that horrid hangover feelings, which is something I hate more than anything in the whole world.

So I thought I would come here and talk, to try and maintain my focus, to remind myself of all the bad things about drinking. It is never worth it, and I must stop lying to myself that I will only have a few drinks.

Nice to meet everyone.

Michael
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael. Your post sounds like a textbook first step. Keep coming back to the forums and remember to pray. I would also strongly suggest hitting a live AA meeting. You sound exactly like I did 3 months ago.

-The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot protect you.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your welcome. I am definitely going to ring AA tomorrow, I am going to do everything in my power to beat this. I HAVE HAD IT WITH DRINKING. I REALLY WANT IT GONE FROM MY LIFE FOREVER.

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you think you need medical help?

This is a great first step. For many, it has been the core of our victory. Go to newcomers threads and check out August class of 2011.
WELCOME
Old 08-05-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael, pelase keep reading and posting, SR has been a life saver for me....and you may find a lot of like-minded people here...we all want the same thing, a happy sober life and you can read about the various stages we are in.

also, reading about others will take you out of your own head for a bit....there are many different forums, including health, mental health, and my own personal favorites of gratitude and whining (a light thread).

take care.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael!

Just keep going and going and tell the demon to bugger off from your life! You can do it, we all can! And remember SR is a great place to be to find comfort, strength, and willpower!

Wishing you all the best and do keep us posted!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome! Best of luck in your recovery. You have made a wise decision.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Step one is absolute humility and asking for help with willingness to go to any lengths to obtain sobriety. Absolute powerlessness over alcohol. Everyone has experience as shown through a drunkalog. This disease is progressive and deadly. The only prison I've been in is in my head.

I wish you well, Michael! Welcome to a supportive Group Of Drunks!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can totally identify with everything you said.

Tomorrow is 60 days for me. I am in AA and I use meetings and am working the steps with a sponsor. There is a sticky somewhere on this forum that lists all of the many methods of support/recovery that are available though.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Those awful feelings of shame and remorse are actually becoming powerful tools to keep me sober. I think about stuff I did and how I felt if I get a notion to drink. Nothing good ever occurred when I drank. It never made me feel better, helped me solve problems, etc.

The hardest part is staying stopped and I suggest finding a program of recovery that suits you. Sounds like you are dual-diagnosis- I am too. I see a therapist also.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! It sounds like you're ready to jump into sobriety! I wish you well on this journey... looking forward to your posts!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Michael,

There is lots of hope that you can do this!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful greetings and messages of support. I really appreciate it. I will do my best to stay sober.

Thank you all.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Michael,
I was in your shoes for a very long time before I got help. I went to an in-patient rehab for 35 days. Ive been sober for 5 months now. The program was fantastic. The best part was being with other alcoholics and going thru it all together. I havent even come close to picking up a drink since. I suggest you seriously consider in-patient rehab. I tried on my own and failed far too many times. Best of luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Michael

It's often a good idea to see a Dr before you quit - a lot of people seem to be ok, but some of us can have problematic detoxes. Best to be safe IMO

D
Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to the fold, Michael! Hope you keep coming backs here. It's a great place for inspiration, advice and support. Since you have underlying mental issues (same here, my friend) can you get with a therapist or in a program? I was in an intensive outpatient program and loved it. They really work on coping skills, understanding your addiction and getting you with a doctor who can help determine if you need medication for your mental health and what. Without addressing the underlying issues, you may continue to self medicate with alcohol. Good luck and please come here any time you need it. Heck, even just to check in and say hi!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by ObeseGuy View Post
I HAVE HAD IT WITH DRINKING. I REALLY WANT IT GONE FROM MY LIFE FOREVER.
Welcome to SR! Those were my exact words a little over two years ago when I ended up in the emergency room with a severe panic attack. I haven't had a drink since that day and my life has never been better!

If you really want it, you can have it. We can and DO recover.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Michael! It's great you've found SR-it will be a beacon of sanity while you're sorting out all your feelings and trying to quit. I'm reading over and over again here that once the drinking stops all kinds of good habits kick back in like more exercising,eating better, and getting help for other issues. You don't have to do it all at once, but stopping drinking may jump start the healing process in all areas of your life. I struggle with weight too, but the no drinking is first priority for now. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome Michael to SR - What a wonderful, supportive community you have found Lots of encouragement, hope and strength in these forums. Congrats on the decision to get your life back. Just know that you can do this and are worth it. It's not gonna come easy but nothing worthwhile is. I hope to see you around

-Jess