OT: Gotta love the dentists

Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down OT: Gotta love the dentists

The day I had been dreading for years finally came on Monday when I got my two lower wisdom teeth extracted. The procedure itself wasn't too bad at all as I was properly sedated for it. If anything, closing my eyes with the laughing gas going is probably the most serenity I've had in months! Lol, kinda enjoyed that!

And then came the post operative pain. OH.MY.GOD. I went back to the dentists today because it was really just that bad. Turns out I've developed dry socket on both sides.......and really, this must be what death feels like. Not even vicodin is helping! So excruciating! If anything all of the vicodin is just making me nauseous. Waaaah I need a cyber hug!

Thanks for letting me whine.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm soooo sorry! I've had dry socket and there is no pain like it in the world. Did they pack your gums with treated gauze strips? That's what they did for me and it helped tremendously! It's been many years since I went through it, but I don't recall taking any pain meds other than OTC ones.

I hope you start feeling better soon. I really, REALLY do feel for you, hon.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Much love, hugs, and cuddles from me and the kittens.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go back, they have stuff they can pack it with (some kind of oil if I remember correctly). It works much better than that pain medication.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, they packed it with that clover tasting stuff today. And the dentist really pushed it hard in5o the holes when he did it too, ouch! I almost cried when he did that. Still hurt HORRIBLY after for hours. But finally, it's been about 5 hours since the procedure and I am feeling some relief. Supposed to go back tomorrow to get it repacked.

Does anyone know from experience how long it usually takes for this whole thing to heal up?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ginger ale (with real Ginger) can help with nausea from the pain medication.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

(((Hugs)))

I am back to the dentist too and guess what I will need braces .. AGAIN... for the Nth time.... I have visited many dentists and have worn all of those different braces all my life and my teeth are STILL crooked thanks... this dentist said "there is nothing else we can remove" well, thank you??

Breathe, focus on your breathing...
THIS TOO SHALL PASS
Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

A dry socket means that you have lost the blood clot that covers the nerve ending. Until another clot forms you will need the packing. I honestly can't recall how long that took. Not unbearably long...probably a week or so.

Glad you're feeling at least some relief.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hugs to you too Takingcharge! I can understand how much of an annoyance that can be!

I went back today to get the holes "repacked" and am feeling much better....gotta just keep chugging along! Hoping it won't hurt for too much longer otherwise it'll get in the way of packing for that pesky move...

PS- Got a full liter bottle of ginger ale, helped quite a bit! The pharmacist also recommended that I just take smaller doses at shorter intervals and that seems to be helping too. PHEW.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My go to is real ginger which I shave and make a "tea" with. I also rub my temples with my favorite essential oil. Tea Tree for head aches and Lavender for sleep and those two scents, for whatever reason help. Don't use the mint ones for this-don't ask me how I know...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bruingirl View Post
Yup, they packed it with that clover tasting stuff today. And the dentist really pushed it hard in5o the holes when he did it too, ouch! I almost cried when he did that. Still hurt HORRIBLY after for hours. But finally, it's been about 5 hours since the procedure and I am feeling some relief. Supposed to go back tomorrow to get it repacked.

Does anyone know from experience how long it usually takes for this whole thing to heal up?
You should start feeling better at the end of a week. I had a horribly impacted wisdom tooth taken out shortly after rehab and I ended up with dry socket too! It only had to be packed twice thankfully. Soft foods were my best friend for a couple of weeks!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had 4 dry sockets! OMG I know the pain sucks. The best part was me trying to get into the car after the surgery. My mother picked me up and she said she had to physically lift both my legs into the car lol! I was so out of it. Hey, it was a nice change someone helping me rather than me helping someone else get into a car or bed! Hugs!

P.S. It takes about a week or so to feel completely better. And remember don't drink through a straw, it causes more dry sockets!