Notices

May Karr's "Lit" INSPIRING

Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

May Karr's "Lit" INSPIRING

Has anyone read it? What an amazing story. I read it in one siting couldnt put it down. Its about a writer's struggle with alcoholism. It really opened up my eyes to how progressive the disease is and not only that it made me think how even highly intelligent educated people can can become prisoners of this disease as well. If you love to read and havent read it read it.

Yesterday, I said to myself Ill go to the library pick up a few books to cope with my boredom instead of drink bc I absolutely love to read. Its the weekend and I am usually alone so I want to drink more but abstaining from it. Didnt drink yesterday and felt good but the book made me realize after a little over two months of heavier drinking I better stop it before it becomes too late. I was beating myself up a lot thinking I was worthless and a failure til I read her book and realized how accomplished she was even though she is an alcoholic.

She didnt like AA or believe in higher powers but she really forced herself to work the program and prayed even when she didnt believe until she started believing. She is also funny as hell. One minute you want to cry and then you read the next paragraph you are laugh hysterically. Well, today I am going to pick up her other memoirs and write myself. Ive always wanted to write a memoir too but I have writes block I think I am just going to it down and write.

Many authors I admire struggled with alcoholism/binge drinking and I look to them for inspiration.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have read it several times. Love it.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On my way....

Haven't read it, sounds like another book to order off Amazon....I'm sure they are loving my recovery, lol, I've ordered so many books here lately from them.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, I'll have to check this out.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! My GF purchased a copy not too long ago & you've reminded me that I should crack the cover.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine too, Rachel Ummm, who am I kidding? They've gotten money from me for years... I don't even want to know how many books I've ordered from Amazon

I'm always interested in reading about writers who've battled alcohol addiction. Not too keen on the AA bit, but I may check into this one.

Originally Posted by Rachel1980 View Post
Haven't read it, sounds like another book to order off Amazon....I'm sure they are loving my recovery, lol, I've ordered so many books here lately from them.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered Sober Truths: The Making of an Honest Woman by Jill Kelly PhD which looks interesting. Will let you know how it is.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Loved the book and I got the inspiration to read it from another book I read Smashed by Koren Zailckas or however you spell her name but its about binge drinking.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I heard a few speakers say: I told my sponsor how many degrees I earned, only to hear the sponsor say: thermometers have degrees and you know where they put them?!!

Last edited by sugarbear1; 07-30-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: removed 1 word
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I heard a few speakers say: I told my sponsor how many degrees I earned, only to hear the sponsor say: thermometers have degrees and you know where they put them?!!
What a negative thing to tell someone... I think people with past addictions need to remember all the positives and strengths in their lives to bolster their bruised or non-existent self-esteem. I certainly value my degrees, and I can do this independently of knowing I had an alcohol addiction I had to deal with.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks SoberJennie that is a negative thing to tell someone. I am proud of my degrees and the people who inspire me like Mary Karr are well accomplished despite the fact they had addiction issues.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendation and will be checking it out.

Yep, Amazon is a great site. Bought my sister a Kindle two Xmas' ago, and I think it is about time I get one for myself.

Have been using the Kindle for PC option, but man, sometimes you just want to curl up on the couch or the lounge chair with a small thing and not a 17 inch laptop. The laptop gets in the way of the 80 lb labrador lapdog!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here, Wellwisher. I've either had to read on the laptop or my iPhone... Can't wait to finally get the Kindle. Seems like it will solve the problem.