Notices

Opinion on Reaching Out

Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opinion on Reaching Out

Okay - I am going to try and make this as brief as possible...not wanting to make it a long drawn out thing.

Okay...at my work there is a woman that clearly has had {or may still have} an alcohol problem. When I began working she would sometimes come into work reeking of alcohol...I think she has gotten better but rumour has it that she has asked a person or two to go to AA with her. She didn't ask me at all because she doesn't know that I have a similar problem.
I was just wondering if I should maybe approach her and ask her if she would want me to go with her....or ask her to go with me? I mean her problem is hush-hush, but everyone know's. I just wouldn't want her to get offended or anything.
Should I approach her? Or leave it be?

There - that was pretty short. Lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry, my english is not very good. I think nobody can get offended if you simply comment with her that AA is working very good with you, without suggesting she has any problem. For example, you can say that you have to leave the office because you are attending an AA meeting. Let her ask you for help, but make her know (incidentally) that you are in AA.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of AA... If it's meant to be you will "find" one another.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I wouldn't say anything.. you could be open about how well you're doing in AA (if you're comfortable doing so), and maybe she'll seek you out next time she's feeling the hankering for a meeting.

That being said.. her not going to meetings (if she isn't) has nothing to do with not having anyone go with her. I wasn't able to recover until I was willing to do anything in the universe to do so. Until then, I was full of excuses.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At work, I wouldn't go there. Your sobriety has to come first. If something comes out of this, it could effect your job, your sobriety. I have always kept my personal separate. Just my personal opinion. Pray for her.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that I would not discuss this at work, ever.

My addiction is my personal business and no one I work with knows anything about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

What does your sponsor say about it?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bellakeller - I don't have a sponsor...I just briefly spoke to my boyfriend about this. I have never gone to AA myself and thought that it would be good if the two of us went together and support one another. I would love to support her. Too often do I hear office gossip where she is the centre of it and it isn't fair. I know what she is going through and I know that she has gone through a lot of pain as well.
We don't work in the same "department" per se. She works down the hall from me, but I visit her department regularly and we used to be smoking buddies as well back in the day when I used to smoke. She is definitely a sweetheart but I feel she is a bit of a lost soul as well. She has sons and whatnot and I don't think she gets much support from him. That is why she has asked a coworkers daughter to go with her and a coworker of mine that is close in age to me as well. I just feel...for some strange reason that I need to help her and that it would be so fantastic if we had one another for support.
Like this forum...this forum is what keeps me strong at times when I am feeling weak...I think it would be even better to be able to just walk down the hall to this lady and just chat with her about what is bothering me, or vice versa.

I will definitely pray for her. I hope she is getting better.
I may one day bring something up to her about my drinking, it's difficult...it's easier when you go out for a cig and it's just the two of u...now everyone is surrounding everyone. I don't know.
Just felt like I needed to help her and that somehow she would help me as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please don't rely on gossip...too much .far too much drama and half truths being bantered about as facts.

I'm guessing you are looking for company to begin attending AA?
If so...please ask a friend and not a co worker who may or may not be inteerested...and even offended.

The book Alcoholics Anonymous has directions on how to approach people interested in quitting.
It is however from the perspective of those already working the AA program.

I am unsure how you could answer any AA questions without learning the AA program.

all my best......you are a kind woman who is trying to help I know that.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-27-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a lady at my work that everyone knows is a recovery addict. I don't feel it is with my best interest in mind that I say a word to her about my sobriety. I don't think the work place is a good place for mini AA meetings. I think the less everyone knows about each other the better off you are.
It would be nice to be able to walk down the hall and chat about problems but the workplace is not the place to do that and I would be very careful what I say at work. Just sayin'.
Mark said if its meant to be you will find each other. He's right...don't push fate. Things happen at their own pace for a reason and in their own time. If you have to ask -its not the right time.