Notices

Empty Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Empty Forum

Wow. This forum is very empty and lonely. I certainly hope that you all haven't gone back to the cigarettes, but it would be nice for those who are still quit to come back and share with the newcomers as to what worked for them. Let us know that it is possible.

I started smoking at the age of 14 and I am now 42. In all that time I have had one quit of 72 days, one quit of 11 months and numerous quits of 3 to 10 days.

Anyone here still quit?

Day 5 for me today.......
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there!! Today is #60 for me, quitting cold turkey from smoking and alcohol.

Glad that you are here!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job Leo~!

Thanks for popping in. Any tips?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tuffe, I haven't been using the site a ton lately, but I noticed a couple of months ago it seemed that there was more activity in here than usual. I guess it dropped all of a sudden. I would say it is not as active as the alcohol areas for sure.

My history with smoking is a little similar to yours. I quit the same age, but I started at 19 and quit for a measly week here, 3 weeks there during that first year about 3 times. (I had "puffed" on cigarettes for a week when I was 15, but that puffing wasn't taking in the drug, so I don't count that at all.) After my beginnings with it at 19 (which is also the age when I became legal for, and started indulging in, alcohol), I smoked steadily until I was 26, when I suddenly stopped out of the blue for no special reason and without seeking to achieve it for about a week and I did fine. Then I got into a fight with an ex- and I bought a pack right away. Then I carried on smoking all the way till last May. I just passed my 2 months.

It will be a cliche and stating the obvious, but yes: the first week is the worst. I have found it helpful to read through whyquit.com every once in a while, either to check on a piece of information or just to get a sense of encouragement by reading, like anyone would do here. According to one of the articles there, a perosn that has quit typically feels craving peaks at day 3 and then again at around day 7 or 10. Why that spike resumes a week later was never clear to me, but when I read that at around day 5, it was good to know, because I braced for it. Then it got better, as each day and week would roll by.

I can remember bytching and complaining about how my mind would think about reaching for a cigarette way more than I would sense a longing to take a drag and get a buzz from it. That was going on during the first two weeks, and it has tapered right dwn since then. It's very rare that it enters my mind now; and the reflex thoughts (I just finished the dishes, therefore let's smoke; I just finished X, therefore smoke) are still very real but those have dwindled way down. It's amazing, and I would never have thought I would reach this point. I haven't been away from it this long since before I started. So I am quite pleased with myself.

I don't have anything specific to provide as a tip whle writing this, other than to keep things that remind you of smoking (lighters, ashtrays) out of sight.

Keep going.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about a serious quit attempt on the cigs. I've been sober from alcohol for nearly 100 days, and I think I should 'celebrate' my 100 days by giving myself another gift - freedom from the cigarettes.

This one I'm really dragging my feet over, though. I've quit numerous times, on several occasions (particularly with both my pregnancies) I've stopped smoking for a couple of years. But I always seem to end up right back at square one. What makes it even harder is that my Hubby smokes, too. I'll be fine all day (well...tearing my hair out, snappy, jittery, etc..but 'fine', as in coping). But once he gets home and lights up in the yard, well. That's our time to chat about our day. He has his wine, and I have my soda or tea, which has been hard at times. Doing that without a cigarette is going to be even harder.

I NEED to do it, though. I really do. I'm feeling the effects of being a pack a day smoker for a long time, and I hate it. Any tips for making this the final attempt?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking has given me so much!

Time smoking: 3-3.5 years
Amount: 1-2 packs a day, 2-4 cigs at once.
Quit attempts: 3-5
Quit time: 1 year, 6.5 months

I'll be posting an explenation how i quit nicotine cold turkey without any modern aids and smoked herbs instead once this terrible heat, that I'm not used to, goes away.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did go back to smoking But I quit again this week, however I went back into my garbage yesterday and I smoked an old butt, I am SICK!!!!! I swear it's harder than quitting the drugs. AND I'm definitely the biggest B when I first quit grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit smoking back in April and I'm still going strong, and still credit the ease and strength of this quit to reading Alan Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking for Women, best money I ever spent! No NRT no cravings, I have gained about 5 pounds but that's ok the weight won't kill me like the cigs.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi all!

I have quit before but I more or less have been smoking since I was 16 and I am 42.
I got sober 3+ years ago but have not been ready to really quit smoking until now. It happens when it happens I suppose.

So...I am on Day 3 and I am really encouraged so far. I quit cold turkey. Hubby quit too but is using Chantix. I was afraid to use Chantix cause I am prone to depression so I decided to just go cold turkey.

I am also using so many of the tools I have been using to recover from alcoholism for the last 3 years. I spend a lot of time telling myself that if I smoke, I will die. i know. Seems a little nuts but I truly believe that if I use drugs or alcohol again, I will die. It may take a bit but I will certainly die if I continue. So I am focusing on the years of life I am saving by quitting today.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck TT! I was alcohol free for over 3 yrs too before I could quit smoking I felt it was better for me to quit one thing at a time and focus on that.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit almost two years ago, cold turkey using "The easy way" book by Allen Carr. Something in that book just "clicked" with me. I think it might have been the thought that it was just three days of physical addiction to beat and then the rest was habit & mental addiction.

The first three days was interesting and what kept me strrong was my determination not to be an addict. After the physical addiction was gone I was good, I had "cravings" But Alan Carr addressed that in his book and made them easy to overcome.

Never again.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Started at age 16...quit at 25.

Started again at 32.....quit at 38.

Started again at 58....quit at 62.

Age 64...2 years quit....once again.

Crazy huh? Hopefully, I am done for good, but, based on my history, one never knows!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I am on day 10 today. I feel great.

Smoking is just not an option for me anymore. I hate the guilty feeling when I smoked....always wondering if THIS cigarette would be the one that caused the cancer.

It IS doable. No one ever dies fromn quitting smoking, however, millions have died from the effects of smoking.

I am SO WORTH my quit.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I smoked today GRRRRRRRR! I'm so bad! I swear smoking is harder to quit than drugs and alcohol, I don't know what my problem is. I'm starting again tomorrow! Does anyone else get horrible headaches when they quit?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I certainly hope that you all haven't gone back to the cigarettes, but it would be nice for those who are still quit to come back and share with the newcomers as to what worked for them.

Since you asked.... I started smoking around 14 and quit for about 6 months at 18 and then heavily, heavily chain smoked until age 24. I started coughing blood, and coughing so hard and long I couldn't breathe and would panic. I made up my mind to quit.

What I did (came up with it on my own):

1. set a quit date and time a week away, and until that date and time smoked even more heavily than usual, just smoked and smoked and smoked. When the time came I didn't even have my "last" cigarette in any official rite of passage. I was so very sick of it I threw out the package with a few left.

2. no more sitting after meals with coffee and cigarette. jumped up and got away from the table.

3. pen and paper handy for whenever I was on the phone. I still doodle on the phone to this day

4. drove with a pen in my hand held like a cigarette for over year

5. this I think was the biggy: lots of people switched to chewing gum but I didn't like it. I decided to replace it with something that tasted really strong because I never wanted to smoke while I was eating. I chose black licorice. I became a bit of an expert on it and I had to go farther and farther to get it because I was buying all the candy store's stock. Two things: turns poop black and is mild laxative. Another thing I didn't learn until years later: the product imported to used to make licorice was also used in the production of cigarettes. I don't know if that helped, but I found it interesting. I no longer needed the black licorice after about a month.

The hardest thing for me was all the extra time on your hands when you are no longer buying, finding your cigarettes and /or lighter and /or ashtray. I was fidgety and the days seemed so much longer. Next time (but there will never be a next time) I would have a hobby or distraction lined up.

And finally, this was 30 years ago. I've never started smoking again and have no desire. The only thing I miss: arguing when smoking was so much more effective when you had this prop to point with, flick, exhale smoke, etc. I had to relearn arguing! LOL

Thanks for asking (I love telling people, but no one else seems to want to hear) and good luck. If any of this helps, that's great!

And oh yeah, my AH quit the same day. He lasted a week, he still smokes - outside now.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am about to start a job that has no smoking on the property. I used to manage well with those e-cigs but this new job's policy is no e-cigs. I will be working as a nurse in a high stress unit for 12 hour shifts. How am I going to do this? Gum? Patches gave me headaches and a bad metallic taste. Even when I chopped them up and put them on my ankles it still was too much nicotine. I need to get down to maybe either quitting or being able to go 12 hours at a time without discomfort. I smoke way too much so it's not going to be easy at all. I just don't want to be grouchy, disoriented, hateful because I'm missing my nicotine. any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Oh my goodness! Today is Day 6 after cold turkey quit. I am SOOOO excited! I love not even having to worry about it.

I have used the program. It seems to be working for me just as it did with drugs and alcohol. I just do not do moderation. So now I won't worry, I just won't smoke. I also tell myself that smoking is not an option. I just don't pick up, no matter flippin what.

One day at a time.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow this thread exploded!! That's a good thing though. As far as tips go, as with alcohol I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I figured why not give up both at the same time?

I take each day one at a time, but really don't have any thoughts or cravings to smoke. I didn't get hypnotized, nor did I buy any books or aids to quit. I just didn't bother going to the store to spend my money.

That kinda explains my avatar~~ I have a real problem with blowing hard earned $$ on cigs and booze these days. I hope everyone keeps gaining ground. Since I quit I feel so clean and food tastes so much better!

today is #69 so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Newwings, I have read other people saying they want to try to quit smoking after they get some months behind them with no alcohol, and I tried that too. It was around my 4th or 5th month that I tried. (In my post above I forgot to mention that.) I only made it till day 5. I read advice from others here who said to concentrate on maintaining your sobriety first. I think I might have used that as an excuse in my head to pick up smoking again.

I don't know how to make this the final time, but I am giving it some thought to that question. When you think back to when you approached sobriety, did you think to yourself you had lived a certain length of time and that you didn't want X percentage of your life to be about drinking? Do you think the same thing could apply to smoking and quitting that?

I don't know how easy it would be with your husband around with it. I find that when I walk by and detect smoke I have that aversion I used to have when I was younger and a non-smoker. And then I have this image of myself as a "typical ex-smoker" - you know, the person who gets really cranky about it desipte having been a career smoker. And then I EMBRACE it in my brain. But I don't say anything to others about their smoke yet; it hasn't been that bad. Maybe you will adapt in your own way if he sticks with smoking.

When I picture me at 1 week, I remember it being an issue to deal with every 10 minutes or less. But that was decreasing. Soon it became less constant, and more about "punctuating" things - punctuating dinner, a chore, a phone call - there was a memory of smoking after having done something, whatever it was, and now I didn't have smoking with which to punctuate all those things. That's when I just inhale a clean, deep breath, and the thought vanishes. Maybe once a week I will say to myself out of the blue, "I just had a craving." I am hoping that the gap between those keeps getting wider and wider.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I quit 8 months ago and am doing fine. With me, not talking about it keeps it off my mind so I don't share much.

But I can say it got easier and I am happy now that I quit.

I feel much the same but I know I am healthier and that I am no longer taking the risks I was when I smoked.

Hang in there everyone, we're worth the effort and good lungs.

Smoke-Free Hugs