Thread: Empty Forum
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
wellnowwhat

I certainly hope that you all haven't gone back to the cigarettes, but it would be nice for those who are still quit to come back and share with the newcomers as to what worked for them.

Since you asked.... I started smoking around 14 and quit for about 6 months at 18 and then heavily, heavily chain smoked until age 24. I started coughing blood, and coughing so hard and long I couldn't breathe and would panic. I made up my mind to quit.

What I did (came up with it on my own):

1. set a quit date and time a week away, and until that date and time smoked even more heavily than usual, just smoked and smoked and smoked. When the time came I didn't even have my "last" cigarette in any official rite of passage. I was so very sick of it I threw out the package with a few left.

2. no more sitting after meals with coffee and cigarette. jumped up and got away from the table.

3. pen and paper handy for whenever I was on the phone. I still doodle on the phone to this day

4. drove with a pen in my hand held like a cigarette for over year

5. this I think was the biggy: lots of people switched to chewing gum but I didn't like it. I decided to replace it with something that tasted really strong because I never wanted to smoke while I was eating. I chose black licorice. I became a bit of an expert on it and I had to go farther and farther to get it because I was buying all the candy store's stock. Two things: turns poop black and is mild laxative. Another thing I didn't learn until years later: the product imported to used to make licorice was also used in the production of cigarettes. I don't know if that helped, but I found it interesting. I no longer needed the black licorice after about a month.

The hardest thing for me was all the extra time on your hands when you are no longer buying, finding your cigarettes and /or lighter and /or ashtray. I was fidgety and the days seemed so much longer. Next time (but there will never be a next time) I would have a hobby or distraction lined up.

And finally, this was 30 years ago. I've never started smoking again and have no desire. The only thing I miss: arguing when smoking was so much more effective when you had this prop to point with, flick, exhale smoke, etc. I had to relearn arguing! LOL

Thanks for asking (I love telling people, but no one else seems to want to hear) and good luck. If any of this helps, that's great!

And oh yeah, my AH quit the same day. He lasted a week, he still smokes - outside now.