Notices

Will I ever be able to again?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I ever be able to again?

I love music. One of my favorite things to do on weekends it to go out and see the local bands. I know I am not going to be able to do that for awhile. But I am afraid I won't be able to do it at all. Depressing
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't see why not. You can get out and enjoy yourself. Sobriety shouldn't just be a tomb. Enjoy and keep aware. I'm starting to go outside myself and expand my boundaries, I'm just doing it in new and healthier ways and so far they seem more enjoyable ways. Stay the course.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You CAN. I've done it, and quite early on in my sobriety, too (but don't go if you don't feel ready, you are supposed to enjoy it, not white knuckle the evening). I can report back that I had a great time! I hadn't seen a band in a sober condition for many years, and had forgotten that over time, it had become less about the music and more about getting wasted. What a shame! I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the buzz of the crowd, but more importantly, the music - which is what it's really about. I could pick up on much more than I would have done drunk - subtle stuff, but crucial to the musical experience.

*Just make sure you are armed with a soft drink you really like. Make it a tall one, and don't let it get too low If you feel overwhelmed, walk out and try again another time.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love music too - I was a performing musician....but I needed to take time off and focus on my recovery...I needed time away from drinkers bars and alcohol.

When I was sure my recovery was strong enough - when I was sure nothing would, or could, 'throw' me - I went back to live bands....

no problems....except that I find the bar scene really empty and sad now, so I hardly ever go to bars anymore....

The few months it took me to get to that point were a great investment on my future

D
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to a birthday party last weekend. I had to go because it is one of my very good friends. I decided I wasn't going to drink before I went and I didn't. Everyone was drinking. At first I felt quiet but then I started having a really good time eating and chatting it up. I stayed for 3 hours! You can enjoy life sober even around those who are drinking.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I go to lots of shows... At first, I didn't go to shows where there was a lot of open alcohol, but now I am not bothered.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you may need a break, I was able to ease into it through time. Early on it was tough seeing and smelling it. Now shows are so much more enjoyable and I barely notice the intoxicated. Take it from another music nut!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know it's hard to imagine right now but I think you'll be able to one day. While it's not something I'd do frequently, it's not something I would stop myself from doing now if there was something I really wanted to go see. Just plan it, I choose to drink something else non alcoholic at such events.

I went to the concerts in the past, great ones, mostly wiped now from my memory now though because I was so intoxicated :/
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ang

recovery first and foremost

all the rest will follow

all good wishes ang
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know that as soon as I step through the doors, the smell of smoke and alcohol will drift through my nares and I will want to have a drink. I lasted 60 days last time. Went to a car show with a friend of mine. A band was playing, people were laughing, dancing and having a good time. My friend had a beer. I don't drink beer so I thought it would be ok. After an hour I thought, I can have just one beer. I had one beer and we went home. The next day I was out and about and without any thought, I stopped and got a 1/2 pint of vodka. Then later another 1/2 pint. Soon my drinking progressed into far worse than what it was before I quit. Two days later I bought a 1/2 gallon. I have never bought a half gallon. I was suppose to go to work but my roommate came home and found me on the floor with pizza all over the place. I had consumed 1/2 of that bottle in approx 3 hours. No work for me. Needless to say, I lost my job for no call no show. Sorry to keep going on. I have to remind myself daily why I am here. I have to find the triggers and learn how to deal with them. I want sobriety more than anything I ever wanted before. I don't want to give up my music. Music has gotten me through so many lonely years as a teenager. I will give up going to listen to bands if I have to. It just sucks thinking about it.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I also loved attending live shows. But I always, always drank, and usually to excess. I've only been to one venue since to see music (my wife's son's band) and it was hard not to drink. I didn't enjoy myself because I was too focused on my discomfort, which I wanted to drown in alcohol.

So I haven't seen a concert in over nine months. I almost feel ready. Almost. I won't risk my sobriety for a few hours of enjoyment. I like live music, but it's not my life.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I avoided shows and bars for the first 3 months or so. Now I am slowly starting to go to more. You can do it too. I recommend taking it very slow.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
I love music. One of my favorite things to do on weekends it to go out and see the local bands. I know I am not going to be able to do that for awhile. But I am afraid I won't be able to do it at all. Depressing
I thought when I got sober that life would be dull, boring and glum.

It was for a while, mind, when I first stopped drinking there was a massive hole in my life and time went sooooooooo s-l-o-w-l-y.

But soon all that passes, and the next thing you know you don't know how to pack it all into that 24 hours we have.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
I thought when I got sober that life would be dull, boring and glum.

It was for a while, mind, when I first stopped drinking there was a massive hole in my life and time went sooooooooo s-l-o-w-l-y.

But soon all that passes, and the next thing you know you don't know how to pack it all into that 24 hours we have.
Thanks TOSH. Love the name.