Notices

Things I'm Trying to Subdue Monster Anxiety

Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things I'm Trying to Subdue Monster Anxiety

I get days when i'm so freaking anxious. I want to deal with this, want to solve it, don't want to flee from it. But what a monster! I really don't know what to do, but i will keep trying.

- I just got the book "The Food Solution to Control Anxiety". I'm going to change my diet, see if that helps.
- I am keeping up with exercise. I had a great outdoor morning workout yesterday, and that seemed to help. But then this morning, i'm hit with fear, and all the benefits evaporated.
- I write/journal everyday.
- Staying sober.
- Taking Paxil (20mg).
- Reducing caffeine.

This stuff seems so freaking unfair, like cancer. I don't want it, but i got it. And i'm sort of angry about it too.

My work environment is semi-hostile too. Probably half the people are unfriendly, pissed off, always irritated about everything, shooting dirty looks and gossip everywhere. I get the feeling that i direct my anger inwards, and they direct theirs outwards. So i lose both ways.

What are you trying to do for your anxiety? What have you found that works?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anxiety is the pits. Sounds like you're trying to get a handle on it. I'm diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder. In the last month or so I've been on a nutrient rich diet combined with daily exercise and I believe its helping. I also try to meditate a little each day and just kind of follow my breath and calm down my cravy monkey mind that's always chattering. Even starting with sitting 5 or 10 minutes to start might help. The worse thing with anxiety is getting anxious about it and trying to fight it, it makes me more anxious. Hope things can start getting better for you.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im the same...........I know what to do to help myself............ But I need to do it Consistantly.
Im using/working the ACA program to get permanent relief.Cheers for now.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Diet never seemed to work for me and it was extremely hard to adhere to it. I just learned how to relax through meditation
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

anti-depressants stopped those worrying thoughts for me. I used to worry about everything my mind was going 100 miles an hour talk to your doctor medication may be needed. I wish I did sooner.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
I get days when i'm so freaking anxious. I want to deal with this, want to solve it, don't want to flee from it. But what a monster! I really don't know what to do, but i will keep trying.

- I just got the book "The Food Solution to Control Anxiety". I'm going to change my diet, see if that helps.
- I am keeping up with exercise. I had a great outdoor morning workout yesterday, and that seemed to help. But then this morning, i'm hit with fear, and all the benefits evaporated.
- I write/journal everyday.
- Staying sober.
- Taking Paxil (20mg).
- Reducing caffeine.

This stuff seems so freaking unfair, like cancer. I don't want it, but i got it. And i'm sort of angry about it too.

My work environment is semi-hostile too. Probably half the people are unfriendly, pissed off, always irritated about everything, shooting dirty looks and gossip everywhere. I get the feeling that i direct my anger inwards, and they direct theirs outwards. So i lose both ways.

What are you trying to do for your anxiety? What have you found that works?
Good job. Having a plan and trying to stick to it is going to be vital. Keep it up. If you are on medication as it seems, make sure to remain in contact and be honest about how you are feeling.

My issue is controlling the physical symptoms. Like you've said, work played a big role because some days I am fine, but others can be horrendous.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
working on it

i have horrible anxiety. i used to have a really bad drug problem. but i had the anxiety ever since i was a kid. i just didn't know what it was at the time. now i know i have general anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder. i have ways i work on them, but they help a tiny bit at a time. sometimes the anxiety gets too overwhelming.

i cannot take benzodiazepines. they used to be great. but i abused them. and now when i abuse them, i have horrible personality changes, i get mean, angry, i steal ****, and i always land in jail.

i have bad reactions to all SSRI and SNRI, they make me horribly ill. tried them all.

there is one supplement that really helps. phenibut. but only once in a while. tolerance builds within a day or two, and then doesn't work. it actually works on the same part of the brain as benzodiapines, and feels very similar. you can get this at any supplement store. kava with it feels just like benzos, without the crazy reactions.

as for drugs, Lyrica (pregabalin) has been a huge help

and baclofen really helped too.

sorry for the really long post, just wanted to give some ideas. thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
My issue is controlling the physical symptoms. Like you've said, work played a big role because some days I am fine, but others can be horrendous.
Mine too. I woke up really anxious wed. I called in sick to work, and slept pretty much all day. I cannot believe how much i can sleep. I worked today, and things went very well. So, like you, some days i'm find, others are horrendous.

Originally Posted by jaywilll View Post
i have horrible anxiety. i had the anxiety ever since i was a kid. i just didn't know what it was at the time.
Me too. I self-medicated in different ways. Now, i'm trying to be 100% clean, and i'm discovering the anxiety i had when i was a kid. It's wierd to be 30 years older and having the same anxious feelings.

Originally Posted by jaywilll View Post
i have bad reactions to all SSRI and SNRI, they make me horribly ill. tried them all.
I'm wondering if my sick day yesterday was from the SSRI paxil. FailedTaper (different member) said she had bad reactions to SSRIs too. I feel good today, which gives me hope that self-medicating was the wrong approach. Plus, i watched 6 episodes of Intervention yesterday. Sheesh, there are some people with serious addictions. There but for the grace of god go i.
I don't feel i'm anxious because i stopped drinking. I feel i was attracted to drinking because i was anxious; the anxiety came first.