Notices

Feeling like a dodged a bullet

Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Feeling like a dodged a bullet

I was away this weekend. Took my infant to visit family and left my other children with my husband at home.

I had a medical issue one evening and called my husband to keep him informed. At 8pm.

Do you know I never once called my husband after say, noon if I was away? I didn't want him to hear me slur.

I was at the ER, sober, on the phone.

I have almost a year now and I still frequently have that feeling you get when you wake from a nightmare and realize you're safe.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this post. When we first quit drinking we think we are giving something up, but if so, why did we have to hide it?

And I completely understand the feeling that you've awakened from a nightmare. Congratulations and I hope you feel better.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never made phone calls after 5 pm. LOL Good for you. And good for you to realize the difference.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Thank you for posting this.

You have just shown others how much we can and do change and how our 'feelings' change too.

I too remember incidents similar to what you posted. And it was usually only later that the "aha" came. Wow I got through that and I was SOBER!

Those incidents like yours helped me to realize just how great sobriety is, even with all the 'land mines' and 'curve balls' that life can throw me.

My first one of those incidents was getting stopped by a police officer when I was on the way from an AA meeting to a coffee shop where we were meeting, with several other AAers in the car. OMG, my heart started beating extremely fast, I could feel the sweat forming on my forehead, and immediately thought, I am going to jail. Then I realized, I was sober. I was coming from a meeting. I had AA folks in the car.

Turned out he just wanted to warn me, not even a warning ticket, that my license plate light was out and needed to be fixed or some officer would give me a ticket. He was very nice. We talked for a minute. He had seen my bumper stickers "One Day At A Time" and "Sober and Crazy." He did ask if I was a member of AA and I emphatically said yes, and laughed. He then said,"bet I gave you a scare." I just nodded not knowing whether to laugh or cry. He said "I bet y'all are on the way to the coffee shop." Again I nodded. He then said "have a good evening." As he started to turn to walk away, he said "Oh btw I'm a friend of Bill W. too."

Whew, the feelings.

So, again thank you for SHOWING how our lives and feelings change as we continue to stay sober.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally get your post. Two nights ago I had to take my eldest to the Emergency Room for a minor eye injury - it was 10.30pm at night. After being there for a couple of hours, we found out that if we'd left it until morning she could have had her eyesight permanently damaged.

A few months back, I wouldn't have been able to drive her down...probably tipsy and thinking that leaving it wouldn't have been a big problem, since it was only red and watery. This time, I was sober and able to do so, and tap into my sober gut instinct that she needed to be seen. Thank goodness.

I often thought I wasn't doing much harm to my family by being 'buzzed' on booze every night. How very wrong I was. Yet another great reason to be a sober Mom.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post SSIL...and I hope you're ok now?

D
Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for posting, it is amazing really how much we all have in common when we clear out our heads and bodies of that stuff. After years of not going out without a driver most of the time it really is freeing to realize we can go anywhere at any time because we are sober.

Heckuva thing for adults to finally realize. Kind of gives me a grin from time to time still too.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks for the post SSIL...and I hope you're ok now?

D
I'm fine, thanks. They are not sure what was wrong (unexplained pain). Maybe something I ate, IDK.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome post, glad to hear your okay!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just love posts like these.
Grateful one day at a time.