Notices

Anxiety Without Benzos

Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Without Benzos

I have detoxed from benzos, an am now learning to cope with life stress and anxiety without it.

I detoxed from benzos because I looked up on wikipedia and elsewhere about how benzos are a short term solution to depression and anxiety. I had been taking them for 7 years....

They actually exacerbate symptoms of both. :/

I need to use other methods of coping now. Yoga, meditation, deep breathing, relaxing, fixing my self talk.

I have always turned to benzos, alcohol, self injury and pot when I was anxious and now I have none of those, since I am choosing healthy ways to cope.

Has anyone got some good tips, however off the wall they may be, to cope without benzos?

TIA!

xxx
Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dbh

I'm hoping to do the same thing.

My default (unhealthy) ways of coping/tuning the world out include:
  • food
  • watching bad TV
  • mindless surfing on the Internet
  • Xanax
  • wine

Alternative ideas (still working on this list):
  • making a cup of tea
  • exercise
  • yoga
  • meditation
  • calling a friend
  • going for a walk
  • writing in my journal
  • listening to music
  • sitting with my feeling until they pass

Thanks for bringing up the topic.

db
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

I had morning anxiety attacks that woke me out of sleep in a cold sweat. These went on for a few years, and I was given Ativan 1 mg tablets to take when I felt "nervous". I still woke up in a cold sweat anxiety, because how do you know you are "nervous" when you are asleep.

I was put on a tetracyclic antidepressant, very low dose, which stopped the morning attacks within the first few days I started taking them. They cause no side effects other than increased appetite, which for me is a major problem since I want to lose weight. I stopped taking them, and the attacks resumed.

I started back on them, and now I no longer have the attacks, but I am REALLY struggling to lose weight.

Oh well.

Oh, I no longer take any Ativan at all.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlelostbez View Post
I have detoxed from benzos, an am now learning to cope with life stress and anxiety without it.

I detoxed from benzos because I looked up on wikipedia and elsewhere about how benzos are a short term solution to depression and anxiety. I had been taking them for 7 years....

They actually exacerbate symptoms of both. :/

I need to use other methods of coping now. Yoga, meditation, deep breathing, relaxing, fixing my self talk.

I have always turned to benzos, alcohol, self injury and pot when I was anxious and now I have none of those, since I am choosing healthy ways to cope.

Has anyone got some good tips, however off the wall they may be, to cope without benzos?

TIA!

xxx
I've tried a lot of things as well but found that just staying healthy to be the core foundation of anything. I can't say much has changed because I believe anxiety can be related to chemical imbalances and over-active nerves.

But here's what I've tried.

Avoid sugar/caffeine drinks when you know you are going to be in a nervous situation, like a presentation. Avoid the same prior to sleep.

I have tried those calming tea, but they were gross in taste and I couldn't reallly feel much from it.

I exercise rigorously 3x a week or so, so that helps.

All in all, I believe it's just the way I was born.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wine / Ativan - not good

First, please don't mention wine > it triggers me...and MANY of us, I am sure.

Second, Ativan - a lady who founded our DRA (dual recovery anonymous) group on Thursdays almost DIED of Ativan overdoses, on EIGHT (8), COUNT THEM, EIGHT (8), different occasions...not good.

Hope and pray we all do well.

Anxiety right now, on scale of 0 to 10 > 1...good.

Shoots up to 10 on weekends.

UGH.

Kelly
Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Ten minutes on the Nordic Track makes my anxiety totally disappear for quite awhile afterwards.

To hell with the Ativan.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think benzos have been given a bad name. People who abuse them make it difficult for your doctor to prescribe them. If it wasn't for benzos I doubt I would be alive. I have been on and off them for 13 years. If you use them correctly and as directed by your doctor there should be no problem. I'm sober 88 days from alcohol if it wasn't for benzos that would not be possible. I have panic attacks and anxiety and have no problem using them in this situation.

Avoid caffiene and do exercise. Anti deppressants have helped me manage my anxiety greatly also.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yoga, meditation, exercise, tweak your diet, fresh organic fruits and veggies do wonders for boosting your mood. I have been taking ativan for 2 years and have noticed some serious side effects, I take it once or twice a week but would love to be free of them in the future. I have serious anxiety issues as well. Drinking only amplifies your depression/anxiety. Living through tough times in life makes you so much stronger. There are many people that suffer way beyond my mental health condition. If I have a panic attack I try to think of how grateful I am for my life and have compassion for people that suffer more than I.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try occupying yourself with other activities. As a Xanax user myself; I know these help me when I am without them. Give it a try!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been a "worrier" all my life and easily stressed out, but only recently did the anxiety take over my life and I had to take steps to deal with it. The one thing I was very adamant about with my psychiatrist was that I did not want Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc. My mother was an alcoholic who abused Vicodin and Valium and died of an accidental overdose, so I didn't want to take even the first benzo if I could help it. He put me on Cymbalta and a temporary Rx of Ambien because I was laying awake all night worrying. I was wary of the Ambien but did use it every other night for the first couple weeks and now I'm sleeping normally without it, because the Cymbalta is beginning to work, I guess.

But the things I do when my anxiety starts to ramp up:
Pet my cat
Get some exercise (walk, run, etc - but if I'm really anxious this seems to make it worse)
Yoga (again, I can't do if I'm really wound up)

Hope that helps!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anxiety - thanks, Yogaisland

My anxiety is bad, and I was drinking to self-medicate myself to sleep, since my anxiety caused me to have trouble GETTING to sleep.

I now take Seroquel 50mg to sleep, and it helps most nights.

Thanks for the tips on managing anxiety.

I wish you all well,

Kelly