View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Froglet

Originally Posted by littlelostbez View Post
I have detoxed from benzos, an am now learning to cope with life stress and anxiety without it.

I detoxed from benzos because I looked up on wikipedia and elsewhere about how benzos are a short term solution to depression and anxiety. I had been taking them for 7 years....

They actually exacerbate symptoms of both. :/

I need to use other methods of coping now. Yoga, meditation, deep breathing, relaxing, fixing my self talk.

I have always turned to benzos, alcohol, self injury and pot when I was anxious and now I have none of those, since I am choosing healthy ways to cope.

Has anyone got some good tips, however off the wall they may be, to cope without benzos?

TIA!

xxx
I've tried a lot of things as well but found that just staying healthy to be the core foundation of anything. I can't say much has changed because I believe anxiety can be related to chemical imbalances and over-active nerves.

But here's what I've tried.

Avoid sugar/caffeine drinks when you know you are going to be in a nervous situation, like a presentation. Avoid the same prior to sleep.

I have tried those calming tea, but they were gross in taste and I couldn't reallly feel much from it.

I exercise rigorously 3x a week or so, so that helps.

All in all, I believe it's just the way I was born.