Notices

Anxiety Rules My Life

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Rules My Life

so hard to avoid using alcohol to combat it.

K out
Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dbh

I can related.

Over the course of my life, I have used different substances to calm my anxiety.

Many years ago I smoked cigarettes. When I quit that, I turned to eating. Recently I noticed that my occasional glass of wine is turning into a nightly glass of wine because it helps me relax. A couple years ago when I was going through a stressful emotional period, my doctor prescribed Xanax. So now I often take Xanax to help me sleep.

All of a sudden I'm realizing that I'm on a slippery slope!

My fathered recently passed away. He was an alcoholic his entire life. He spent his last two years in a nursing home where he no longer had access to alcohol. Without alcohol, he was extremely anxious. I never realized that he was self medicating all these years.

My father wasn't a good father. As a matter of fact, he was an awful father. I've read that sometimes all our parents can do is show us how NOT to live our lives.

I don't want to head down the same path that my father did!

Alcohol is not a good solution for managing anxiety. I believe that long term use can actually make your anxiety worse.

I'm at the point in my life where I want more positives ways to help me cope.

Thanks for letting me share.

db
Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Yes, so many substances to help us TRY to cope - but, yes, I have also read that alcohol is used to combat anxiety, yet makes us more anxious.

Good luck to both of us.

Funny how, in the mornings and at work, I never think about alcohol, but while I'm driving home after 5 o'clock pm, I do.

UGH.

Kelly
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Prayers out, dear Kelly.

I have five year's sobriety....but it is a day by day relief. I suffer from bipolar, and GAD as well, and take meds for that. I don't like taking them...but I must.

I remember craving alcohol at 5 too. I am a member of AA, and it has helped to stay sober on a daily basis.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kelly, now 21 days sober, and on Paxil 2 weeks (10mg-a low dose), seeing my therapist regularly....I am starting to feel like a normal human again. The rabid cat in my chest that was always clawing seems to have been euthanized...or at least sedated for the time being.

As I have mentioned before....there is no magic bullet to gaining control, but there is a simulateneous multiple-weapon strategy.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tapping will help Immediately,Get to AA,or ACA to get the real Benefits and also come to terms with what is causing Anxiety........Good Luck.
You will find out all about Tapping on you Tube.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just to voice my opinion, perhaps because it is something diff't for me.

I have always had anxiety growing up, the excessive worries of presentations as a kid, the sweaty face, palms, the worries 24/7, the middle of the night wake ups. All these symptoms were with me growing up!

Alcohol for me was to get away from the realities, it soothed me and allowed me to escape and 'feel' good w/ a buzz. But the anxiety created from alcohol is totally diff't from the anxiety created from your body/environment.

I suspect heavy drinkers facing anxiety is merely withdrawal symptoms. I am a victim of both but am sobering finally, after so many years of abuse. I think the drinking worsened my tolerance, and hurt my body mentally and physically.

For people already beset w/ anxiety, it only worsens the problem.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dbh

Originally Posted by micealc View Post
... come to terms with what is causing Anxiety...
That's the million dollar question for me.

I've been working on my ACA recovery for over three years and it has helped me so much. Much of my initial anxiety had to due with my ACA traits. I was codependent and a huge people pleaser. I was spending a lot of my time worry about other people's problems, trying to control, and make everyone happy. Such an exhausting job! I've been able to let go of a lot of that.

I've worked through most of my issues with my alcoholic father and was able to be with him when he died last year. I hope that I was able to help him die with dignity.

I still have these underlying mood swings though. They don't happen nearly as frequently but I'm still having them. Also, simple tasks and situations can still fill me anxiety. Again, not as much as it used to happen but often enough that it gets in the way of me leading the life that I want.

I wonder how much is due to my upbringing and how much is due to my own body chemistry. When I'm feeling anxious/depressed my thoughts seem to be centered around not feeling good enough, not feeling appreciated/loved enough, and frustrated with my life. Still find that I'm not happy with who I am. No matter what I accomplish or achieve, I always seem to focus on what I haven't done. This makes me think that I have some more recovery work to do and that I have to let myself feel some of these uncomfortable emotions.

Thanks for letting me share.

db
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbh View Post
I wonder how much is due to my upbringing and how much is due to my own body chemistry. When I'm feeling anxious/depressed my thoughts seem to be centered around not feeling good enough, not feeling appreciated/loved enough, and frustrated with my life. Still find that I'm not happy with who I am. No matter what I accomplish or achieve, I always seem to focus on what I haven't done. This makes me think that I have some more recovery work to do and that I have to let myself feel some of these uncomfortable emotions.
I feel exactly the same way. NOTHING i do leaves me feeling content and satisfied for very long. I truly think it's my chemical makeup. I'm experiencing the same feelings that i did when i was a tween, and it's frustrating. I thought creating a new me, working at myself would change how i felt about myself. But no. My chemistry doesn't care about my external life. It rules from within. And i'm running out of moves, i don't know what to try next.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dbh

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
I feel exactly the same way. NOTHING i do leaves me feeling content and satisfied for very long. I truly think it's my chemical makeup. I'm experiencing the same feelings that i did when i was a tween, and it's frustrating. I thought creating a new me, working at myself would change how i felt about myself. But no. My chemistry doesn't care about my external life. It rules from within. And i'm running out of moves, i don't know what to try next.
My moods have been with me since I was a tween too. I sometimes even refer to this switch that goes off in my brain as my "inner teenager".

I think I'm triggered by both internal and external stuff. My hormones seems to play a big part in my anxiety/emotions as well.

Recovery and therapy are both helping. Although sometimes not quickly enough for me. I want to be "cured" and live happily ever after. I'm starting to realize that this is probably an unrealistic goal. I'll probably be a work in progress for the rest of my life. Just like everyone else.

The other day I was feeling depressed and found that my mood did improve after taking my dog for a long walk.

Taking it one step at a time :-)

db