Notices

Wife attending her Al anon meeting

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife attending her Al anon meeting

So has anybody's friends or family attended al anon meetings because of your drinking?

Is it helpful for them, for you? I hope it gives my wife a better understanding of my addiction and challenges to come, be more supportive of me and hopefully be here for the long run even if there are going to be some bumps in the road (not that I am planning on allowing that to happen but i understand how life goes, hopefully it only gets better).

Best regards,
Chris

Ps. Her "first" al anon meeting
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that AlAnon is a good idea for your wife, but the reason for AlAnon is to offer support to her. She needs support for herself, and to help her move forward with her life, just as you need support for your recovery.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Anna is right. Along the way, she will learn more about alcoholism, and she will also learn about the 12 Steps, because Al-Anon uses the same 12 Steps, although they apply somewhat differently.

Living with an alcoholic will make the most balanced person cuckoo. It's just the way it is. We don't realize, while we are drinking, how insane we are making the people around us. So she will get healthier, and you will get healthier, and it's good for both of you.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand it's support for her, which I know she needs. I just imagine that if she experiences meeting with other people have gone through what she has/is, it'll help her see that there is light at the tunnel and hopefully we'll learn how to support each other more and not be so distant. I know, patients is key, one day at a time.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Weeeellll, hopefully she will see light at the end of the tunnel for herself. Al-Anon is full of people whose alcoholic loved ones are still drinking and suffering. So I wouldn't count on its being a great place to see how many alcoholics recover. As you might have noticed, not everyone does.

Just concentrate on your own recovery right now. Let her take care of hers.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand Lexie, thanks