Notices

Why Aren't you drinking?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Aren't you drinking?

I've been reading a lot of posts here by people who are trying to get sober and I thought I'd talk a little about some of the phrases I used when I was doing so and was asked if I wanted a drink.

This is in no way to make light of the true seriousness of alcoholism but might give some people trying to stay sober some tips. I am also not encouraging anyone to lie. I believe a person can be honest and also use one of these lines.

Some that I have used.

I'm watching my girlish/boyish figure.
I'm allergic.
I'm in training.
It disagrees with my stomach.
I'm working on a new life (one of my favorites).

What are some of yours?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just tell people it's a change of lifestyle! which in all honesty it is!! sometimes I feel like turning the tables and asking "Why do you drink'?????
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya, sometimes I don't really want the answer to the "why do you drink" question. LOL Unless I'm in a meeting or someone has come to me for help.

"Change of lifestyle" is a perfect one.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Latte! I just tell the truth " I don't drink" end of story. I see no reason to make excuses. I can appreciate your suggestions though. I know some people have a problem with it.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at that stage in my life too.

I remember those first days though, and how difficult they really were.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just say "I am really thirsty today so I need to hydrate myself and just drink water today".
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't gotten much push back, I just say I don't drink. Or if people press me, I'll say "it was just not good for me." Honest. The sorts of people I'd be worried about finding out I have a problem usually are the same people that wouldn't press the issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I've found a better way to live for myself
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I simply say " No thanks, I don't drink." If they persist, I say "No, it gives me terrible headaches." That is the truth.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just say I dont drink, if people ask why, and in Australia they frequently do (sobriety seems to be perceived as more of an illness than alcoholism) I say its best for the safety of all of us that I abstain
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been saying that I no longer metabolize alcohol very well and it makes me sick easily.

This probably admits that I'm an alcoholic, but I like it because I don't want to sound preachy. I want people to continue having their own fun around me.

Also, it's TRUE. And it's the reason I stopped. And it doesn't contain an admission people probably do not want to hear.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Sometimes it is good not to be as honest. I remember explaining to people that I sometimes lose control of my bowel movements in public when I drink. It made the rest of the parent teacher conference night awkward
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I used to be the guy who made excuses the first couple of months, i.e, I'm getting in shape, the dr. said..., I'm sick, big day tomorrow. Now being that I have totally changed my perspective I tell people, "I don't drink anymore". Believe it or not I have gotten so much positive feedback from that I statement it is unbelievable.

Everyone who asks, then automatically says, "that is awesome, how did you do it?" Then I get to talk about some of the positive changes I made in my life, and I normally get told that I should be a motivational speaker, because of the passion I show when I talk about my change in lifestyle. It has changed my life so much in such a short amount of time that I have basically changed my career path to success coaching, I have changed my lifestyle to "fitness guy", and my outlook on life and the future is about possibilities and positive motivation. If I knew it would be this easy and this much fun I would have done it 10 years ago. There are no negatives in saying, "no thanks, I don't drink anymore". Believe it or not that statement brings with it alot of respect and alot of positive affirmations. Now I enjoy being asked because I get to talk about my success and my direction.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To mates or family.. I say 'It screws with my head' or 'Im to old for that crap'

I used to say the allergy thing..
Ive said 'I prefer ginger beer'.. 'Im driving tonight'

The longer I kept at sobriety.. the less that asked me... it actually turned around

Ive had about 4 ask me how I do it..opening up conversations on their use
Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Red face I haven't used it. . .

but I keep thinking about saying something about "I already exceeded my lifetime quota." Those who know (knew?) me as a party girl can laugh but it's honest.

In the meantime, I have told a few friends that have asked that after Memorial Day weekend, where I drank WAY too much for 5 days straight, that I needed a break from alcohol. It's a bit waffle-ish but it is the truth (when I woke up Tuesday morning and realized I couldn't remember how I got to bed for 5 nights running it was a BIG ah-ha moment) and the key omission is that the break is permanent.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As I am only on Day 2, but having been bingeing every weekend for the past while, ppl will understand when I say my body and soul needs a break. And the longer the break is the less questions. I quit before for 5 years and know how wonderful it is and am proof of how progressive the disease is as I started again 4 or 5 years ago and have had many losses and now I drink to oblivion when I do drink that it has scared me straight so to say.

I like I am allergic, I break out in a drunk...

It will be a challenge being summer and so many gatherings, but I will be the designated driver and I need to quit to save my life. I have so much to live for that other ppl being uncomfortable because I am not drinking is their problem not mine. I think the fear of relapsing at such an early stage is preventing me from saying I quit just yet. Once I have some months under my belt I will be confident is saying outright that I Quit..
Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I got a dui
Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I rarely get asked cause I'm rarely in social 'drinking' situations, as I was a home-alone-drinker, but "no thanks, I don't drink" does just fine.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess this only applies to people you already know when you get sober otherwise i have always said i don't drink...when they asked why i say i just don't drink?!

It was impossible for me to hang around old drinking buddies though and keep the old click, i did try many times but never succeeded...a change in enviroment and lifestyle along with a lot of work in a recovery program was necessary for me to recover:-)
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Buddy of mine says "I don't drink normally". I thought it was perfect. In his mind he's reminding himself he does not drink normally. The person just thinks he's saying that he doesn't normally drink.