Notices

what do you do when the cravings come?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what do you do when the cravings come?

ive known for years that i need to get sober

ive been in and out of AA

i can try to develop new nighttime routines, etc but have a hard time once a specific time of evening comes (around 10:00 usually)

i am lucky enough to live across the street from the beach, and am going to take a walk tonight and try to establish a "sober place" where i can go when cravings come

does anyone have any other ideas or recommendations along these lines?

please dont just say "go to a meeting", as there arent any that start that late and moreover i have never had any trouble going directly from a meeting to a liquor store

my apologies if i sound curt- i am typing with a broken hand

respect to all, and all input appreciated

Dave
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This kind of technique was useful for me Dave
Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

It helped me too to realise cravings were actually finite, and that I didn't have to act on them.
I could consciously not act on a craving, and that actually helped me for the next time.

It may not be comfortable or pleasant, but I just because I feel the trigger doesn't mean I have to shoot the bullet, ya know?

D
Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The cravings that I had in early recovery were mostly thoughts about drinking/drugging. I learned to stop those thoughts by thinking "STOP it brain" I am not going to give in to that urge. I know from experience if I continue to entertain the craving to use in my head, I would be picking up that first drug in no time.

Someone wrote here on SR to time the craving to see how long it would last. So I tried it on a craving one day. Without dwelling on the craving I found that it lasted for only a few minuets and it was gone.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

If I am understanding correctly you have been in and out of AA and found that it wasn't working for you. I was not able to stop having cravings without working the program of AA which is the Steps. I did not hesitate to jump in and do them as quickly as possible and it worked for me to turn the obsession to drink into the occasional fleeting thought of a drink. If that does not work for you maybe a different recovery program might be more beneficial to you. Here is a list of a few of them. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Dave . I am only day 29 with previous failed attempts. I found it helpful to remember

urges will come- fro me they have a "wave' type character- they come on, build up and last about 5-10 mins, if I don't talk them up or panic / or get distressed. If I handle it well I will get another after about 10minutes and so on.

they are unpleasant- but it helps to not talk yourself into them "being unbearable" "it's not fair" etc ie anything that portrays you as weak and losing control.

they cannot "make" you drink (they do not control your arms and legs)

They will go

Their strength and intensity tends to diminish with time

If you do not respond to them you will feel much better in the morning

Chocolate before you know an urge is coming also helps eg in your case at 9.45

Best of luck
What are you going to "do" when you get to the beach to occupy you ?

Last edited by instant; 06-12-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: could not get "list" right
Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One thing I did (and it caused me to gain a few pounds, which are now gone) is that I started a new bedtime ritual of reading in bed with a bowl of ice cream before going to sleep. I always used to read in bed in my pre-alcoholism days, but when I was drinking I couldn't focus enough to read. The ice cream was my nightcap.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
(they do not control your arms and legs)
I love that!

i plan to find a little spot to sit, pray, meditate and enjoy the tide pools

actually looking forward to this tonight

thank you to all- happy urge surfing!

D
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

To begin with I assigned myself a whole new daily ritual. A departure from a familiar life.
This new life involved much more physical activity. I was never much for physical activity when under the influence of anything. Today, I walk my dogs a lot, hike a lot, play solo basketball a lot and do lots of yard work. When I'm not moving I'm focusing on my program with daily readers, CAL and lately this forum.

I still get cravings but they are short lived and I make myself move so that I realize that I'm enjoying moving and that if I were to indulge I wouldn't be moving.

Loneliness is my achilles heel. I have no idea where the switch is in my head that flips me from serene solitude to lonely. Big problem is I do not have much in the way of a new social circle. I've drastically decreased my previous social circle because they were practically all users as well. I'm working on my new circle and it is growing slowly but I spend a great deal of time alone and it seems whenever I pick up the phone to call there's no one to answer.