Finding Happiness - Each Day a New Beginning

Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Finding Happiness - Each Day a New Beginning

You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning

We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same.
—Anne Frank

Happiness feels so close and yet so far away. Perhaps we look to a person for it, or to a job, or a new winter coat. We deserve happiness, we know. Yet, we learn so slowly that happiness can only be found within. The person leaves; the job goes sour; the new coat is quickly out of style. Elusive, all of them.

But the happiness that comes from knowing who we are and how our lives fit in the grand design of the Creator, never eludes us. We are one of a kind. And there is no other who can offer to the world of friends just what each of us can. We are needed, and knowing that, really knowing it, brings happiness.

Before we found this program, we no doubt failed to realize our worth. We can celebrate it now. We can glory in our worth, our specialness, and we can cherish the design. We can cherish our parts and cherish the part each other person plays.

Combined, we are as one big orchestra. The conductor reads the music and directs the movements. Being in tune with the conductor feels good. I can call it happiness. All I need do is play my part.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey © 1982, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Early in recovery it scared me when I was told that I could only find happiness "within". My "within" was quite a neurotic, sad, beaten mess and I had been so busy tending to the lives of other people that I no longer knew the stranger called "me" who lived there.

But slowly I healed, slowly I became acquainted with that stranger called "me" and got to like her, warts and all. Slowly I found hope for better days ahead...and then it occurred to me that I found all this...within. Just like those who went before me said I would.

It was an illusion thinking anyone else held the key to my happiness. Only I held that key and only I could use it to find more treasures and days in the light. I found that I could be happy, that it was OKAY to be happy, regardless of how others chose to live their day.

I found things I loved to do, that I had never taken time away from others to try before. Photography, nature, and walks on the beach, reading a good book and doing some writing (a hobby I had long neglected).

Happiness had been so elusive to me that I had no idea how wonderful it would feel when I found it again and could smile, laugh and dance with joy.

Wishing you all dances of joy today. Just throw on a smile, kick up your heels and dance away!!!

Hugs
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Ann - this is exactly what I needed to read today. Donna
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is so true.

Looking to another person for my happiness places a huge burden on them. It's unfair for me to expect them to provide my happiness. On the flip side of that coin, it's unfair and unreasonable to believe that I hold the key to someone elses happiness. I don't. Relieving myself of that burden and relieving that burden from others leaves me free to find that happiness where it truly resides....in me.

Thanks for sharing this Ann. I always love the readings that you choose to share. They always seem to hit a chord with me.

I'm off to DANCE.......and I don't care who watches;-)

gentle hugs
ke