Notices

Need opinions/ suggestions for Roxy/OC Abuse

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need opinions/ suggestions for Roxy/OC Abuse

Hey, I'm new to this site and have a few questions about my roxy abuse.

I started taking those 30 mg blue little pill Roxys (Oxycontin instant release?) in January. I sometimes take a quarter of one (7 mg) before work, and another quarter-half (7-15 mg) at night......Basically I go through 2 of them every 3 days. I used to take only 1/4-1/2 a night and get really high off of em, now I just get a more "chilled-high" not really "rocked" like I used to.

There are days here and there where I don't take any, and the withdraws aren't out of control bad, but I always find more the next day and I'm back on it. It's not too much of a problem, but I want to try to get off these things just to be perfectly normal again.

Some of my friends got really bad but quit recently. I would go to them for advice, but they were all taking multiple roxys a day and I don't think I'm really in the same situation from the way they told me the withdraws they used to get.

Part of my problem is that for the last 3-4 years I used to smoke weed almost every weeknight with my roommates and friends in college, and these roxys are almost a replacement for them (Stopped smoking weed when I started these). I like my life, and have a good job, alot of friends, go out on the weekends, etc...... but I just get really bored easily at night and like to have something to look forward to after I go to work/ go to the gym almost as a reward.......Some people like to have a drink or 2 to unwind at night, and I like roxys basically LOL.

I was wondering if I should ween off them, and if so, how? Would suboxone be better for me? How long do you think I would withdraw if I just went cold turkey for such a relatively small amount?

Thanks, Nick.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nick - welcome!

I was wondering if I should ween off them, and if so, how? Would suboxone be better for me? How long do you think I would withdraw if I just went cold turkey for such a relatively small amount?
We can't give you medical advice here... it's against our rules - have you considered consulting a Dr with these questions?

I think a lot of us move from drug to drug without ever considering the real problem to much - why do we need to get high/unwind?

People relax in all kinds of ways - & most people don't need drugs to relax.

It's entirely possible to live drug free. You'll get a lot of advice here on that, and in our substance abuse forum too.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I think support is important when changing our lives.
Have you considered something like NA or SMART, or counselling?

D
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Nick - welcome!

Thanks.

I understand that there are other ways to relax besides drugs, and I have had many sober nights over the last few years. It's not like I struggle really badly when I don't do drugs at night, but I just love everything more when I do,if that makes sense. It's almost that I feel like I have nothing to lose by getting a "little high" at night.

Maybe I should go see someone, but I truly believe I am not like a typical junkie. I have everything in else in order in my life that I can't convince myself enough to just stop all of the drugs.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! Part of you must suspect you have a problem, even if things seem like they are working for you right now. You've already experienced some tolerance and started taking more and that's the way addiction grows...... so it's good that you're looking at it now.

Do check out the substance abuse section (the link that Dee posted) - lots of great support around here!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Welcome! Part of you must suspect you have a problem, even if things seem like they are working for you right now. You've already experienced some tolerance and started taking more and that's the way addiction grows...... so it's good that you're looking at it now.

Do check out the substance abuse section (the link that Dee posted) - lots of great support around here!
Thanks for the response.

I agree that I probably do have a problem, not as bad as others, but still a problem. I don't have an ongoing life problem, but I think it's more a boredom thing that is very tough for me to get over.

It's kinda like why do "normal" people go out and get a little drunk on the weekends? Of course you can still have fun and socialize with friends sober and go out, but everything is more fun with a few drinks, right? Same thing with me, when it comes to the drugs I use on weeknights. I have a fine time hanging out with my family or friends at night, watching tv, listening to music, etc but roxys just amplify everything for me. And it's not really affecting my life in anyway, so the risk/reward thing leans towards getting a little high for the night.

It's tough.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was / am in a similar boat with the same blue monsters. I started where you are and ended up at about 2-3x the dosage.

I think you'll find it's harder to quit than you think. It's easy to justify when the amounts are small but you'll build up a dependence and tolerance nonetheless. And I think you'll find it's MUCH harder to quit than you think. And the longer you keep using the harder it will be.

I say drop it while you can.

There are othe threads on here where people talk about their experience on Subs vs taper bs cold turkey and only you can make that decision. Personally I just went cold turkey three weeks ago and already the withdrawals are over and I'm learning to deal with the cravings.

Welcome aboard! You can do it!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are a lot of different methods for detoxing, however we cant really tell you anything specific on that because of the rules of this website. I strongly recomend talking to a dr about this. It would be very foolish for anyone to give you advice without even knowing your med history or your current vital stats. Even if your currently taking low doses.

I understand that there are other ways to relax besides drugs, and I have had many sober nights over the last few years. It's not like I struggle really badly when I don't do drugs at night, but I just love everything more when I do,if that makes sense. It's almost that I feel like I have nothing to lose by getting a "little high" at night.
That kind of tells me that detoxing is the least of your problems. Especially since you haven't hit your bottom (not that you need to) and dont feel like the "Typical Junkie". Remember, all typical junkies start off the way you did. If you really are a attic, things will progress, and aventually the consecuqences will outway the benifits of using. If you quit and stay sober, aventually you will fully enjoy the benifits of life without thinking about trying to enhance the moment with oc or something else. It does take time though, and a lot of work.