Having Fun

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having Fun

I feel like I'm allergic to fun. That has been the one part of me that is still AWOL. It seems like alcoholism stole it but alcoholism is gone and I'm still not having any fun. As my niece would say "Thumper is where fun goes to die." Ugh. That is not me. Well it actually is me but it never used to be me.

I plan fun things. I do the activity but I'm not *having fun*. It occurred to me so strikingly right now me because I just heard a song and I longed to have that kind of fun. When I long to have fun I have flash backs to previous fun days. No good. I want to have fun *today*, in this life, in this skin. What is blocking that? How do I get there?

Can anyone relate?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumper....
I can so relate. I had a physical last week & my doctor ( a friend) asked me what was wrong with me.
I used to be the energizer bunny. My car was never still. I always had a project list. I have businesses & children & charity boards, etc...
My car rarely gets out of the garage. I don't feel anything anymore. Never happy. Sometimes angry.
I have been so drained by my ah drug/alcohol addiction & relapses I can barely think anymore.
My doctor suggested an anti-depressant to help me re-boot.
I just came back from a trip to the caribbean. This is a fairy tale trip & yet it felt like I was some one else. I had to be coaxed out of my room everyday.
Normally I have every minute of a trip planned. But I could have just as easily been in my bedroom at home. Just spent a lot more money.
I really cannot wait for this haze & fog to clear. When they say you are as sick as the addict, they are so right.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe it has much to do with being present. It's just not possible to have fun if your mind is dwelling on the past, or anticipating (worrying about) the future.

When I read "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, the part that struck me the most was the three states of presence. He says there are only three "modes" of being in the present moment--Acceptance, Enjoyment, and Enthusiasm.

Now, this intrigued me, so I decided to try and remain present as much as possible while keeping these three states of being in mind. I presumed that much of the things I do every day would fall into the Acceptance category because most of it is really not that enjoyable, lol. Imagine my surprise when I focused on whatever I was doing at the moment, and found myself actually enjoying it! It sounds crazy, but when I made an effort to give all my attention to the task at hand, without using it as a means to an end, I found myself enjoying folding laundry, lol. Strange, but true.

L
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

What is the difference between Enjoyment and Enthusiasm?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The previous posts from The Elders of the Tribe reminded me of this text:

From Osho:

Sometimes it happens that you become one, in some rare moment. Watch the ocean, the tremendous wildness of it--and suddenly you forget your split, your schizophrenia; you relax. Or, moving in the Himalayas, seeing the virgin snow on the Himalayan peaks, suddenly a coolness surrounds you and you need not be false because there is no other human being to be false to. You fall together. Or, listening to beautiful music, you fall together. Whenever, in whatsoever situation, you become one, a peace, a happiness, a bliss, surrounds you, arises in you. You feel fulfilled. There is no need to wait for these moments--these moments can become your natural life. These extraordinary moments can become ordinary moments - that is the whole effort of Zen. You can live an extraordinary life in a very ordinary life: cutting wood, chopping wood, carrying water from the well, you can be tremendously at ease with yourself. Cleaning the floor, cooking food, washing the clothes, you can be perfectly at ease--because the whole question is of you doing your action totally, enjoying, delighting in it.

Osho Dang Dang Doko Dang Chapter 3

Commentary:

This figure walking in nature shows us that beauty can be found in the simple, ordinary things of life. We so easily take this beautiful world we live in for granted. Cleaning the house, tending the garden, cooking a meal--the most mundane tasks take on a sacred quality when they are performed with your total involvement, with love, and for their own sake, without thought of recognition or reward. You are facing a time now when this easy, natural and utterly ordinary approach to the situations you encounter will bring far better results than any attempt on your part to be brilliant, clever, or otherwise extra-ordinary. Forget all about making headlines by inventing the latest widget, or dazzling your friends and colleagues with your unique star quality. The special gift you have to offer now is presented best by just taking things easily and simply, one step at a time.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

no stinking thinking

start your day with meditation..a book, music, a good laugh, a walk...only you can change your attitude...do you feel your not worthy of FUN and HAPPINESS?...only you can answer that...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
What is the difference between Enjoyment and Enthusiasm?
I'm at work right now, so I can't go look it up in the book. But, if I remember correctly, he describes enthusiasm as "enjoyment with a purpose." For example, like when you are creating something.

I can look it up later and get you the exact words if you like.

L
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I was reading a Zen book:

It talked about non-violence. According to Zen, struggle with what you are feeling (or not feeling) is violence against yourself. Apathy is fine. Lack of enthusiasm is fine. (As long as it is not lasting, dangerous depression...)

We are all expressions of God, HP, Nature.. and if we go against us we are denying an expression of God, which is sacred.

So the attitude is not to stress or feel like a failure about not being happy or joyful and to accept other "colors" in your life, not only pink.... allow yourself to experience gray... or whatever "color" you relate to your mood...

In that book it says living is not perfection, nor everlasting joy and enthusiasm (because that is not attainable anyway).. living is to be present to ..YOU, in whatever emotional state you find yourself...

It also says that when you appreciate all those uneasy feelings are also part of you, you will be able to appreciate how everything is interconnected.... it has a really poetic image about how some people see a flower and take it for granted.. and how Zen masters see a flower and not only see the flower; they also see the sun that allowed it to grow, the earth it got nutrients from, the air that gives it movement... by the same token all those feelings make us what we are, and all support life, the dance of opposites... make all of it yours..... today you are bored, maybe tomorrow you will have fun, and the day later you will be bored again. Everything is OK, according to Zen.

It also has great techniques to appreciate life more

Such as breathing

While inhaling, be aware of it : "Breathing in, I know I am breathing in"
While exhaling, be aware of it: "Breathing out, I know I am breathing out"

Repeat a few times.

NOW the trick here.. is that it is NOT like other "meditations" where you have to do it a certain way.......... here, you allow your breathe to continue as it is... you do not force anything.. if you are relaxed.. or agitated... doesn't matter.........

The magic is that after going with it a few times you will notice how you automatically relax and breathe more deeply... so in a similar token, and this has happened to me recently, is that whether I am sad or tired or resentful or angry or enthusastic or whatever, I start feeling that "automatic relaxation" within me, some kind of light that tells me it is OK to go with the flow. That I can take care of myself the best way I can and by accepting the current colors I am creating peace in my life. And in the world (it also talks about the microcosmos and the macrocosmos and how we heal the world by healing ourselves)

The path of least resistance.
I like it.

Hugs!! hope my ramblings helped. Now try the technique!! I am doing it at the moment..

BTW the book is called "YOU ARE HERE"... let me look up the author..
Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yes please LTD thank you very much.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Okay, here are couple of paragraphs from the book explaining what he means by enthusiasm (as opposed to enjoyment).

Enthusiasm means there is a deep enjoyment in what you do plus the added element of a goal or a vision that you work toward. When you add a goal to the enjoyment of what you do, the energy-field of vibrational frequency changes. A certain degree of what we might call structural tension is now added to enjoyment, and so it turns into enthusiasm. At the height of creative activity fueled by enthusiasm, there will be enormous intensity and energy behind what you do. You will feel like an arrow that is moving toward the target—and enjoying the journey.

Unlike stress, enthusiasm has a high energy frequency and so resonates with the creative power of the universe. This is why Ralph Waldo Emerson said that, “Nothing great has ever been achieved without enthusiasm.” The word enthusiasm comes from ancient Greek—en and theos, meaning God. And the related word enthousiazein means “to be possessed by a god.” With enthusiasm you will find that you don't have to do it all by yourself. In fact, there is nothing of significance that you can do by yourself. Sustained enthusiasm brings into existence a wave of creative energy, and all you have to do then is “ride the wave.”
To me, it appears he is speaking of creative inspiration. They way you feel when you enjoy what you are doing so much, you "lose yourself" in it.

L
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the responses. You have given me a lot to think about.

I'm just very worn out and worn down. I just had that flashback and the longing for an easier life, one where laughter came so easily and frequently, was so acute. Just a little room to breath. Just a little space.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
BTW the book is called "YOU ARE HERE"... let me look up the author..
I came home and discovered I have this one on my shelf!
As I just finished the book I had been working on, I will read this one next.
You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment
The author is Thich Nhat Hanh, his name comes up a lot in the forum, and I am led to believe that anything he has written will be good as long as the reader is interested in the subject. (There are millions to choose from - and that's only a "minor" exaggeration!)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I tend to catch myself having fun, not expecting it.

"Fun" is one of those kind of elusive things that the harder you try to "make" it happen, the less likely it will. As you get some distance from the insanity, you will start enjoying life again. Little by little.

When you notice you are having a happy moment, relish it, savor it. Think about what it is that you are feeling and thinking right then that makes it a happy moment. Those are the things you want to spend more time doing.

Just give it some time. It will come.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello, Thumper

I sympathize--i'm still learning how to have fun myself. One thought I have is that I need to quit thinking how i "USED" to be this fun person (the social butterfly, the go-getter, the etc etc)... because it makes me dwell on what I lost with my A in my life.

I realize that all of the years I had focusing my energy (enthusiasm) into managing the day-to-day of having the relationship, my peers have matured and grown into other people that define fun in a different way... so, it's not like I should be looking into the past as an example for what my definition of "having fun" should be.

Instead, it truly is just taking the time out for getting to know YOU again... being comfortable with YOU again... realizing that YOU have grown (A LOT) from the fun you before the A... to the fun you that is existing now. So, fun will come when you least expect it. In a lot of ways, we are all returning to the strong, fun people we once were--but now we've had the experience to give us wisdom... therefore, it's only natural that we'd have different interests now and different things that get us excited and enthusiastic about life... it's like we closed our eyes for a couple years and quit growing and then opened our eyes and it's a whole new world. we have to get used to things first before we can really be comfortable enough to "let loose" in this "new world".

This is why I'm exploring lots of new experiences as well as renewing past ones... finding new friendships and re-evaluating my old ones... I'll figure out what still gets me excited or not eventually
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Skipper

hmmmm...

I like the idea of catching yourself doing it-having fun. If you plan it, it's no fun.

One of the things that works for me is surrounding myself with people who will openly tell me positive things, like how funny I can be and how they like to be around me. I self-talk that stuff all the time, but it helps to hear it from others.

Your niece sounds like Negative Nellie to me. Make some friends who think you're fun, and you will find yourself more fun more often.

By the way, that's how I recognized there was something wrong at home. Everyone else told me I am fun, funny, smart, etc. Except my ABF.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I plan things I didn't so much mean that I plan some kind of event - I am just doing the same activities I've always done. Park, going to river/lake, planted flowers last night, going for 'nature walks', just regular stuff. I'm not holing up in the house being a hermit or anything. Regular activities with four kids almost always require some pre-planning. My days are pretty much planned from the time I get up until I go to bed and if I take a day off from the plans - I pay the price the rest of the week. Always a balancing act of what is a priority, how to rearrange etc. - which is something all parents deal with I suppose. I mostly feed people and do laundry, lol.

I have one friend - that moved recently. That is a problem I know. I'm finding it harder then expected to rectify. I don't hang out with anyone - there aren't even other adults at work.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can relate to this, big time.
Being present is definitely a struggle for me.
Worry and fret have become a "comfortable" state for me, and letting go into the moment is frightening sometimes.

I was talking to my friend about this yesterday.

I tried to describe how I was everyday, and all I could come up with was that I felt like I was waiting for something, but I dont know what that was.

When I am actively painting, or writing, or making music, I am not worried, I am present. I seem to have trouble finding that same existence inside of parenting, or getting things done, or being good to myself in other ways.

I think we really have to work hard to take our lives back from this extended trauma.
And that hard work, for me, looks like Letting Go.

What would happen if I just let go? And let fun happen to me?

BTW, just an interesting note, I KNOW that my RAH is experiencing the same thing, and so do many recovering/absatining addicts. They are faced with reality, with their own real feelings, their own real day to day choices, and it is hard for them.

I take a lot from this. I think my addiction to that chaos is what I am recovering from, and I have to apply similar startegies to day to day life. My RAH actually often says, "what do people do for fun? How do they enjoy life with so much going on all the time?" And I dutifullt preach to him that Tich Nhat Han says the joy in life is in the journey, forget about destination and get into the now...Then I secretly sit, immobilized, unable to apply the same to myself!.

It used to be a way of life. I really relate to your post! Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buffalo66 View Post
I can relate to this, big time.
Being present is definitely a struggle for me.
Worry and fret have become a "comfortable" state for me, and letting go into the moment is frightening sometimes.

I was talking to my friend about this yesterday.

I tried to describe how I was everyday, and all I could come up with was that I felt like I was waiting for something, but I dont know what that was.

When I am actively painting, or writing, or making music, I am not worried, I am present. I seem to have trouble finding that same existence inside of parenting, or getting things done, or being good to myself in other ways.

I think we really have to work hard to take our lives back from this extended trauma.
And that hard work, for me, looks like Letting Go.

What would happen if I just let go? And let fun happen to me?
Thank you!! You said so much better what I was trying to express. It helps to have the right words out there. Waiting for something....I think I might be waiting for the world (my internal world and the one around me) to unravel at any moment - even though I logically know that is no longer a risk. I'm slightly fluttery/panicky just typing this post out now with all the words to express my feelings - it lets me move forward in my thoughts. Thanks again. "What would happen if I just let go? And let fun happen to me?" Good question. It seems so innocent but, even though I feel like I've let go of so much, maybe I haven't really because I feel a bit scared thinking about that question.

What if I have let go of *one thing* *one person* to create a safe world but haven't really learned to let go at all? That isn't really letting go, that is casting out. :sigh:
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Casting out a disturbance is major! MAJOR!

We have to learn to live for ourselves and for the moment just like an addict does.

You are letting go.

Ask HP for help. Ask for signs, ask for a clearer greenlight.

I have been asking and I have been receiving.

The hardest part is opening to the signs, the insights. They are always there, never left, never stopped. Life is a waterfall, it's always flowing.

I look down at myself sometimes and see that I am dry as a bone. Because I can't remember how to just step under the waterfall.

I am asking HP for clearer signs. HP keeps saying

"Ummm, you have to look at them, and then be brave enough to get wet"

HP is very patient, but not without a sense of humor
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think for me... fun seems to go hand in hand with an attitude of gratitude. When I am open minded and optimistic, and grateful for all of my blessings... I see the happy/fun moments in even the most mundane aspects of life! A brief phone conversation with a client, a meeting with another engineer... talking to my kids teachers... small and simple conversations - that have the ability to really fuel my spirit if appreciate, even the most fleeting connections.

I have found laughter comes easy to me when my spirit is light and airy. When I'm overburden with worries/darkness, my spirit is heavy and laughter/humor escapes me. I'm a dark and miserable spirit, and... just no fun.

Live in the moment. Enjoy the beauty of the word around you. Take a minute to check out the bug on the sidewalk, the bird sitting on the tree... the smile on the person behind the counter at the bank... there is goodness all around us... if we choose to see it.