Notices

AA versus addiction therapist

Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jil

AA versus addiction therapist

Besides the obvious matter of cost, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on the matter. Now I've yet to go to a meeting, simply because the beginners meetings are held at a time where I can't make it. In a few weeks though, I will be able to attend one.

I'm not sure I'm ready to share my story with a room full of people, but still feel the need to talk to someone. So with that said, would it be best to begin with a one-on-one meeting with an addiction therapist? And if so, would it still be important to attend AA meetings? I'm simply looking for opinions.

Has anyone not attended meetings but seen a therapist and felt this was enough for recovery? Thanks!!

77 days sober!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I do not go to AA meetings and I saw an addiction therapist for several months. It was helpful, in that she was encouraging and it kept me focused on my goal, but I didn't end up staying sober. I think that it was probably a year after that when I finally stopped. However, seeing the therapist was mainly to keep my family happy, rather than something I chose for myself.

I hope you do whatever you need to in order to recover.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

First of all, you do not have to say at word at AA meetings. Many people go several times and just listen before they ever share anything. Secondly, the AA program is not meeting attendance, it is working the steps. That is done with a sponsor. The very best way to know if AA is for you is to go to several different meetings. Sometimes it takes time to find the right fit, just as it may take time to find the right counselor. AA is always available, an addictions counselor isn't. AA is free, so what do you have to lose?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most therapists specializing in addiction will probably recommend that you give AA a try. But be aware that it can take time to find the therapist that is right for you.

I did not did not get much help from 12-step programs, but they were important in providing me with a vision of what recovery could be and introducing certain principles into my schema of recovery.

However, that said it was not until I started seeing my current therapist that I had any real recovery.

But that is my experience--not yours. Why not try go to a non-beginner meeting? They are not organized like classes with prerequisites. You can attend any meetings you want. I remember I stayed away for awhile because all the meetings I could attend were described as "closed." It turns out I could have gone a lot earlier.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It comes down to what works for you in recovery. Everyone is different on how it will help to stay sober. I would say to do your research on all the programs on recovery and found which one will work for you the most. If you don't feel conformable in a room of people talking about your problems then don't do it. More so if it will get you to use more.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BHF

Jil, congrats on your 77 days. I would recommend that you try AA to see if its for you. You don't have to wait for a beginners meeting unless you want to. As stated, you don't have to speak at the AA meeting. Many times, I just go to listen to others with similar issues and be around people. They may ask you to introduce yourself, but you aren't obligated to share any of your experiences until you want to.

I tried AA first because I was orderd to by court. I later went to a psychiatrist because I was instructed to for work. Neither worked because I wasn't relly wanting to quit. Now, I attend AA because I want to. I'm no longer trying to quit drinking...I am trying to ensure that I don't start drinking again. It's not specifically about not drinking for me today. It's about living life in a manner that I'm satisfied and somewhat happy. When I'm able to do this, I don't have to worry about trying to alter the way I feel with alcohol or drugs...then I don't have to worry about all of the problems and consequences that came along with doing so.

Don't get me wrong, AA did NOT appeal to me from the beginning. I had to lose alot to finally realize that the alcohol wasn't my primary problem. AA is not for everyone, but don't be scared to give it a try.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a proponent of both. Having grown up in an alcoholic family, I lived and learned inappropriate life-skills and a negative belief system that definately had ramifications for me. Having become an alcoholic myself, I then had my own issues of shame, remorse, co-dependence, etc to deal with; fueled by my own substance abuse.

AA gave me immediate tools to work with to stop the insanity, and steps to follow to achieve sobriety. It helped me to become more spiritual and less isolated. The therapy helped me deal with the deep-rooted belief system I developed for myself. My early belief system turned out to be a boatload of lies.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I go to meetings sometimes, but Suki is right: AA's program is in working the steps, not attending meetings.

I've been seeing an addiction counselor for three years now and find her very helpful. In my early days she tried to get me to 'see the light', now that I'm sober over a year she's cheering me on in my sober journey and giving me a lot of insight and new perspectives on dealing with other problems in my life.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried both. My counselor was great, and helped me find meetings. But honestly, i get more from AA than from therapy.

However, be aware that just going to meetings is not going to keep you sober.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there. I went to my first AA meeting Friday and then I went to another one today. I didn't know there was any such thing as a "beginners meeting." I'm glad because I didn't want anything to stop me. When I walked in I was sweating and had tears in my eyes. Everyone was great. They asked me my name and if it was my first meeting. Like they didn't already know! LOL Anyway that was it. Since I was there they decided to all share their stories with me and told me to just go to as many meetings as I can and listen for the first 90 days. They said that there are NO expectations for me to share anything that I don't want to. The group aspect of recovery is important to me in that I hear all these people went through and relate it to myself. It's making me have hope and realize that there is a better way. I NEVER thought I would be typing this especially in only two days of not drinking. Who knows what will happen but I've promised myself and my hubby that I will go every day if it means I don't die. Best wishes to you!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not sure if you can say I've fully recovered since I'm only on about 4.5 months, but I went to a psychologist and didn't do AA. The psychologist was helpful mainly because the drinking was a symptom of a bigger problem. Of course the drinking itself was a big problem but there were other issues I needed to work on. I tried quitting several times prior to seeing the therapist though and the therapist got me to finally quit and gave me a lot of good tips on how to make my own program, stay sober, etc.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
The group aspect of recovery is important to me in that I hear all these people went through and relate it to myself. It's making me have hope and realize that there is a better way.
Congratulations in taking your steps into recovery! As you listen at the meetings, don't just listen to what they went through. You have been there. Listen for their solution, how they got better. Hopefully, since you have heard their stories, they will stop relating those, and help you find the solution.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Most therapists specializing in addiction will probably recommend that you give AA a try. But be aware that it can take time to find the therapist that is right for you.
Why not try both, at least for the first few months? AA is not likely to cost you more than $30 a month.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There are people who do both meetings and have some counseling. I attended counseling because I was also diagnosed with depression and anxiety issues, and I realized that area is kind of outside the realm of AA, AA is great but some things of that nature are best handled by a trained professional. That counselor also referred me to an addiction counselor. He was entirely CBT, tolerant of AA but not of the same philosophy, he never talked about anything spiritual, however I do have my own private beliefs.

It's interesting what Anna wrote, I had similar experience when I first went to see him, I went along to please my family, I tried to say what I felt I had to to please him as well. But the whole thing didn't seem very effective the first time as my heart wasn't really in it, and I gradually stopped going.

Fairly predictably, a few months later I crashed, and agreed to give it another try. This time I was more serious in my attitude and obtained more from it.

As others have said, you don't have to share straight away at meetings, only when you feel ready. If you're asked if you'd like to share, it's perfectly acceptable to just say 'no thanks, i'd just like to listen'.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My sister has an Addictions Counsellor, AND goes to meetings.

Hope this helps.

Kelly
Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I needed to go one step further...a MFT or therapist. I wanted to have someone that had to abide through set of strict relegation's so as my stuff didn't get re-told in meeting. once doing that I felt safe to open-up and and get a lot of stuff of my chest. It was very therapeutic to do so and I gained a lot of insight on why I drugged so much.

Sure everybody is different, but for me I needed that that confidentiality. Working with lay people is great, thats why I have lots of friends in AA. They help me keep from "picking up that first drink". I most important message I have ever received in AA.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My addiction counselor insists that I go to at least 2 AA meetings a week.
I'm also a Canadian and our medical covers the cost of the counselor.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've done counseling and AA. AA is where I found sobriety. I think a lot of us drink to 'medicate' other issues which is where the counseling is so helpful, but once alcohol takes over our lives, I truly believe working the steps is our salvation.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

As you've seen, we all recover in different ways. There is no "right" answer about going to AA. There is also no reason to limit your choice of recovery support groups to AA, as there are several others, such as SMART Recovery (which has both online and face to face meetings), LifeRing, SOS, and Women for Sobriety. All of these are abstinence-based groups.

Personally I attended AA for a time at the start of my recovery but ultimately found my therapist far more helpful. The AA philosophy did not resonate with me at all. If I had it to do over again, I would still attend a support group but it would be SMART Recovery.

OTT
Old 05-15-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Since I am only in my first 3 days of being sober the solutions have been good from the AA Peeps: bought the big book, admitted I'm powerless over this liquid beast, got lots of hugs, hubby is going to meetings, had an honest covo with hubby, joined this site, etc.

For years I went to therapists, didn't do me much good but that's just me. We are all different. I guess it just depends on YOU.

Most likely I'll go to another meeting tonight. I know that for me the first few weeks I will have to go as much as possible as this is life or death at this point. Scary thought that is.