Notices

Found Serenity

Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found Serenity

Hello everyone, I just wanted to give an update on how things have been for me, I read here every single day and I couldn’t do this without you all.

It’s been 82 days now without a drop of alcohol, most of these days have been pretty good, and there have been the ups and downs, but when things are good there really good, and I am closer to surpassing my all-time sober days of 86, after that the sky’s the limit…
My relationship with my wife and kids are getting so much better, spending time with them is now the highlight of my day.

Recently while pumping gas on my 80th day found a coin laying right there on the ground, this coin on one side said “Keep it Simple”, on the other side was the serenity prayer “God grant me…”, what’s really strange about this is that I have been struggling with the higher power thing, Keep in mind I do not currently go to AA meetings but am interested in them.
I have also been struggling with stress at work, I run a small company that has gotten busier than I can keep up with, I feel guilty when I take time for myself and feel I have to take care of every call that comes in… the booze really helped in that area but blinded me to ‘Life’ as it passed by.

Ok, now Wednesday the 11th I just said eff-it, not to drink but to go fishing instead of working that day, I said a prayer before I left just asking if there is a higher power to please help me.

I was off to Lake Oconee in Georgia if anyone is familiar and had to stop for fuel, as I was pumping gas I found the coin I mentioned above, now I have been to church, my wife goes every Sunday but I have lost touch, this ‘coin’ really made me think about my work and not over doing it as well as God, the right gas station, the right pump and looking down at the right time on a day I should have been far from there working elsewhere, the coin didn’t have a scratch on it, and to top it off I am pretty sure this is a 12 step coin because I bought myself one similar on my 60th day “Practice these Principles” that’s exact in size and color.

Stop and smell the roses, yea!

I once believed I was a hopeless alcoholic, it was true as long as I believed that, I believe something different now…

Things are definitely getting better, I wish the best to everyone, thanks for reading.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And the sun pours thru upon my day!! Thanks for writing this SB! Much appreciated!
..Mike
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Happy for you, SB. Thanks for such an uplifting start to my day.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the uplifting post! That's pretty cool that you found an AA coin. You said you are interested in AA...come join us, we aren't that bad.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's those little unexplainable things that happen
in our lives to want to believe that there is Something
greater than I guiding, loving, caring and carrying me
along the way in my recovery journey.

The most awesome things happen to me for a reason
and that's enough to allow me to believe in my Higher Power.

Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hopes with me.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe that coin is from your higher power giving you a message . . .
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are no coincidences in life and that message was meant for you to help you.

Good for you for your 80 days sober, and I know, for me, balance is crucial to my well-being.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

I believe one of the admins here said something to me when I had a similar experience ....

"God shots"

For me , it was 2 months back into AA and going to a meeting I didn't enjoy much. I kept thinking about a guy that chaired a the first ( and only ) meetings I used to go to when I was sober but hadn't seen in years. Didn't even know if he was still in the valley. I needed a sponsor and thought he would be a great guy to have.

Low and behold .... I just happen to run into him at a Chinese buffet one day.... That night I went to his home group and asked him. Today he's my sponsor and it's my favorite group of the week as it's one of those that don't feel like and hour passing at all.

Also , reading your post.... It looks like perhaps you are on the verge of step 2/3

Things happen for a reason friend !!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, i just got in and read all the responces, all are so true! thank you.

I am looking at life differently, I try to think before i allow my emotions to take over, like today, its Friday, i had been working in the dirt all day and was a mess, i stopped at a station to wash my hands and the bathroom was locked so i waited, i was standing right in the beer isle, 30 packs everywhere, i turned around to get my eyes off and more beer and wine it was all over the place, i just left, the ride home had my mind thinking of the beer but i got through it.

Because of those feeling being stired I know its still to soon to be around others that drink but honestly i dont want to be around them, 82 days feels like a long time but i try to remember its just the beginning of something better, no pun intended.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Do you carry that coin with you ?

I keep my White chip in my pocket no matter where I go. It's my reminder every time I reach into my pocket. In stressful moments I'll find myself rubbing my thumb over those cold emblazoned letters.

BTW I found my 2 month chip from back in the day and it is gold with the the serenity prayer on the back. I think it had a pyramid on the front but can't remember the inscription.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your progress SB - and yeah, I don't believe things like that are coincidence either

D
Old 05-13-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe in these things and have had a few amazing coincidences in my life. But I have to say, there is an instant, just after I have awakened sober, when my heart just flips for joy. I feel sober chills right now just thinking about it. That is like a manifestation of higher power. "You did it, you woke up sober and your reward is this instant of transcendence." But I have to earn it. I have to earn it in the easiest way possible. Was it Cooter's rule 6: Stay out of the liquore store.