Notices

I'm sure this question must have been posted before

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Day 10

I'm sure this question must have been posted before

Hi Everyone

Im sure this is something that has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone who had previously frequently passed up meals for something in a glass experienced any weight loss despite eating more frequently after quitting.

Don't get me wrong, my primary concern right now is quitting, but if weight loss is something I can expect then it's just another push for me :-)

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me personally, I drop weight very easily when I am not drinking. It is very hard to lose pounds when I am drinking. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have lost about 6 or maybe seven kilos . Alcohol is useless calories. The body just converts them into fat stores.

Most of it is deposited in a place underneath the abdominal muscles. A thing called the greater omentum. Manifest,, the hard beer gut.

Yes I gave up food for alcohol all the time.

And I mean , all the time.

Eating very little and putting weight on .

Regards

L

Last edited by Lipitor; 05-11-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: another spelling error lol
Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, One of the many benefits of stopping drinking was weight loss, around 35 pounds in 4 months, kept eating a lot more. Dr suggested I increase my intake even further. I feel wonderful in all areas emotionally and physically!! it is exciting to see how quick the weight (most in the first 2 months) comes off from not drinking as Lipitor said useless Calories. I know everyone is different though
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Day 10

That's great news on all counts! I have been drinking heavily daily since I was about 18. I am sitting at 84 kilos and have never been able to get lower that that which I account to my alcohol intake. So fingers crossed. I would absolutely LOVE to lose weight but dieting while trying to give up the sauce is just too much right now, so if it starts to come off on its own (in a sense) then that is so so great! It's something to look forward to :-)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ring is right. And I could probably guess from my limited experience that everyone feels better.

I already feel much better. I can put my socks on without sounding like a barking steam train HUUUUUUUUUUUUGH .

Ive just got a bit inspired and looked up some more information.

Alcohol plus the sugar it contains , so im reading ,when ingested , if not needed by the body ,is converted to fat and depletes the body of many essential vitamins and get this ..Vitamin B1 predominantly responsible for good brain function. No wonder I could not think straight.

Regards

L

Last edited by Lipitor; 05-11-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: bloody spelling ..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol is empty calories...so even if it fills you up, it provides nothing good to your body (or mind!). In fact it saps energy...so when drinking you will exercise less and sit more (and I say this as an athletic alcoholic for many years...I can't even imagine what I could have done had I not drunk after training most days...oh, maybe run faster!) The weight loss is not always immediate (and a I have seen a lot of people get very frustrated on here about that) but you are way more likely to see your abs (remember them?) sober than drunk. So be patient...and enjoy your body being healthy. Be proud of sober. Your body loves you for it.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I wouldnt eat all day sometimes, and then just pig out after a night of drinking - then pass out. Bad stuff! Not only was I basicly starving myself in the day because I didnt want food to get in the way of my high, but then I would eat at night before bed! This was extemely unhealthy in all aspects.

I can tell Ive lost some weight over the past few weeks. Feels great! As for how much - I have no clue. No scale. But just look at it this way

1. Your no longer intaking those useless cal's as Lip up there said. (Whats up Lip )
2. You of course will have more energy being sober, thus making you more active - this burns cals too.
3. Your eating normal, so your body will get out of stravation mode and that alone will increase your metabolisum.
4. And if you were like me, those late night pig out sessions are gone, and that is a huge decreasement in bad food intake.

Just all around your body is getting healthier! While you wont wake up miraculously trimmed down, you will lose weight. You may not notice it, but Im sure it's happening.

-Ryan
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lipitor View Post
Ring is right. And I could probably guess from my

I already feel much better. I can put my socks on without sounding like a barking steam train HUUUUUUUUUUUUGH .

L
HAHAHAHA I know the feeling

-Ryan
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Day 10

I do feel more energetic and my mood is better! ask my kids lol. My youngest and I are sitting here playing bejeweled and making some ridiculous noises (I check back here when she nips off to do something :-)). I feel great!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with Ryan, I am defiantly eating more now that i have stopped drinking, however i am eating better food and way more active. My energy level has gone way up so instead of sitting around at night i will go out for a long walk. Great way to clear my mind.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread Laura I was thinking of doing one similar myself.

Ryan I did all that - not wanting to eat until I had done drinking then eating at ridiculously late/early hours and eating rubbish at that.

Ive had a bit of weight gain so far which is worrying me as Im already very overweight due to the drinking but its early days and my appetite does seem to be calming down a bit now. I have been constantly hungry and giving in to it rather than risking a craving.

Im sure the weight will drop off all us newcomers who need to lose it - eventually. I realise for some its the opposite - I used to think I cant be an alcoholic cos im not thin - I thought all of us were!

PS x
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's been 16 months of sobriety for me, while the weight loss isn't significant I feel so good on the inside and my skin and body feels great! try not making weight loss a big deal, just go with the flow and enjoy the sober you!! I find if you focus on loosing weight, because it changes so much, it can lead to disappoint, which in turn can cause a relapse... CELEBRATE beautiful YOU!!! just the way you are!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I gained 10lbs right away for some reason (probably because I was eating again), then lost 20lbs in my first 3 months sober.

Zube
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Heathen

I gained a little because I was pretty much starving myself while I was a drunk.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I haven't lost much yet. I was in rehab for 6 weeks and the food there was free and flowing, and I developed a love for peanut butter cookies.

BUT, I worked out every day, and I look like i've lost weight, and I can tell i've lost inches.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Boo Hoo - I'm just gaining pounds.

But I know that's because I'm substituting with ice cream and chocolate.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I gained back the ten pounds I had lost while drinking, which was a really good thing. By then, my routine had kicked in and it was all good.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Laurie-

Not only did I lose weight from not drinking the beer, but I also lost weight b/c all my choices in life got better.

I ate better (no more eating two dinners - one at 6pm and then another sometime later on in the night )
I ran and this time I kept with it.
I now lift weights and I've kept this up for almost 2 years now.

Focus on your sobriety and everything else will fall into place.

Kjell~
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by AllLiesAndJest View Post
Boo Hoo - I'm just gaining pounds.

But I know that's because I'm substituting with ice cream and chocolate.
Hey, nothing wrong with that.

Focus on your sobriety and when the time is right, you'll make choices that make you happy.

I eat ice cream almost nightly - just the right portions though

Kjell~