Revia/Celexa/Abilify Cocktail?!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Revia/Celexa/Abilify Cocktail?!

Does anyone know anything about these medications? The first is designed to suppress opiate receptors without being physically addictive. The others are antidepressants. My boyfriend's psychologist just put him on all three of these, and frankly he has been wandering around like a zombie. He hasn't done opiates, and it is helping him with his cravings, but he isn't even present most of the time when he is on all of these meds. I know that this is between him and his psychologist, but what is the sense of setting him up to become mentally dependent on all of these prescriptions? And why are they numbing his mind and spirit to the point that he seems to be in another realm of existence entirely after he takes them? Something is not right with what is going on, and I can't even wrap my head around it. I know I need to focus on myself, but I will not ignore the way he is responding on a spiritual level to the medications he has been medically prescribed. He was having a tough enough time dealing with the cravings, but at least he was HIMSELF.

I am posting this in the substance abuse forum as well, as it seems to get more hits.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I know nothing of those medications, but if they are prescribed and he is taking them as prescribed by his doctor, then I think I would trust that and give him a chance to adjust to new medications. Many people, addict and non-addict both, have to adjust when medications are changed or added, but in the end, they do what they were prescribed to do.

Are you sure you want his old "self" back? If he self-medicated on illegal substances, you may not have seen the real "self' yet.

Again, maybe give this some time and meanwhile keep yourself busy doing good things for you.

Hugs
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann...Hope you have a great Mother's Day!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Revia used to be used to curb alcohol cravings, so maybe its now for all drug cravings? Celexa is an antidepressant, Abilify is a mood stabilizer and is often used in conjunction with antidepressants to boost their effectiveness. The "Zombie" reactions seems odd, he should talk to his doctor, if this is all he's taking...
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My RAD took Revia at one time, and it also helps boost beta endorphins. She also took abilify and ended that after one week because of the zombie effect. She's not bipolar or schizophrenic so it didn't help her at all; those symptoms were from the opiate addiction.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chino, which symptoms did you mean were from the opiate addiction--the depression or the "zombie syndrome"?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Google abilify and you'll see what it treats. My daughter had bipolar symptoms, but they were from the addiction. That is why abilify didn't work for her after she was clean, and then turned her into a zombie.

If BF doesn't like what the drugs are doing to him, he'll say something to his doctor.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I currently take 10 mg (very small dose) of Celexa a day to treat depression. When 1st prescribed it, I took it in the morning, but it did make me a little sleepy. Now I take it when I get home from work. It has had no other side effects for me.

Side Note: I have "forgotten" to take them for a couple days and I do experience slight withdrawal syptoms of "brain zaps". Guess I'll have to taper off when I decide not to take them.