I'm tired of challenges during college...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm tired of challenges during college...

Okay, so I've had this problem off and on where my left upper jaw/teeth get really sensitive and hurt. It's always resolved when I take naproxen.

It flared up again Friday, and by Sunday I looked like a lopsided Alvin the chipmunk.

I got started on antibiotics, which ended up giving me not the Mongolian trots, but the Mongolian sprints to the bathroom!

I saw the dentist this morning, and I have a broken molar on the top left side. It's split right down the middle.

The infection is so bad right now that he said pulling it today was not an option. I've got to get the new antibiotics to get that infection down a bit, and I get it pulled next Wednesday.

I did contact all my college instructors because I have been in so much pain that I can't even concentrate, and have heard from all but one so far, giving me a grace period to catch up, thank God.

I can't take percocet, valium, darvon, any of the narcotics for the pain since I am a recovering addict.

I've got my tramadol that I use sporadically for my back pain, so I'm using that to hopefully ease the pain a bit today.

Nothing like challenges up to the last two weeks of college! Geesh!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am happy that you know what the problem is.

I am happy that you have the possibility of funding to pay your dentist, due to your new status with disability!

I'm happy that you have a bunch of understanding college profs.

I am happy that your college career is almost done, and then you can't have these obstacles in the way of your college goals!

Sorry about the pain, though. Not to make light of that.

CLMI
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I got sick this semester, too.

I also was on dang near chemotherapy strong antibiotics
and when I emailed my teachers
er... professors
(they all knew I was sick for some time before hand)

I told them I'd been to the doctor
I explained that the restroom is just too far away from the classroom for the to risk attending.
I told them how long the medicine was going to be taking...
and they were amazing!
(the profesors...notthe drugs lol)
I asked what can I do to keep up...
And I mailed them several times while I was out
updating them and asking again what I needed to read
while at home,
was there videos I could check out, etc...
that would help comprehend the subject.

and you'd be AMAZED the help I received from these people.

But it was stressful all the same.
I waited 35 years to be in college
the last thing I wanted was to be sick.

the thing I learned was -

I am no longer a 22 year old
shacked up drunk someplace
with the head of the bike club
er.
any more.
I am a grownup.
When I tell them I am sick...
they believe me.

this is not high school.
there's no parent to appear with a beating
if I don't make a 'good' grade.

this is not a job.
the professor isn't setting
secret minefield obstacles
in order to trick me into failing.

this ... is college.
These men and women
are professionals
who truly want
to see someone like me succeed.

I hope that helps you relax -
it's coming up FINALS week I know -
that's enough to take on for now.

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, ladies!

Barb, would you believe I have no finals except to watch Schindler's List for my Death & Dying class, and answer a bunch of questions? And for my ethics class, I have a final journal entry to write and discuss what I have learned, and what changes I have made, if any, in my life due to the class. Now isn't that a blessing?!

I too have been blessed with instructors who've been willing to work with me, and as you say, they want to see us succeed! Gads the health issues I've had over the past two years is unbelievable! I started off my first semester not even two weeks post-op from a ventral hernia repair that ended up being more extensive than the surgeon estimated. I was wearing a binder, and taking lots of breaks from my computer to rest!

I think the tramadol helped, and I'm going to get cracking on my past due assignments in Death & Dying today.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I feel ya, Dev. I had to have surgery last semester and transitioned to an insulin pump, too! Kinda ups the "level of difficulty", doesn't it? And yeah, I clench my teeth at night from the stress and have cracked one of my back teeth clean up the middle....

Hang in there!!!! There is light at the end of this tunnel...... :ghug3
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Come on my friend! You can do this!!
I have not seen or heard of an education being this hard fought as yours, although there is some stiff competition on this forum, I'd say. You are all just astounding to me!!!

You can persevere through this and when is it all said and done you will look back and realize just how triumphant you are.

The support you've received from school is well-earned and deserved. I hope you hear from the last of your professors asap.

I think a toothache is a kind of pain that could take down the toughest of us all. Sucks to the 100th degree!

I will be praying for no more hurdles in your way so you can Get Graduated Already!!

I wish I could send you a Popsicle to freeze that tooth up, but it would definitely melt in the mail.

Hugs,
Alice
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aww Freedom, what a tough semester to go through!

I feel you on having chronic pain; I have had the WORST migraines in my life since my period returned postpartum...and I work in front of a computer everyday! I'm on Naproxen too (and Frova, and Maxalt, and Relpax, muscle relaxants, and chinese herbal teas, and whatever works to deal with these debilitating migraines!). It's made doing my grad degree + working FT + raising a toddler kind of challenging

But we can do it! It'll be ever more satisfying when we finish!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh do I feel your pain. Matter of fact, just saw my oral surgeon yesterday for a follow up. My bone graft is about 2 months ahead of schedule and I'll have an implant in two months. It was the same thing for me -- a cracked tooth and, adding insult to injury, a cavity on the underside. The abscess alternated between annoying and painful when it throbbed, and I had to do two rounds of antibiotics because I ignored it after the first round.

I took half doses of narcotics the first couple of days along with Voltaren. Between all three meds my stomach was a disaster and honestly, it was making me crazy as in chemically unbalanced. I suddenly had a deeper respect for people with BPD.

But I sure as hell wasn't dealing with it and college, too!!!

Yep, you still amaze me
Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

OUCH! So sorry to hear this is happening, especially at this point, so close to the end of the semester!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hope you feel better!! Your class on Death and Dying sounds very interesting!

You WILL make it.. you are Freedom1990...