Notices

7th Tradition Money Stolen!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

7th Tradition Money Stolen!

Well I saw a new low at a meeting. A middle aged man stole a few bucks out of the basket when it came around to him! Nobody said anything and he exited in the middle of the meeting. I was going to chase him outside but the lady next to me said not to. I don't understand why someone would sink that low. It is very disrespectful towards AA and I hope he is banned from the clubhouse now. A few members said to forget about it and I became very angry. I'm not sure what the right thing to do here is??
Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"A few members said forget about it"
There you go.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Stealing is not nice, Ive had it happen to me. The man was obviously very desperate to do that in front of everyone. I would just like to pray that this man finds himself one day.
JJ
Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We surround ourselves with sick drunks, this stuff will happen from time to time.

Get over it, it doesn't affect you at all. Treat him as you would any sick individual and pray for god to do what (s)he will in this man's life.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pray for him. He obviously needed the money.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also, sink that low? Who are you to judge his actions? Might wanna go back and revist the work and look at the ego that allows you to do that.... something about justified anger being a luxury of the normal man springs to mind....
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't find this judging, you didn't call him a name, you are venting, which is perfectly acceptable
Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

when i was active i did some things that were a lot more deplorable than stealing a few bucks from the basket at an aa meeting...
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ah, the AA ban. One of the reasons I'll never be in a group under a club. Yep let's ban the thieves, beggars, tramps, asylum inmates, prisoners, queers, plain crackpots and fallen women. We must keep keep AA a group of pure and respectable alcoholics lest the ne'r do wells destroy us all. Self righteous indignation comes to mind. Stick around and you'll see more than just a few bucks from the basket go missing from an AA meeting. We've had literature stolen. The PA system was stolen a few years back around Christmas time. I've always said that if it isn't nailed down it will disappear. Then our safe that is bolted to the concrete floor was broken into. They had to put a lot of effort into that. Thankfully the treasurer had emptied it earlier in the day. So they only got one meeting's take which was probably around $100. Of course the safe was destroyed and it cost us around $600 to replace it. Guess what. Our group continues to grow and thrive in spite of it all. As others have said, get over it. It is what it is. Consider this...God has a bottom in mind for this gentleman. Who are you to intervene? Something you may want to consider the next time you see a wet drunk in a meeting, and you want to cast judgment on them too. Seems like that was a topic not too long ago.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've heard that in the "old days" when the hat (the literal hat) was passed, it was announced, "If you have a little, please put it in. If you need a little, please take it out."

Yup, we're still here.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I make a point of closeing my eyes when the basket is passed.
Just....that is what I suggest you do too,,,
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love that idea CarolD.

I've seen people take money from the basket but always took the lead of the old timers. They never said a word. I figured they knew something I just didn't know yet.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP44 View Post
Ah, the AA ban. One of the reasons I'll never be in a group under a club. Yep let's ban the thieves, beggars, tramps, asylum inmates, prisoners, queers, plain crackpots and fallen women. We must keep keep AA a group of pure and respectable alcoholics lest the ne'r do wells destroy us all. Self righteous indignation comes to mind.
The third tradition springs to mind. . .
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As so many ppl say not to judge, we seem to be judging just, I feel it is ok for just to vent, just as ppl vent about thier alcoholic boyfriends/husbands/girlfiends or exes. Do we even know if this person was an alcoholic? Many ppl have issues with ppl in their lives on here and we only hear one side but be that in mind we still listen to what bothers them. Whether you believe how just feels is right or wrong, just listen and don't pass judgement yourself. I'm sure the man really needed the money but that still does not make it ok, would you feel the same way if he came in your home?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stacylove View Post
I feel it is ok for just to vent, just as ppl vent about thier alcoholic boyfriends/husbands/girlfiends or exes.
2nd post on this thread that mentions venting. You may feel OK about that, and it may even be OK for you to feel that way, but it's not what AA is about. Venting is not how we recover, and AA is not about a place we go to vent about all the things that ticked us off that day.

This is the 12 Step forum, and we don't help anyone by giving the impression that 'venting' is the appropriate use of it. Instead, we can do more good (as many have done) by pointing out the ego driven self will of this resentment, and directing Just to put the guy's name in the 1st column so they can see the truth about that ego.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Before going to AA this sort of thing would have pi$$ed me off. Oh man...I wouldve made a huge deal out of it. Punishable by death! Since going to AA i realize that there are far far far more important things (spiritual) that i need to think about. That couple of dollars could have been a drop a gas to get home from the meeting or a meal. im glad he was there to take it.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Thanx for this question Justfor1.

My approach to the seventh tradition on a day to day basis is pretty much as Carol mentioned... while I may not close my eyes, my eyes don't follow the basket around either... I don't want to know whether someone put a dollar in, or took one out... It clouds my consciousness and may effect my experience with whatever it is I need to hear that day, spiritually ... and from whom that message may come. I know this to be true because that is my own experience, and though it is not exactly like your own, it is close...

You are not the only one to deal with seventh tradition issues, nor will you be the last. Inventory is a very useful method and one I had to employ myself. It works, LOL.

Mark

BTW... I have forgotten to carry cash on a couple of occasions and had to pass the basket without contributing... anyone ever had that happen to them? Once a friend I made in the rooms forgot his dollar and I was gonna put it in to cover him, he asked that I not...
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I've heard that in the "old days" when the hat (the literal hat) was passed, it was announced, "If you have a little, please put it in. If you need a little, please take it out."

Yup, we're still here.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
This was my expereince as well sugah...if you can put in, if you need take a couple. Somewhere that changed to "group concious" decisions on telling people in meetings they need to put 2 dollars in cause we need it....HUGE shift of thinking

I not only ignore the basket and donations, I in fact put my money in once a month and try to do it so no one sees I did it....OK...thats probably a bit of a test on my part, and therefore maybe not good...but I don't believe AA membership and acceptance should be about how much money or perhaps no money you put in the basket...It was my "reaction" to the group requeesting 2$ be put in. That resentment probably belongs on an inventory now that I've seen it LOL
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

IMO the 7th tradition is serious stuff. I admit I watch the basket go around and see who puts in the buck or two and who doesn't. How much did a 6 pack cost or the bar tab when we were drinking? It amazes me that we are suppose to let things go at a meeting that we wouldn't let go in the "real" world. I will confront this guy if I see him again at the clubhouse. I take offense to the fact that he thought a room full of drunks were stupid and wouldn't notice.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Once I put my money in....it's to be used for Gods work.