Notices

first aa meeting

Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first aa meeting

I went to my first meeting last night. It was a little weird... which is to be expected. It was good to see other people who have been in my same situation... I guess I'm just wondering what people really get out of aa meetings. I am wondering if listening to more sad stories about people's drinking problems is just going to make me sad? I dunno. I know that I cannot judge after only one meeting. I am planning to go to atleast 2 more this week... if not more. And I will go back to the one that I went to the other night too.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The meetings themselves aren't what keeps you sober. Honestly working the steps is. I hope you will continue to go to AA, listen to what they say, and find someone there who has what you want. You can ask that person to be your sponsor and help guide you through the steps. Just like anything else, you will get out of AA what you are willing to put into it. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am wondering if listening to more sad stories about people's drinking problems is just going to make me sad?
Sorry this was your first experience with AA. For some unknown reason some groups choose to remain in the problem and dwell on their misery but that's not the way it was meant to be. Hopefully you'll find a group that focuses on the solution.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you will continue to go...there is so much to absorb.

. I thought of AA meetings as classrooms
for living sober ..the more I went ..the quicker I learned.

Yes...some members do share sad stories but many others
will share their hope and how they have recovered.

Forward we go..side by side
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Every meeting is different. Each group chooses the format for their meetings. Some have Speaker's Meetings some nights, Open Discussion other nights, and I've been to meetings where people write down the issue they want to discuss on a piece of paper,the discussion leader mixes the papers up and draws one, and that person shares their issue for a few minutes. Some meetings are Big Book or 12 & 12 study.

Some meetings are filled with older folks, other meetings (usually late night) draw a younger crowd. The key is to find a meeting where you feel comfortable, where you like the energy in the room and feel safe, and where you see people who have what you want. I was attracted to the meetings I went to my first few months in recovery because of the people that were in the meetings. If I knew that there was a guy who looked like he had the type of recovery I wanted and he attended 4pm meetings, I was showing up at those meetings. If I wanted to be around lots of young folks around my age who likely shared many of my experiences, I went to the 10pm and 11pm meetings.

The right one for you is out there. Luckily in Atlanta, we have tons of meetings to choose from. I think there's something like 1600 in the Atlanta area every week. Chances are a couple of those meetings will be appealing to you.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Snarf nailed it. I know a couple of real good meetings in Cobb county. I know Atlanta is a big place, but if that is the area you are in PM me and I'll get you set up.

Keep trying.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You need to go to several meetings of different groups to find one's you are comfortable at. I try to avoid meetings that focus on drinking stories (and I've been to meetings where it seems like one drink is trying to top another). I like to go to meetings that focus on solutions.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's no harm in seeing AA as not suitable for you, most people who go to it leave soon after, and they are as likely to get off drink than the people who stay. AA doesn't suit most people. Do what you think is best for you, not what other people tell you is best.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

With all due respect, one meeting isn't a good basis for making a decision that AA is not right for you. It could turn out after several meetings that is isn't right for you, but it deserves a fair chance before that determination is made.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe, but sometimes a first impression is the right impression.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

And sometimes, it isn't.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steppingout View Post
There's no harm in seeing AA as not suitable for you, most people who go to it leave soon after, and they are as likely to get off drink than the people who stay. AA doesn't suit most people. Do what you think is best for you, not what other people tell you is best.
Wow. one meeting and you would suggest, as a non-member, that it is not right for this person? That is not very helpful. Most people who leave are as likely to not drink as those who stay? Says who and based on what?

Perhaps actually listening to people who are sober and have stayed sober, through AA or otherwise is actually a good idea.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I try to avoid meetings that focus on drinking stories (and I've been to meetings where it seems like one drink is trying to top another).
LOL - SO TRUE !!!

"Share" #1:
"So there I was last night, going down the highway, drunk as a skunk, and I got a DUI..."
"Share" #2:
"You got a DUI? I got three in the past three years..."
"Share" #4:
"You only got one DUI a year? I got three in one year..."
"Share" #5:
"I'm going to jail next week - too many DUIs..."
Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A lot of people on here will simply say "go to more meetings" - I will not say that.

I will say, though, that many of the words tossed around in the rooms of AA are not immediately intuitive unless you are accustomed to walking into a different culture. If you want to know what people are talking about, without getting a headache, you may want to read an "AA Glossary" such as this one before your next meeting:

AA Glossary

I would also recommend, if you are really interested in knowing what AA is about, reading the main text, "Alcoholics Anonymous," which is available online here:

Big Book Online Fourth Edition

You may also want to read a secondary text, the "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions," which is available online here:

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
Old 04-10-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, I am definitely going to keep going to aa meetings. And I am glad to know that different groups and meetings are different from each other.... In that case I know I will be able to find one I like. I know I need to socialize with people who are completely sober, like I need and want to be.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot of good things about a Sat. morning Big Book
Study group at 8111 ...call AA Atlanta Central office

404-525-3178 for the exact time and directions.

AA is an awesome adventure ...enjoy...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're continuing to seek support in your recovery.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettingStronger2 View Post

Originally Posted by Steppingout View Post
Wow. one meeting and you would suggest, as a non-member, that it is not right for this person? That is not very helpful. Most people who leave are as likely to not drink as those who stay? Says who and based on what?

Perhaps actually listening to people who are sober and have stayed sober, through AA or otherwise is actually a good idea.
George E. Vaillant stated in and interview with the AA Grapevine Magazine that 40% of all recovery has probably occurred through AA.

He joined AA's General Service Board as a Class A (nonalcoholic) trustee in 1998. He is professor of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, director of the Study of Adult Development, Harvard University Health Services, and director of research in the Division of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women's Hospital. The author of The Natural History of Alcoholism Revisited, a comprehensive study of alcoholism, he lectures widely on alcoholism and addiction and is one of the foremost researchers in the field.

George Valiant: ...They [doctors] don't understand that 40 percent of all recovery has probably occurred through Alcoholics Anonymous...

Grapevine: You said about 40 percent of the people who remain abstinent do it through AA. What about the other 60 percent? Could we in AA be more open, more supportive of these?

George Vaillant: Yes. You know, if you're batting 400, it's all right to miss a few. I think the fact that AA knows the answer to an extremely complicated problem is probably all right.

But it doesn't hurt at the level of GSO for AA to have humility and understand that 60 percent do it without AA...
The full interview, which was published in the AA Grapevine on May, 2001 (Vol. 57, No. 12), is available here:

Interview: A Doctor Speaks
Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
George E. Vaillant stated in and interview with the AA Grapevine Magazine that 40% of all recovery has probably occurred through AA.

He joined AA's General Service Board as a Class A (nonalcoholic) trustee in 1998. He is professor of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, director of the Study of Adult Development, Harvard University Health Services, and director of research in the Division of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women's Hospital. The author of The Natural History of Alcoholism Revisited, a comprehensive study of alcoholism, he lectures widely on alcoholism and addiction and is one of the foremost researchers in the field.

The full interview, which was published in the AA Grapevine on May, 2001 (Vol. 57, No. 12), is available here:

Interview: A Doctor Speaks
While I appreciate this, John, not what Steppingout was saying. It was stated that those who go and leave AA do better. The stats you posted are more general than that. In fact, there are a lot of holes in the statement by Steppingout, and i could ask a lot of questions.

However, not really needed. If you don't want to AA or don't like it, I don't care. What does concern me is that those who do not do AA, be it they have never gone to a meeting, never worked the program, or went to one or two meetings and never went back, would attempt to deny others the help offered through AA.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Have we AAer's been running a membership drive?
Never.
Our BB clearly states the program is not for everyone.

We have many SR members sucessfully sober with various methods.
Their recovery is just as valid as mine....

This thread is not going to turn into yet another "Our way or the Hi way"

Please chill..thank you.