Notices

Worthless experiement...or not?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worthless experiement...or not?

So...I said that I had that 12 pack of Bud Light still. today, I had one. It didn't taste nearly as good as it usually does. Which is a good thing. However, I gave up my 7 days of not drinking in order to figure that out. So I feel kinda lame. But, it was a good thing to do that to find out that it just didn't taste as good anymore...right? I didn't even drink the whole thing...dumped out about half the can. But, I still have to count it as drinkign and start over tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It was a very dangerous thing to do. You really should dump the whole 12-pack. Either you are serious about quitting or you're not.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats exactly what I did when I had booze in the house K...and even when I didn't particularly like the first one I soon polished off the rest.

You're at a crossroads I think. What you do now is very important.

D
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I could never 'consider' quitting without not having ANY booze in the house. That's not quitting -it's merely stopping. Pour the rest out....and please try again. IT will always be in the back of your mind if you know its there.
I know you can do it if you try hard enough -you did make it 7 days, right?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have to agree with suki. Pour the rest out too. That is, if you have a desire to stop drinking.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, 7 days. And actually, last fall I made it a couple months. I know i can do it. I do need to get it all out of the house. I think that there are going to have to be a lot of changes in order for this to work...but unfortunatly, they are not all within my control...
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of members here live with drinkers, or work in restaurants or bars or liquor stores or are musicians or whatever K...

sometimes things are not ideal for quitting (is there ever a good time?) but I believe nothing's a deal breaker if you really want to be sober

D
Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, Dee is right. Things are not always ideal for us to stop drinking. It's a question of wanting it badly enough.

And, I think keeping alcohol in the house is such a bad idea. Years later, I still don't ever have alcohol in the house.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If there is an open bottle I can sniff that thing out like a blood hound and it will soon be an empty bottle. Do yourself a favor and dump the crap out.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I have to admit that (even if you knew you would pour the rest of the beer out), it seems like a strange experiment....... but then that alcoholic part of us has all kinds of crazy justifications for taking a drink.

Do you know what lead up to that point and why you're holding onto that 12 pack?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Do you know what lead up to that point and why you're holding onto that 12 pack?
I was just thinking about it today. I knew I still had it. Was just wondering if it would still taste the same. After getting the letter in the mail from DMV yesterday, I have been feeling really disgusted with myself, and with alcohol. I wanted to know if it would still have the taste I longed for for so many years, or if it would taste different. And it does taste different. So that is a good thing.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i think you are still "romancing" your drinking....why don't you put some energy into remaining sober???? what is it going to take for you? do you really want to test the waters by continuing to drink if you know what may happen?

please remember your DUI and all the problems that go with your drinking....toss the beer and believe in yourself.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe you're not convinced you are an alcoholic.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I need to quit. It's the only way that i am going to get through all this stuff in my life. I need to face what is going on with a clear mind, and drinking does not allow that. I need to take the energy that I have put into drinking, and focus it on working out and working (although tomorrow is day 8 in a row, so Idk how much more energy I can focus there). I feel like, between drinking and worrying about my marriage, all my energy is gone. But, if I can back off on both, and focus more on bettering myself, I think I will be ok. That's what I started to do back in the Fall, and it got me through a couple months of sobriety. I just need to hold onto it this time.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The truth is, sobreity isn't a race with a finish line. Whether you say you have a week, or are starting over, you are where you are. I know it's said over and over, but all any of us have it today. Do we want to be active in our disease or do we want to be in recovery?

It's taken me a long time to figure that out. When I was a week, or 30 days, or 90 days, etc I always looked at others and thought I would be cured when I had "what they have". It seemed like the struggle would be over when I could just get where they are. Everyone that I shared that with told me the same thing I'm telling you. It really is a day at a time.

My goal is just to not drink for the day. Each morning I ask my HP to help me do his will and not mine and to keep me sober. Shifting my focus off of "how many days I have" to making the most of the day I am living, has made my life better, my sobriety a little easier to keep in perspective, and my recovery much stronger.

Most of us don't end up at SR because we haven't experamented enough. I experameted for 20 years before getting here. Why waste another second proving what I already know - I am an alcoholic and without recovery I am hopeless.

Don't know if that helps. I wish you the best...
Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Really? You think that if you do the same thing that didn't work last time, it will work this time?

Is that like the "let's see how this tastes and if it isn't good then I can quit drinking" experiment?

I don't mean to be harsh, but these don't sound like very workable plans for getting sober and staying that way. Seems to me something a bit more, um, RADICAL is in order. Like getting rid of every drop of booze in the house and throwing every ounce of your being into your recovery--whether that is with outpatient treatment, rehab, AA, or whatever method you choose.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Yes, these experiments always turn out the same, not good. What happened to selling the beer to a friend? I have seen this over and over again. You hung on to the beer because you are going to drink it. Alcoholics don't drink for the taste of it. They drink to get drunk. So you now say it doesn't taste good to you. That will not be the end of it. What if you try your experiment again and it does taste good? Then you will be off and running and who knows what will happen then? The scenario pretty much remains the same. You won't like it, or someone won't, I'm willing to bet. Sorry for being so blunt, but this has got to stop. Most of us have already been through this and know how it ends. Give up the experiments and try something that has worked for others. You have a few options. If you are serious you will get serious. Best wishes...
Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
I need to quit. I need to take the energy that I have put into drinking, and focus it on working out and working (although tomorrow is day 8 in a row, so Idk how much more energy I can focus there)
Man can I relate to that. "I need to take the energy I have and focus it on working out". I said that so many times I should be an Ironman by now. My experience is this will fail. Sorry to be naysayer... I just know it was for me.

The biggest part of my disease that was killing me was my self absorbtion. I tried to fix me by thinking about me 24/7. I need this, I should do that, If I look like this then all will be better. The truth is I win by doing for others. By helping other alcoholics, by doing nice things for my wife when she doesn't ask, by being there for my kids all the time, by asking God to help me get rid of my defects of character - ego, greed, lust, etc... By doing these things I forget about me. When I realize how small a role I play in my outside world it allows me to focus on what's really important. By focusing on those things I finally feel OK in my own skin and no longer need alcohol to create that world for me.

That is when I have found I "get better". I'm not saying that working out is bad, because it's clearly not. I just used to think it was the cure all. And when I viewed it like that it was just more of the same acloholic thinking that was ruining my life and killing me.

I am 100% convinced we get better when we start thinking of ourselves less and others more - and then follow up the thoughts with actions.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
I am 100% convinced we get better when we start thinking of ourselves less and others more - and then follow up the thoughts with actions.
And, sometimes, it means taking the action, and the thoughts will follow. I've heard it said that we can act our way into right thinking more easily than we can think ourselves into right acting.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your DUI was, what, a week ago, and now you're taste-testing beer?? Sounds like a whole lotta rationalization goin' on... I'd think the DUI would have scared the taste out of your mouth but apparently not... I hope you're done now...