Notices

Worthless experiement...or not?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
After getting the letter in the mail from DMV yesterday, I have been feeling really disgusted with myself, and with alcohol. I wanted to know if it would still have the taste I longed for for so many years, or if it would taste different.
Do you see the disconnect between the two sentences?

I think everyone is being straight with you because we've all been there. Maybe it is a good thing that it didn't taste the same, but it reminds me of the times when I was proud that I only drank 3 glasses of wine instead of 6 or 8.

I don't want you to feel bad about yourself, only trying to stress that this is a cunning, baffling and powerful disease. We're here for you!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know I have said it before..but the thing is one of these times could be the time where it is way WORSE than a DUI. My friend that I have posted about before..hell he went to rehab (I think twice) and just kept going back to test the water. I go to work and get an email from a mutual friend that he died. No one knew how or what or why..I figured car wreck because like Rain Man he was an excellent driver including when he was hammered..well come to find out he choked to death on his own vomit. It was 2 wks before his birthday. AND I am trying to think of her name..if you need more confirmation or "experiments"..yeah Gypsy Feet. Her husband was found dead after going on a bender. It just makes me so angry. We all have people that love us. It is just not fair to anyone to die like this. And you are still in your wedding dress...you have a whole life in front of you..
Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Kristin --

Listen to these people here. They are so right. As Dee said, things are never ideal to quit. There is always an excuse to put it off if you want to keep drinking. and you ARE at a crossroads. You know you cannot handle alcohol.

As Lexie said, what you did last time only kept you sober for so long. It didn't work. You drank again and ended up with a DUI, a new bottom for you. Do the same thing again, get the same result. You need to find a new path to sobriety, one that includes support and learning tools.

And you have to decide, are you an alcoholic? If you are, you cannot drink safely. Ever. Again. Never.

If you do, there is the possibility you will not get another chance to try sobriety again.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
...it reminds me of the times when I was proud that I only drank 3 glasses of wine instead of 6 or 8.
Tonight I noted in my AA meeting that before I embraced my alcoholism I made insane rationalizations like "OK...I'm only going to drink nine of this twelver". Crazier yet, I actually manged to convince myself such an agreement demonstrated control!

BTW, we were in a BB study that covered the first four pages of Chapter 3. With all due respect to this not being a 12 step forum, I am compelled to note this excerpt is quite appropriate to the current convo.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Tonight I noted in my AA meeting that before I embraced my alcoholism I made insane rationalizations like "OK...I'm only going to drink nine of this twelver". Crazier yet, I actually manged to convince myself such an agreement demonstrated control!
Picked up a new term from a speaker last night for this -- Alkilogic.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You've already got a lot of great advice. I hope you pour that beer out, I can't even tell you how much booze I poured down the drain trying to get sober...my first day sober I poured out a brand new 1.5 liter bottle of wine. It was the best thing I ever did. I hope you get some help...whatever you want, just do something more than not drinking.

Hugs!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lot of good advice here Trixie
Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

good morning Trixie;

i hope today finds you with some strength and resolve that you can focus on not drinking....and rebuild your life to be happy and content.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Trix..Can't say it better than Fandy!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Gee Ed, do cows bite? I dunno Pete, wanna find out?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I couldn't pour out the drinks at the bars and restaurants I worked at I would get fired, but I had to make a commitment to do what I could to make it as easy as possible for me to quit. It killed me to pour out 5 dollar vodka. Thats 5 dollars!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Let me help save your fingers.....the stove is still hot...