Letting go

Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting go

My ex-boyfriend is an alcoholic who won't admit it. We lived together for 3 years and were best friends for 5 years prior to that. I moved out 4 weeks ago after I found out he cheated on me. A year ago I admitted to myself that he had a problem with drinking however; it was apparent long before that. I stopped drinking with him and began to ask him to stop (I am now attending Al-anon and realize that this did not help matters). He started pushing me away and the more he pushed the needier and more insecure I became. I have realized now my co-dependence and am working on that. I have thrown myself into therapy, Al-anon, self-help books and church.

It is taking everything in me to let go and to not contact him. I know all the right things to say, that I need to work on me and I need to let him go but my heart is broken and I thought he was the one for me, I thought he was my soul mate. I guess I am just looking for support to let him go. Some moments I am feeling good and then the next moment I am in tears. There is so much more to our story but this is a start.
Thank you for reading.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Startover and welcome to SR.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad you found us! You will find lots of support and information here. It sounds like you are doing really well.....keep up the great work! It won't always be easy........
M
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Grief is painful. Time will heal all wounds. Stay strong!

~T
Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome,

Glad you're here and that you are doing things to take good care of yourself. It all takes time, but it's worth it!

Hugs,