Notices

Freaking out

Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freaking out

My short story - was sober for 8 years. For last few years have been off and on. Lately, it's been like two weeks off and two weeks on. I only drink at night, so I am holding down a job okay. But I've been feeling bad and scared. Last drink Friday night. Saw a doc that day and admitted my problem. She is hooking me up with a psychiatrist. I also came online to try to find places to reach out and connect.

But I have had issues with depression - and yesterday and today, I have been very depressed and scared. More depressed than I've been in a long time.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I wonder what made you decide to go back to drinking after 8 years sober? Hopefully you can figure out what triggered you and then work on that. Alcohol is a depressant, so it could be that your depression will lift once you stop drinking. If not, it could be that you need to have your depression treated.

I'm glad you found us and that you are seeking support.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I write when depressed, it's like a "mirror". You see truth. Have a go at least.
Don't think of anything to write, because you are where ya at, ( depressed ) cos of those thoughts are already there. What are the fears, and write them down.
Hope it helps.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We discussed depression in rehab and it was said that you are best to quit the drinking and give your head some time to recover before running to a doctor. Most will prescribe you something right away. You need to clear your head and get in touch with what you're feeling -and what lead up to the drinking again.
I wonder why you could quit for so long and then go back. I'm sorry about that...! That is very discouraging. But we are here for you...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I agree with the other posts. Recently I was very depressed (also and alcoholic and have bipolar disorder) and went into a treatment center for detox. I was put on the right meds, and the depression lifted immediately (first day of not drinking).
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lunita100 .....

jcaddell...

depression was also part of my drinking history...glad you are being pro active about yours.....

welcome to our recovery community
Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! You're not alone. I'm one of those who went back to drinking after a good bit of sobriety. I needed to have some mental/emotional issues addressed, too.

The support here really helps! Keep reading and posting...... Together, we can do this!:ghug3
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Lunita!

If you were sober for 8 years, you certainly can achieve that again. I find checking into the forum twice a day keeps me on course.

Best wishes!!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. Just knowing there are people out there who understand helps a lot. I honestly don't know what made me go back. I almost think it was a kind of curiosity - hmm - maybe I could do that a bit and be okay. Stupid thinking for an alcoholic. I am going to try coming to these forums a couple of times a day. I have a real long commute to work and it's hard for me to get to face-to-face meetings, so I figure online support could be a big help.

I forgot to mention that I already take meds for depression. Have for a while. But I didn't like the psych I was seeing and stopped seeing him. The meds are being prescribed by my primary care, so it's definitely time for a check-in.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You were sober for 8 years, that's great. Now you are relapsing over and over. I can relate to your story. So what are you going to do differently this time to quit for good? For me, it was getting into AA. Trying to do it by myself wasn't working.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lunita
Welcome to you too jjcaddell

D