Notices

had half a beer to "celebrate" my week anniversary.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

had half a beer to "celebrate" my week anniversary.

trying not to beat myself up about it..i need to go to a meeting..any advice?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WC1990

Welcome to SR

Well...Not much to go on from your post but I guess my advice is to look at how you 'celebrate' - I dunno about you, but by the time I quit there was nothing celebratory about what happened to me when I drank.

D
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right...i meant that in a really sarcastic way..
i just don't know what happened
i haven't been to a meeting in 5 days..and that one was only my 2nd time to go
i had turned down some earlier in the night and i passed up on a joint
i'm still in the "cocaine/pills/etc is what give me problems,why can't i have a beer or a joint?" phase..or maybe the trying to convince myself that i can moderate my drinking/using.i don't know..
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok sorry I missed the sarcasm - it took me a long time to get past the idea of drink as a reward.

I know I had major trouble staying clean and sober hanging around drinkers and smokers.

What about surrounding yourself with sober people for a while man?

D
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wc1990 View Post
i'm still in the "cocaine/pills/etc is what give me problems,why can't i have a beer or a joint?" phase...
I was in that phase for years... Cocaine & pills are what gave me problems initially, so I replaced them with booze, but the drinking ultimately ended up delivering me even more (with harsher consequences to boot). The descent might be a bit slower, but the madness is the same and that hole can be just as deep, regardless of your weapon of choice. Hope you are able to get back on a track, and yes, probably a very good idea to get to a meeting.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well..i don't really know any completely 100% sober people and my friends that drink or smoke that aren't addicts are at college in other towns..the only reason i'm not a fullblown alcoholic is i'm only 20 and the other week i had sort of a wakeup call...that i don't want to die/or **** my nose up or get arrested and that being ****** up all the time is stopping me from doing what i want to do in life..and i was so proud of myself for going a week without smoking weed and 2 weeks tomorrow without coke..i'm already not sure what i'm going to do about my 21st birthday.but..as they say i can only stay be sober for today.i do plan on trying to get to a meeting.i just really don't want another 24 hour chip...i know this is a bit of a ramble..but i truely appreciate anyone who listens
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of sober peeps here, wc - and lots more at AA too

D
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi WC! And welcome to SR!

Its great you are getting sober young...don't f*** up you whole life. There are people here your age who are getting sober so it can be done. You might have to change some things though. There are NA and AA meetings for young people...might be a good way to meet sober friends.

I'm with Dee...changing the thought of alcohol as a "reward" is a really helpful step
Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome WC!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to fully embrace the idea that you can no longer drink. If you think there's room for doubt there, then your mind will continue to play with you.

You can always find sober friends by looking around your community and getting involved in helping out some way whether it's sports or music or whatever you can do to help others in your area. It's a great way to meet people.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wc1990 View Post
well..i don't really know any completely 100% sober people and my friends that drink or smoke that aren't addicts are at college in other towns..the only reason i'm not a fullblown alcoholic is i'm only 20 and the other week i had sort of a wakeup call...that i don't want to die/or **** my nose up or get arrested and that being ****** up all the time is stopping me from doing what i want to do in life..and i was so proud of myself for going a week without smoking weed and 2 weeks tomorrow without coke..i'm already not sure what i'm going to do about my 21st birthday.but..as they say i can only stay be sober for today.i do plan on trying to get to a meeting.i just really don't want another 24 hour chip...i know this is a bit of a ramble..but i truely appreciate anyone who listens
Hey WC! Your getting there my friend. 2 weeks without coke is good. Be glad of that. Try not to beat yourself up about the slip. Just jump back on the horse and go to a meeting. I know it can be embarrassing picking up another white chip, but don't let it keep you away. I have more white chips than I can count! Also, how close are you to jackson, ms? Jackson has a huge young aa/na group. I got some great sober friends while I was in Jackson. Good luck and hang in there!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I needed new friends ..everyone I knew was at best an excessive drinker.
I found new ones in my AA meetings...

Glad you are here...Welcome....