Notices

How to find medical help

Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to find medical help

I know we can't ask for/receive medical advice here, but I am looking for hints on how to find some in the real world. Do I just call my general practitioner? Do I need to call a psychiatrist? I am afraid of detoxing without medical help, but I am not sure where to turn. My primary doctor is kind of a jerk, and getting in to see mental health folks around here is near impossible (I have tried before for depression).
Do I just walk into an emergency room? Will they commit me? I have a child at home that I need to care for so I am not looking for inpatient care. Sorry if I am rambling, just scared. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to a state run detox center it's free was in there for 4 days the best thing i could have done. I found it by asking a cop
Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Are you looking for detox help or some other kind of help? Any ER can help you with detox and no, they will not commit you unless you pose a danger to yourself or someone else.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know what kind of help I am looking for - I don't know what is out there. I just wrote more but deleted it because it sounds like I'm asking for advice on my specific situation and I don't want to break the rules. I will just call my doctor I guess.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, alcohol detox is dangerous. Are you able to do a medical detox in a facility? I did that and I highly recommend it. Not only do they detox you safely, while you are there, you also learn some coping skills for when cravings hit. If you can't do that, then I suggest you either go to the ER or to another medical facility like Care Now or Prima Care. Not sure what they are called in your area, but they are staffed by doctors who can help you.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Please do check with your GP about how best to de tox
from whatever you are useing.

If you live in the US...please see if this gives you resorces

National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at
1-800-662-HELP
This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community
and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

hope that is still the correct number...I've not checked it recently
All my best to you an your child

Last edited by CarolD; 03-16-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Calling your dr is a good idea, and he/she may have suggestions as to whether he would refer you to a psychiatrist.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think pretty much anywhere you go could help you...cop, doctor, ER, psychiatrist. They could at least tell you where to go next. Also, there are hotlines as well (usually through insurance). I have one for bluecross where you just get a nurse and they can answer your questions about where to go or who to talk to.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

Crisis line

Originally Posted by FinallyforMe View Post
I know we can't ask for/receive medical advice here, but I am looking for hints on how to find some in the real world. Do I just call my general practitioner? Do I need to call a psychiatrist? I am afraid of detoxing without medical help, but I am not sure where to turn. My primary doctor is kind of a jerk, and getting in to see mental health folks around here is near impossible (I have tried before for depression).
Do I just walk into an emergency room? Will they commit me? I have a child at home that I need to care for so I am not looking for inpatient care. Sorry if I am rambling, just scared. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Hi,

I hope this helps. Most cities have a crisis line that you can call instead of 911. All the crisis lines have volunteers who have a whole list of resources depending on what your "crisis" is. Like a suicide resource, for example. Or domestic violence, for another.

I called my local crisis line for myself once about 10 years ago when I had quit my antidepressants cold turkey (not a good idea, but mine were making me worse) and I was at the end of my emotional rope, and my husband couldn't handle my current state of anxiety. I had to try about three different numbers they gave me to find what I wanted, because I was not on the street and it seems in some cities you can't get psych emergency help unless you are suicidal, on the street, or have insurance. I was none of those. But I did find a lot of resources that way.

Some of these people, being volunteers, will tell you the names of doctors who are sympathetic to the problems you are having. Also, calling the ER in some cities will get you a triage nurse who will give you the names of doctors on call for the various situations they encounter. Even though a lot of those doctors HAVE TO take call, some of them volunteer to do it and can be a good start for outpatient assessment.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

See your private physician first, it might save you a bunch of hassle.