Notices

DR gave me pills and scared

Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DR gave me pills and scared

Hi new here
I went to the doc to day 15 days with out beer after drinking 12 to 24 a day wife through me out of the house now living in my shop went to dtox 4 days
any way the DR gave me campral 333 mg, hydralazine 25 mg, propranolol 10mg, and sertraline. I do not like to take drugs and kind of scared to start taking all of this I don't whant to feel that far from my self
Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think you should talk to your dr about your concerns with your medications.

We can't offer any medical advice here.

Congratulations on your 15 days sober.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will talk to the doctor sme more and thank you
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And hang in there. I know things are tough right now, but 15 days is great. You can do it.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will beat this I now choose not to drink and I read about the meds made me feel better I will still call the DR
Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All I can do is share my experience. When I was getting sober I was still taking my Dr. prescribed xanax. I was very concerned about this. What I did was be very honest with her about my use (I didn't abuse xanax but did take it daily). Long story short, she put a plan of action together for me (regarding my medication - her action plan for my alcoholism was AA) I followed it, and today I am alcohol free (and xanax free).

My point is, I thought that since I had learned so much about alcoholism and accepted that I was alcoholic that I suddenly had a medical degree. I thought I had to figure out what drugs I could take and what I couldn't. Turns out honesty is all we need. The doctors are far more qualified at prescribing (or not prescribing) the correct medication. It's our job to provide them with the truth.

Best of luck!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome riptide - Way to go on 15 days - that's a great start!! Sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like you're using it for motivation to stay sober, which is a very good thing!

Hope you get some satisfactory answers from your doctor...... In the meantime, hang around - there's a lot of good support here!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on chooseing a sober future ...
and for your sober time

welcome...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I share exactly the same feelings as you riptide. My doc prescribed meprobamate and I didn't really want to take them. I want to get better, and I didn't see how replacing alcohol with pills was going to make that happen. I did start a couple of days ago, and the results have been amazing... They turned me from a complete mess into something functional - I feel like I could even go back to work (I have a really stressful job too). Anyway, I'm going to talk to him about this at 6:30pm and other options like an inpatient clinic (which I'm booked in for but am not sure it's the best thing...).
Old 03-08-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A lot of us alcoholics/addicts do similar things. Def. tlak with your Dr.

I know for me, while I was still in detox and probably hadnt eaten a "real" non liquid meal in a long long time, I would look at the food and people would say, you dont eat anything and I immediately would say, I just try to eat really helthy and clean and this stuff is all loaded down w/ butter and oil. HAHA!

I also becam VERY anti medication, even scared to death b/c I had a lot of headaches after detox, but noting an ibuprofein, or someting over the counter wount help, and was scared to take it for fear of stomach bleeding, when just a few days before I was injecting highly addictive pain medication and injecting it into myself.

Im still really scared of what combinations of certain meds will do, when for 5 years I took any/all meds I could and still drank my "normal" 12-24 (LARGE) beers a day.

I think its pretty normal, maybe you jest need to research the dugs,a nd get a better understand from your dr. what each are for, there is a reason for each, but yes VERY interesting to me that I went fom being a hot mess, I guess to I went right back trying to be who I was before the drinking/drugs, b/c they were gone, and I just learned after a brief relapse (that taught me so much and not justifying it but glad I stayed plugged into the program, b.c I did lean a lot and am back on track) but I now know I dont know how to live/be sober and its a process to find out who I am and how to live sober now, I just dont get the junk out of my system and become who I was before that long period of time, I have to relearn who I am.
I am am still a healthy super healthy eater, great, if I am concerned about the medecines (legal) I mix fine, but right now, I am not that person, I am a prson in recovery that needs to figure out who I am.
So right now, I am a blank slate (not totally) but I NEED to take my Dr's recommendations (but I have the right to ask questions, submit concerns, they will listen and maybe adjust according to your thought and/or concerns) and I NEEd to listen to what worked to live sober from those who sucessfully are b.c I just had 16 of the best days of my life, and I couldnt handle it b.c I dont know how to live sober, I dont now who i am today, but I am certianly excited about the journey.
Good luck, at least call your Dr's nursing line and discuss the meds and allow her to explain what each if for, and why you were given them, (you have an infection you take the antibiotics right?) but us addicts/alcoholics like to self medicate (obviously) and think we know whats best for us, if we did we would certainly not be here. (but Im glad you and everyone else is
<3 best